ACC Network Update?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Can someone give a primer? I saw Porter Tweeting about it but didn't have the time or attention span to research what he was talking about. People have been skeptical about it but when you check out the worthlessness of the $EC Network during the football offseason and consider that the ACC hoops prowess provides a much more well rounded product then the concept gains some credibility.

Advertisement
Considering the below average quality of play in the ACC I doubt there would be enough interest to sustain it. Plus there aren't enough big time football powers within the conference to draw outside interest. The SEC Network draws a ton of interest from non SEC fans but who enjoy the football that is offered up by the conference on a weekly basis. Say what you want, but the SEC is the best pure college football product out there. The ACC is well below what the SEC offers as a total college football package.

Considering the below average quality of play in the ACC I doubt there would be enough interest to sustain it. Plus there aren't enough big time football powers within the conference to draw outside interest. The SEC Network draws a ton of interest from non SEC fans but who enjoy the football that is offered up by the conference on a weekly basis. Say what you want, but the SEC is the best pure college football product out there. The ACC is well below what the SEC offers as a total college football package.

You do realize that conference networks are more than just football?

the baseball in the acc is pretty strong too. i watch at least a game a week. hockey playoffs been causing issues with my schedule lately.

Do you ever miss an opportunity to fellate the SEC?

Advertisement

We have a lot of lurkers and trolls who park on our board and do what trolls do. Plenty of interest in sports in this part of the country for the ACC Network to do well. Laughable to think otherwise.

NBC Sports ain't ESPN, but it has enough of a market to keep broadcasting. Just because the ACC isn't as strong as the SEC or has ESPN behind it, doesn't mean it isn't a viable concept. Also doesn't mean ACC can't capture a significant enough market share to sustain a successful network. The ACC actually includes some of the nations largest TV markets and when you include the popularity of ACC basketball, then the idea of a network seems like a good idea. In fact I'll go as far as saying they have to establish a network to maintain a competitive balance.

If ACC honchos had their way, the network would be up and running. The issue is ESPN/Disney has the ACC in a holding pattern until it can absorb the financial ramifications that go with starting up another network.

If ACC honchos had their way, the network would be up and running. The issue is ESPN/Disney has the ACC in a holding pattern until it can absorb the financial ramifications that go with starting up another network.

Would think they could just piggyback off of ESPNU studios here in Charlotte. Close enough to the ACC headquarters in Greensboro and in the state with the most schools, also in the middle of the market. Would need talent and a new set/sets but I would think it wouldn't be too bad.

Advertisement

ACC baseball and basketball (and lacrosse, to a point) are strong to quite strong, however.

Don't know the specifics of starting up a network, but it obviously involves significantly more than just studio space and hiring a few folks to hold microphones in someone's face. Don't believe the SEC and Longhorn networks have proven to be the cash cows for Disney that everyone might have assumed. There are significant start up costs and absorption of losses for a few years before turning a profit.

This whole conference network thing is a Ponzi scam. Longhorn network is losing zillions of dollars. Probably not a coincidence that ESPN is suddenly hemorrhaging sponjulix and firing everyone who makes any money after they got into this college network **** game.

The fcking Pac 12 has a network, and no one can even watch it. Who knows where the fck that **** broadcasts?

ACC baseball and basketball (and lacrosse, to a point) are strong to quite strong, however.

I understand. But football carries the magic ticket for a conference network. I just don't think that there's enough interest out side of FSU, Miami and Clemson as far as national interest.

Advertisement

Yes because what I said was wrong? Football rules the day man. That's where the big money resides. Basketball can't be your strongest sport between that and football. I don't think an ACC Network can compete with the SEC or Big 10 Networks.

Only when they are sodomizing him, and then they usually go ATM on him.

Football is where the money is made. Not baseball. Or lacrosse. I would venture a guess that SEC baseball puts more fans In the seats and has more tv viewership.

Advertisement

I love it because every one of you knows the SEC is more dominate and much more popular than the ACC in football. I'm a Canes fan. Just not a dopey Canes fan.

[Q
UOTE=Ibis Wingz;2534147]

I love it because every one of you knows the SEC is more dominate and much more popular than the ACC in football. I'm a Canes fan. Just not a dopey Canes fan.[/QUOTE]

Networks include more than football. ACC is pretty much the most talented in baseball and basketball. Once Notre Dame decides to cut the **** and join the ACC in football as well that will be one more powerhouse. The ACC is making strides we may not be where the SEC is now. But you never know in 5-10 years

I love it because every one of you knows the SEC is more dominate and much more popular than the ACC in football. I'm a Canes fan. Just not a dopey Canes fan.

Bruh, FOH...no you're not. I don't even know what a "dopey" Canes fan mean. U got 559 post, and out of the 559 post you have, 558 of them is sucking the SEC's dizzike. If you wanna talk that SEC ish, go to a SEC board.

Football is where the money is made. Not baseball. Or lacrosse. I would venture a guess that SEC baseball puts more fans In the seats and has more tv viewership.

Noticed you left out basketball, in which March Madness generates billions upon billions of dollars in revenue. ACC is by far the best conference in all around sports. The only thing the SEC have is football...and once this sleeping giant is fully awakened, SEC fans like you will go back into hiding.

Advertisement
Back