ACCDN: Miami Defense

DT recruiting remains an unsolved mystery until 2-3 more commits roll in.

They fell short at TE, DT, CB, RB...yet they have the #1 class for 2018. Weird.

Advertisement
I just can't see how FSU cracks 14-17 points vs us this year. They scored 20 last year. They lost Cook & our D will be lightyears better then an already pretty **** good D. Call me crazy but I see a 13-10 Canes win at Doak this year.

I think this is one of our paths to victory. A low scoring slug fest. Keep field position. My concern is that their defense is also very good, so we cannot have a turnover that flips the field or puts points on the board for them. Maybe a big special teams play or two on our end. But I agree on the premise - I don't think their offense is going to be some dynamo either
It's about our offense. How many times will we go 3 and out? How many short fields? Conventional wisdom would say play it tight and make it a field position game. I say that strategy is as likely to lead us to trouble. We had a disproportionate amount of 3 and outs last year. Part of that was Kaaya's inability to extend plays on 3rd down, sure. The other part was "run to setup pass" and a delayed adjustment to shorter drops.

I'm just not sure we have the strength up front to hold up in pass protection and they are too athletic to get beat by RPO. I think we need to test them down the seam but will any of our QBs be able to hit those shots around the backers and their safeties? Especially with their front guys coming in hot? I'm not sure. Can we beat them on the perimeter with our speed? I'm with you on the offense and I think a vertical passing game, especially between the hashes, is the key to victory. I just don't know if we have what we need up front to make it happen. It's not even Sweat or Burns that make me nervous, it's Nnadi and Christmas bullying the interior and collapsing the pocket. Do we have what we need to stress their linebackers (their weakest position group) and take James out of the box?

I just can't see how FSU cracks 14-17 points vs us this year. They scored 20 last year. They lost Cook & our D will be lightyears better then an already pretty **** good D. Call me crazy but I see a 13-10 Canes win at Doak this year.

I think this is one of our paths to victory. A low scoring slug fest. Keep field position. My concern is that their defense is also very good, so we cannot have a turnover that flips the field or puts points on the board for them. Maybe a big special teams play or two on our end. But I agree on the premise - I don't think their offense is going to be some dynamo either
It's about our offense. How many times will we go 3 and out? How many short fields? Conventional wisdom would say play it tight and make it a field position game. I say that strategy is as likely to lead us to trouble. We had a disproportionate amount of 3 and outs last year. Part of that was Kaaya's inability to extend plays on 3rd down, sure. The other part was "run to setup pass" and a delayed adjustment to shorter drops.

I'm just not sure we have the strength up front to hold up in pass protection and they are too athletic to get beat by RPO. I think we need to test them down the seam but will any of our QBs be able to hit those shots around the backers and their safeties? Especially with their front guys coming in hot? I'm not sure. Can we beat them on the perimeter with our speed? I'm with you on the offense and I think a vertical passing game, especially between the hashes, is the key to victory. I just don't know if we have what we need up front to make it happen. It's not even Sweat or Burns that make me nervous, it's Nnadi and Christmas bullying the interior and collapsing the pocket. Do we have what we need to stress their linebackers (their weakest position group) and take James out of the box?
I'm basically spending my summer watching and analyzing FSU. Can't wait to watch them against 'Bama, which should really help us get a look at their wrinkles against the RPO. So far, what I see is a really stout defense (at least relative to ACC play) they'll put out. You're right it starts with their duo in the middle. Nnadi, especially.

Assuming health, they have a ton of options in their secondary. Derwin James provides a lot of flexibility. While FSU guys have already disagreed with me, I think McFadden (future draft status and all) is a potential target in their unit. He had some poor games, but he also had great games that may give them a false sense of security in his ability to play man. The chess game in how they match up with Ahmmon Richards should be fascinating.

If I'm Richt, I use Richards like a queen on the chess board. It would shock me if FSU fails to bracket him almost the entire game. For that reason, I actually play him some in the slot, ala Coley. Last year, we used Njoku like a terrible decoy. Most of our spread sets consisted of outbreaking routes, where both Njoku and Herndon couldn't separate from a smaller/faster/quicker guy like Trey Marshall. We were also at a severe disadvantage playing a guy like Berrios outside and thinking he could separate or use his body effectively on in-breaking routes. Bad stuff there.

If we win that game, it's likely because our defense created points or a guy like Jeff Thomas surprised them. Then again, they have some nice speed options (Taylor or Meyers) to throw at Thomas, too. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we had some freak technical guys helping out Coach Richt.

Last edited:
Worried about DT depth going forward Kool has 1 DT on campus in almost 2 years of recruiting.

No I don't count Bethel.
Right now, he may need to be a starter on our 2018 team.

Indeed....

We may take a step back because of it too.

They think very highly of bethel and he's put on good weight. Remember mcintosh also converted to the dt postion after spending his freshman season at end like bethel.
Plus
A group
Of
Bethel
John ford
Silvera
Briggs
3dt*
Martin
Fines
can defintiely get the job done. It demetrius Jackson doesn't slim down and keeps adding weight he might can slide there too since he's pushing 270 right now

Advertisement
Worried about DT depth going forward Kool has 1 DT on campus in almost 2 years of recruiting.

No I don't count Bethel.

Indeed....

They think very highly of bethel and he's put on good weight. Remember mcintosh also converted to the dt postion after spending his freshman season at end like bethel.
Plus
A group
Of
Bethel
John ford
Silvera
Briggs
3dt*
Martin
Fines
can defintiely get the job done. It demetrius Jackson doesn't slim down and keeps adding weight he might can slide there too since he's pushing 270 right now
Dont quote me.

You add nothing of substance ever. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

No I don't count Bethel.

Indeed....

