ACC unanimously supports one time transfers

I don't have an issue with this, but they need to find a way to allow schools to bring in more kids per class if they are going to continue to make it easier for kids to transfer. I know the rules limiting a school to 25 kids per year was made with good intentions to stop the Alabama's of the world from over signing and making kids grey shirt, but we have seen how hard it is for Miami to get back to 85 scholarships and one would imagine this will only make things worse.
I would hope a change like this is packaged with "5 annual transfer counters", or something along those lines

Advertisement
The ACC can say this all they want and it might start momentum, but until the NCAA gets on board, it has no weight. They will have to address the 85 scholarship/ 25 per year issue.

They already need to do something to address the initial counter rule. I don’t know exactly how, but the advent of the transfer portal makes it practically impossible under the current system to routinely keep your roster at or near the 85 scholarship limit.

From what we’ve seen so far, most CFB players in the portal are not starter quality. Sure, there are a few and we’ve been fortunate to get a few, but for the most part it seems most are looking for PT they’re not getting on their current team for obvious reasons. Include GT’s in this as well as players like KJ looking to improve their draft stock. Hurting depth is surely a negative.
Most of the guys that transferred to Miami was solid starters or got a lot of PT Except Tommy Kennedy and Tate.

They already need to do something to address the initial counter rule. I don’t know exactly how, but the advent of the transfer portal makes it practically impossible under the current system to routinely keep your roster at or near the 85 scholarship limit.
They can keep the 25/ yr rule and add 1 for every transfer out.

Advertisement
This will eliminate class rankings in recruiting because if you land a bunch of high caliber players & they don't play as TF's they're out the door.

This can be both a good & bad thing overall. It will expedite the development process & forcing coaches to play kids much faster than they want to & it will also create a vibrant Free Agency market for good players that wanna move around.

Teams like Bama, UGA, LSU etc will no longer get to hoard all the talent, kids may still be front running bandwagon riders in recruiting, but unless they play day one, they'll be recruited by other coaching staffs that can guarantee them starter roles & you'll see a lot more of those kids getting swooped from the powerhouses, even after they sign them.

It will also even the playing field with coaches, the smart personable coaches will still keep the bulk of their players, the malevolent dictator type coaches are fcked. Can't manipulate the kids anymore, can't get away with selling them a bill of goods, you either have to be a man of your word & tell them the truth or the kid will tell you to fck off & is outta there.
Unless teams cut those $100's in half and only dole out the second halves in batches of 4 -- one each year.

Why would droves of players suddenly be good enough for P5 schools simply because a coach who recruited them moved up?

Kids will get to prove their worth on a college field with college tape.

Those small school guys who get drafted high would be cherry picked to upgrade the rosters of the best teams.

This is a disaster. It allows the elite schools to use All Conference and All American teams as a recruiting tool for college proven day 1 starters.

They are conceding too much. That’s why I always advocated a system tabulating snaps so guys don’t get punished for transferring when they don’t play.

A free for all transfer market helps the elite teams. Who cares if they lose some unproven 4&5 stars? They get to recruit the best PROVEN players every year. The bags will go to productive college guys instead of unproven high schoolers.

Advertisement

Those small school guys who get drafted high would be cherry picked to upgrade the rosters of the best teams.

This is a disaster. It allows the elite schools to use All Conference and All American teams as a recruiting tool for college proven day 1 starters.

They are conceding too much. That’s why I always advocated a system tabulating snaps so guys don’t get punished for transferring when they don’t play.

A free for all transfer market helps the elite teams. Who cares if they lose some unproven 4&5 stars? They get to recruit the best PROVEN players every year. The bags will go to productive college guys instead of unproven high schoolers.
I think your over estimating the number of small school guys who would get drafted and also not considering the downside of moving up to P5.

I also think your wrong in your assumption that these transfers would be heading to elite teams. They’d be going where they can play, not where they have to compete for PT. These kids go to Miami not bama.

I think your over estimating the number of small school guys who would get drafted and also not considering the downside of moving up to P5.

I also think your wrong in your assumption that these transfers would be heading to elite teams. They’d be going where they can play, not where they have to compete for PT. These kids go to Miami not bama.

The transfers will spread around.

But the elite teams can fill out their starting lineups and holes with the nation’s best players. It doesn’t take that many guys to entrench the elite teams in their nearly unbeatable positions even more.

The transfers will spread around.

But the elite teams can fill out their starting lineups and holes with the nation’s best players. It doesn’t take that many guys to entrench the elite teams in their nearly unbeatable positions even more.
The nations best players don’t transfer very often, and if they do they’re most likely coming from an elite team, not going to one.

its much more likely that elite teams will losers players, because they’re the ones who have elite players stacked at positions.

The nations best players don’t transfer very often, and if they do they’re most likely coming from an elite team, not going to one.

its much more likely that elite teams will losers players, because they’re the ones who have elite players stacked at positions.

Because they have to sit.

Sitting a year on the five year clock is very risky. You only do it if your situation is bad.

Without that risks you will see more moves like Russell Wilson to Wisconsin, but without the player needing to sit or graduate.

Elite players go to elite teams as quickly as they can now unless there is REALLY good reason not to. Transferring when you are a starter makes no sense because you lose a year of eligibility and have no flexibility if injured. It also delays going pro. There is no upside.

Take away the risk of sitting, and the upside to transfer to an elite team with holes to fill is HUGE.

Advertisement
The best teams are filled with players who want to be there. You don't want a cancer guy who doesn't want to be here. But I'm not sure if this solution is good because when a little bit of toughness in life happens kids might not learn to push through adversity and have that run away mentality. I can also see potential benefits for this as well, so I'm conflicted.

I'd like to see them improve upon the initial counter rule, seems like we can never get close to a full roster.

I don't have an issue with this, but they need to find a way to allow schools to bring in more kids per class if they are going to continue to make it easier for kids to transfer. I know the rules limiting a school to 25 kids per year was made with good intentions to stop the Alabama's of the world from over signing and making kids grey shirt, but we have seen how hard it is for Miami to get back to 85 scholarships and one would imagine this will only make things worse.
They should net out the transfers and add (or subtract) the difference to initial counters. If you have five transfers out and three transfers in, they should allow the incoming class be 27 (e.g., 5 - 3 + 25 = 27).

You have to assume that tampering rules still apply. If any of those "elite" schools start recruiting players before they hit the portal (ala Linguard), there should be severe penalties.

Advertisement
You have to assume that tampering rules still apply. If any of those "elite" schools start recruiting players before they hit the portal (ala Linguard), there should be severe penalties.

Just like there are severe penalties for elite teams who provide players with impermissible benefits and performance enhancing drugs?

It depends on how they count against initial counters. If they allow transfer outs to net against transfers in, it should work out fine.

Advertisement
Back