AD for Football only

Indiana University, which views its basketball much as UM views its footballs, and which has also been mired in mediocrity since the days of Bobby Knight!, hired Thad Matta, former OSU head coach, as AD of basketball. Only basketball. Let the other AD focus on all the other sports.
I researched this. Matta is associate AD and still reports to the AD. I was wanting to know if there is an instance where the individual sport AD, works independently and has complete autonomy over that sport and reports to no one except a school president or board?

Advertisement
So I've been wondering, is there a precedent for this at any school that we know of? I begin to doubt (sadly) that Blake will be thrown in the trash like the garbage that he is. So, the next best thing is to remove him from power over the football team and by doing that, bring in an Athletic Director for Football exclusively or a Director of Football Operations to Miami. My question is, has this been done at the college level anywhere?
ASU tried it and didn't help much ... just added another multi million dollar salary to the department.

Will you promise to get back to us when you come up with something?
Trying to come up with solutions my man as oppose to constantly complaining about problems. We know the problem already. The issue now is how can alums, fans, boosters, and people who care about the problem help fix it knowing how much of a challenge it is with Blake and the BOT as roadblocks. Firing Manny is obvious and the easy part. What worries me is the guy who picked Manny then gets to pick the next hire. That's no bueno.

I researched this. Matta is associate AD and still reports to the AD. I was wanting to know if there is an instance where the individual sport AD, works independently and has complete autonomy over that sport and reports to no one except a school president or board?
I know some people associated with the IU basketball program as 2 nephews played there under Crean and MIller. Regardless of the title, Matta is kind of his own boss. Technically he still reports to the AD, but the position was created to be quasi-independent of the rest of the athletic program. We’ll see if it works but at least it shows the seriousness the school has placed on basketball.

Advertisement
Just fire Blake and get a real AD instead of spending more money to work around his incompetence.
**** right.gif

I know some people associated with the IU basketball program as 2 nephews played there under Crean and MIller. Regardless of the title, Matta is kind of his own boss. Technically he still reports to the AD, but the position was created to be quasi-independent of the rest of the athletic program. We’ll see if it works but at least it shows the seriousness the school has placed on basketball.

What? You mean that a paper org chart and official job titles aren't the end-all/be-all on how an Athletic Department is structured?

I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you...

W?TF would ANY school do that?

W?TF would ANYONE accept such a limited position?

Talk about BLOAT.

It's just adding another costly layer of administration
See my post above about That Matt’s holding the spot at IU as AD of basketball. At least they are trying

Advertisement
See my post above about That Matt’s holding the spot at IU as AD of basketball. At least they are tryingthat a

Understood. I saw it.

Just pointing out the fact ALL ideas aren't necessarily good ideas.

We simply disagree on what should be tried. No big deal.

I don’t see that happening. It’s more checks to write. More people to hire to support it. Just more expenditures for a department that’s gone AWOL. Ed Reed probably just has a work station and a phone.
The money is there. Alonzo was all set to be hired after 2019 season, with his salary being paid by a booster. Manny and Blake nixed it.

Talk about BLOAT.

Why? Because running a football organization and running an athletic department require different set of skills and knowledge. It’s smart and there are schools doing it.

Why? Because running a football organization and running an athletic department require different set of skills and knowledge. It’s smart and there are schools doing it.

Just create a separate Dept of Revenue Sports that controls Football, Baseball and Basketball.
Let the Blake run the rest...

Advertisement

Talk about BLOAT.

Point taken, but not necessarily.

Would need large program committed to winning, but it could work quite well. Tons of examples of large organizations being designed and stuctured this way.

Those roles really become "general managers" with that setup.

To be honest, might be superior with the right personalities.

While having someone in the AD that actually knows football would be a huge plus, to me its a sign of poor management. Instead of getting rid of the problem (Blake/Jen/others) you are covering up for them.

Advertisement
Understood. I saw it.

Just pointing out the fact ALL ideas aren't necessarily good ideas.

We simply disagree on what should be tried. No big deal.
I’m not even advocating for the Football AD. Just noting that IU is trying the idea.

Advertisement
Back