Plus
A group
Of
Bethel
John ford
Silvera
Briggs
3dt*
Martin
Fines
Dont quote me.

Add more than you ever do, go back to worrying about the dt postion when we have the best dline coach in the country...... Sounds like the smartest thing you could do

Indeed....

Plus
A group
Of
Bethel
John ford
Silvera
Briggs
3dt*
Martin
Fines
Dont quote me.

Add more than you ever do, go back to worrying about the dt postion when we have the best dline coach in the country...... Sounds like the smartest thing you could do

You are right. 1 DT on campus in 20 months is legit recruiting.

Kill yourself and help the genome. Thanks.

Advertisement

Interception return on a Rosier throw, plus a Thomas punt muff on our own five yard line, gifts them 14 points right there.

Interception return on a Rosier throw, plus a Thomas punt muff on our own five yard line, gifts them 14 points right there.

Some serious Debbie Downer style posting... But I would be shocked if Thomas is returning punts at Doak the 3rd game of the season. Steady Berrios on PR, Thomas on KR.

I'm basically spending my summer watching and analyzing FSU. Can't wait to watch them against 'Bama, which should really help us get a look at their wrinkles against the RPO. So far, what I see is a really stout defense (at least relative to ACC play) they'll put out. You're right it starts with their duo in the middle. Nnadi, especially.

Assuming health, they have a ton of options in their secondary. Derwin James provides a lot of flexibility. While FSU guys have already disagreed with me, I think McFadden (future draft status and all) is a potential target in their unit. He had some poor games, but he also had great games that may give them a false sense of security in his ability to play man. The chess game in how they match up with Ahmmon Richards should be fascinating.

If I'm Richt, I use Richards like a queen on the chess board. It would shock me if FSU fails to bracket him almost the entire game. For that reason, I actually play him some in the slot, ala Coley. Last year, we used Njoku like a terrible decoy. Most of our spread sets consisted of outbreaking routes, where both Njoku and Herndon couldn't separate from a smaller/faster/quicker guy like Trey Marshall. We were also at a severe disadvantage playing a guy like Berrios outside and thinking he could separate or use his body effectively on in-breaking routes. Bad stuff there.

If we win that game, it's likely because our defense created points or a guy like Jeff Thomas surprised them. Then again, they have some nice speed options (Taylor or Meyers) to throw at Thomas, too. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we had some freak technical guys helping out Coach Richt.

When does the additional coach take effect?

Some serious Debbie Downer style posting... But I would be shocked if Thomas is returning punts at Doak the 3rd game of the season. Steady Berrios on PR, Thomas on KR.

No, Berrios has no buisness returning punts over Thomas. Thomas is a special talent, and he needs to touch the ball as often as possible.

Advertisement

No, Berrios has no buisness returning punts over Thomas. Thomas is a special talent, and he needs to touch the ball as often as possible.

Well, I found our additional coach. That was easier than I thought.

I've been on the record disagreeing with your position here. Count me in for conventional wisdom with a new starter on the road.

Run the ball, keep the clock ticking, play defense, and try to sneak out with a win.

**if we get them again in the ACCCG, my opinion would likely be completely opposite by that point, with the QB having 12 starts under his belt**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't count Bethel.

Indeed....

Plus
A group
Of
Bethel
John ford
Silvera
Briggs
3dt*
Martin
Fines

That's not a good group. First, I never want to rely on true freshmen DTs. More times than not they're not physically ready for the college game.

So that leaves us with Bethel, currently undersized and transitioning to DT. We haven't seen him play DT yet to believe we'll be OK relying on him.

Ford will be a true sophomore in 2018, again, will he be ready physically by then?

Martin at this point is an unknown because he has so much quality talent in front of him. Good thing about him is that he's the only player Kool brought from Mizzou to Miami when he was hired.

Fines seems to be a JAG.

It's not a pretty outlook in 2018 as it stands. Even with Silvera, Briggs (won't be ready in 2018) and whatever third DT we bring in.

Advertisement
What a difference a year makes on the LBs. We went into last season with fans slitting their wrists over our LB corps.

From a depth of talent/experience perspective UM has the #1 DL in the ACC.

I love our secondary too. Dummies are sleeping on it.

Hard-pressed to find a Freshmen class that performed better than ours, despite it's "not Alabaga good" ranking.

NC State 3rd best Dline in the ACC is kind of Bogus.

Not really, they got talent over there with Bradley Chubb who is arguably the best de in the acc.(him or the player from Boston college), kentavious street 6'2 285 running a 4.58 and 2 other good dlineman. They are regarded as one of the top dlines in the country

I dont think theyre better than FSUs dline though, kinda overrated but still a very good unit

Last edited:

don't forget punting too.. We were bailed out on a lot of those 3 and outs with an outstanding punter. Are we in good hands in that department?

No I don't count Bethel.

Indeed....

Plus
A group
Of
Bethel
John ford
Silvera
Briggs
3dt*
Martin
Fines

That's not a good group. First, I never want to rely on true freshmen DTs. More times than not they're not physically ready for the college game.

So that leaves us with Bethel, currently undersized and transitioning to DT. We haven't seen him play DT yet to believe we'll be OK relying on him.

Ford will be a true sophomore in 2018, again, will he be ready physically by then?

Martin at this point is an unknown because he has so much quality talent in front of him. Good thing about him is that he's the only player Kool brought from Mizzou to Miami when he was hired.

Fines seems to be a JAG.

It's not a pretty outlook in 2018 as it stands. Even with Silvera, Briggs (won't be ready in 2018) and whatever third DT we bring in.

No, it's not a good group at all. Not compared with how good the rest of the team should be.

Having to go the grad transfer/JUCO route entering year three is a failure on Kool's part.

Advertisement
Back