According to sources: Mario Cristobal will be the next Head Coach at Miami

Advertisement
I don't really get the delay here... The decision is as good as made. Is Mario really gonna go back to his team and administration and Phil Knight after all this flirting with Miami and try to carry on with a straight face? I can't see it.
It wasn’t supposed to be announced until today, maybe tomorrow . The leak caused the chaos .

62-60 and just got his shït pushed in in his conference Championship game. If it was anyone else, no one on here would be excited about him being the coach
Dumb false narrative there. If it's just about Mario being a Miami guy then why is he widely considered a top coach nationally? Why is his name mentioned on the potential wish list for major openings across the country? In articles I read about the LSU, Oklahoma, USC, and Florida openings his name had come up as one of the top coaches to target.

Advertisement
Furthermore, that former Oklahoma State coach was ripped by the Miami press for "always losing the big games" in 1984. And 1985. And 1986.

Only in 1987 did the UM fans in SoFla, and the SoFla press, give favorable feedback on that coach.

And then a year later he was gone.
Fans weren't much happier with Erickson's hire from Washington State. That worked out well too (2xNC).

I said the Oregon team meeting was 11 (2 Eastern) last night… it’s actually at 11 eastern.

Heard a press conference is shooting to be Wednesday and include Mario and the AD together.

Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Richt accept the Miami job several days before his introductory press conference? And that didn't even include the "hiring a new AD" complication.

And I have no idea what prompted the chaos again or the tweets from Mike Ryan. He’s been spot on so I’m sure it was something.

It’s a little too late to back track when there’s a plane scheduled to pick you up, you canceled recruiting visits, scheduled a team meeting, etc etc. The Oregon bridge is burnt.

Advertisement
He's not interested. He still gets paid 5 million and some change while being an analyst for the Chicago Bears. He's probably enjoying the cush job while learning and waiting for his next gig after next year.
Let’s ask him to be sure. Herman is a young guy and I bet he still has the fire it’s not about money with most of these guys.

Fans weren't much happier with Erickson's hire from Washington State. That worked out well too (2xNC).

Yes. At least Dennis had the foresight to win a ring in his first year. JJ was so clueless that he waited 4 years to win a ring at Miami...

And I'll be honest, I was wrong in 1989. I didn't oppose the Erickson hire, I just thought that the big changes in offense would take some time to get rolling, as we had some good running backs who would not get as many carries and we had historically just lined up 2 solid WRs on either side of the ball. I thought it would take a couple of years for Erickson could get the personnel to run his offense. Man, was I wrong about that.

Anyone is free to correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Richt accept the Miami job several days before his introductory press conference? And that didn't even include the "hiring a new AD" complication.
Richt was hired on the 2nd and had his intro presser on the 4th. He recruited on the 3rd

Advertisement

Most times they come to terms but as you know it takes 1-2 days to get all the t’s crossed and i’s dotted. The plan was to announce firings / hiring s Monday and presser midweek. Maybe there’s a change but that’s the last I heard.

Advertisement
If all of this is correct, IM JUST SAYIN... it is odd and we didn't really learn our lesson from the last coaching change.

1. Simultaneous offers out to a head coach and an athletic director, but they haven't even met each other yet.

2. An AD had no say in the hire.

3. This would be the second straight hire with zero national search conducted.

4. It's now public knowledge you're awaiting a decision on hiring a new coach, while you still employ your current coach.

Seems like a really dysfunctional process, and one where we had the chance to re-organize our power structure to be more in line with the traditional method of the President and athletic director handling hirings, not two BOT members.

Instead we got this. Hopefully this madness ends with a coaching upgrade, but you have to call it like it is.
David lake said infamously that all the noise and misinformation out there was a play to make the admin and university look like a total joke…

but any of whom that have attended the university or have close ties to those who work there, in ANY capacity, know that perception is in fact reality here. This type of chaos aligns perfectly with the “Banana Republic” namesake that describes our local government. They literally have done zero % of what they set out to do, and also have done it slower than all of our competitors, while being squarely in the public eye.

I hate it here, ****

There’s so many details in this contract related to the program and budget and all of that… because it didn’t exist here before. We didn’t have a baseline to present to him. The whole thing is new from strength, nutrition, adidas stuff, facility upgrades, staff budget, analysts, etc.

This was a long process especially without an AD in place and someone that knows what these budgets look like to lay it out… like Radakovich. Frenk and his advisors went in with an open mind and basically let him lay out what he needed and he got it.

By all means from what I’ve heard - everything I laid out in my post last week is being addressed - including the stadium (they’re gonna take a shot at it) - I would be very excited about the direction of the program.

Advertisement
Back