ACC Tournament seeding...

Advertisement
Tuesdays winner between Clemson and Virginia will make it a three way tie when we beat Pitt. Will that change anything?

Advertisement
Tuesdays winner between Clemson and Virginia will make it a three way tie when we beat Pitt. Will that change anything?
Think we need Clemson to win as we beat them and Pitt lost to them. If UVA wins and we beat Pitt, it’s a 3 way tie and both Pitt and Miami are 2-1 vs that group. Not sure what the next tie-breaker is.

Pitt plays ND this week. They’ll probably beat them.

Miami only has 1 regular season game left.

UVA has 2 games left (home vs Clemson and Louisville)

Let’s assume UVA wins both. Pitt beats ND. Miami beats Pitt on Saturday.

I *think* Miami wins the 3 team tiebreaker. It would go to the combined records vs the next highest team. Which will likely be Clemson. Miami is 1-0. UVA is 1-0. Pitt is 0-1. So Pitt is done, it goes to head to head, Miami vs UVA. Miami beat UVA in the only matchup. Miami is the #1 seed.

Advertisement

I *think* Miami wins the 3 team tiebreaker. It would go to the combined records vs the next highest team. Which will likely be Clemson. Miami is 1-0. UVA is 1-0. Pitt is 0-1. So Pitt is done, it goes to head to head, Miami vs UVA. Miami beat UVA in the only matchup. Miami is the #1 seed.
I think you’re right, but UVA doesn’t even make it into the next tie breaker. They are 0-1 against Pitt and Miami. Should go to just Pitt and Miami’s record against Clemson, we beat them and Pitt didn’t. If Duke manages to finish higher than Clemson, we get the tie breaker there as well. The one positive to losing to ****** teams instead of the top ones.

It's the ACC, gentlemen. If UNC wins out then they're the conference champ due to the tiebreaker with Dook and their pre-season ranking.

"Jokes" aside, I'm told the ACC does "shares" instead of tiebreakers for the regular season title but that we win the actual tiebreakers for the #1 seed in the conference tourney if we beat Pitt.

I think you’re right, but UVA doesn’t even make it into the next tie breaker. They are 0-1 against Pitt and Miami. Should go to just Pitt and Miami’s record against Clemson, we beat them and Pitt didn’t. If Duke manages to finish higher than Clemson, we get the tie breaker there as well. The one positive to losing to ****** teams instead of the top ones.

That’s not how the ACC does it. It says the way to break a 3 way tie is record vs the next highest team. If that’s Clemson, I think Miami is the #1 seed.

Advertisement
It's the ACC, gentlemen. If UNC wins out then they're the conference champ due to the tiebreaker with Dook and their pre-season ranking.

"Jokes" aside, I'm told the ACC does "shares" instead of tiebreakers for the regular season title but that we win the actual tiebreakers for the #1 seed in the conference tourney if we beat Pitt.

There is no official regular season championship in the ACC, the only one officially recognized in the tournament champion, so I don't think the ACC would "do" anything or "recognize" anything officially outside establishing the seeding.

There is no official regular season championship in the ACC, the only one officially recognized in the tournament champion, so I don't think the ACC would "do" anything or "recognize" anything officially outside establishing the seeding.
Technically? Yes.

In practice? Absolutely not.

The conference still will allow you to hang the banner, use it to publicize your program's exploits and it'll still be found anytime anybody searches the interwebs.

We all know how the 2012-13 season was portrayed at the time and how it's remembered.

If we beat Pitt, we're claiming it- and rightfully so.

Screenshot_20230226_112738_Chrome.jpg

All due respect gents…although, in fact, little respect is due…let’s just win.

Advertisement
Technically? Yes.

In practice? Absolutely not.

The conference still will allow you to hang the banner, use it to publicize your program's exploits and it'll still be found anytime anybody searches the interwebs.

We all know how the 2012-13 season was portrayed at the time and how it's remembered.

If we beat Pitt, we're claiming it- and rightfully so.

View attachment 231506

Yes but we were talking about what the ACC would actionably do in the event of a tie, and my point is there are seeding tie breakers, and that's it. The team that won a tie breaker could call themselves champions, and the team that lost it could call themselves "co-champions," if they decide to, we're basically in self-declared UCF-like territory. Well, not quite but you get the analogy.

Last edited:

I think Pitt loses at ND. They’ll be looking ahead and ND has come so close to winning at home in conference and hasn’t closed. It’s Brey’s last home game and it’s senior night. I have a feeling. 👀

It’ll all come down to Saturday either way. Hope the team has the week to simmer on that brutal loss and that the home crowd is energized.

I think Pitt loses at ND. They’ll be looking ahead and ND has come so close to winning at home in conference and hasn’t closed. It’s Brey’s last home game and it’s senior night. I have a feeling. 👀

It’ll all come down to Saturday either way. Hope the team has the week to simmer on that brutal loss and that the home crowd is energized.
I hope but Pitt has played well on the road, only losses so far at Duke and at VT. Beat UNC, NCSU both on the road.

Great thing about college ball is Miami still controls their own destiny. Finish the regular season off with a W. Make a deep run (make it to the title game) in the ACC tourney and we should still be sitting pretty for a top 4 seed once tournament time rolls around.

Advertisement
Back