ACC Network = Moarrr $$$

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Looks like a 2019 launch and a significant per school/per year cash infusion.

Why the Network is the ACC's best hope to escape Power 5 money basement

"It's going to be almost impossible for the ACC to close the gap on the SEC and Big Ten, both of which had a considerable head start on their own (profitable) networks, but the ACC is counting on network revenue – which even in its least optimistic projections should be at least $10 million per school per year, once the network is up and running – to move it past the Pac-12 and even with the Big 12."

Advertisement
Didn’t realize the ACC is last. I thought we were already third.

Me neither. Very surprising. An extra $10 mil per year along with the Adidas money along with sustained attendance improvement should have the program in nice shape for the future though.

Should have happened three years ago. Bout **** time. But it’s all good, we’re on a roll right now.

Exactly. That's (one of the many reasons) I never give the Carolina Mafia running the conference a pass on anything. But as you say, it's all good now. We have a stable stadium situation with a legit homefield advantage and have an IPF built. The infrastructure is there and the money is coming in. Now all that remains is to be forward thinking and to not be complacent with success- two major failings of our past.

Advertisement
Exactly. That's (one of the many reasons) I never give the Carolina Mafia running the conference a pass on anything. But as you say, it's all good now. We have a stable stadium situation with a legit homefield advantage and have an IPF built. The infrastructure is there and the money is coming in. Now all that remains is to be forward thinking and to not be complacent with success- two major failings of our past.

Exactly and nothing would be more forward thinking than transparent pants

Nice post Tad. I read the article too & the part that stood out to me was:

"So it's easy to see why the network is so important to the ACC, but what about ESPN, which has issues of its own?
The money ESPN makes on the network, a profit-sharing venture with the league, can be used to pay the rights fees ESPN already owes the ACC – $236 million in 2017. The better the network does, the more ESPN's deal with the ACC essentially pays for itself."

"Disney is in the midst of a two-year cycle in which it will renegotiate almost all of its carriage contracts with cable and satellite providers as well as the new wave of online content providers. In all of those negotiations, the ACC Network has been a priority, both inside and outside the conference's geographical footprint."

"In any particularly tricky negotiations, ESPN still holds a few trump cards. Back when it was trying to get carriage for ESPN2 in the mid-'90s, ESPN moved one of the Duke-North Carolina basketball games to ESPN2. That took care of that. It could do the same now – although the Clemson-Florida State football game probably carries more weight in today's football-driven sports universe, a shift the GameDay gambit illustrates."

"Last October, two weeks after GameDay was in Times Square, Altice and Disney announced a deal that included, among other considerations, full carriage of the ACC Network: A win for ESPN, and a bigger win for the ACC as it bets all its chips on the network to close the financial gap laid bare in its latest tax return."

Advertisement
ESPN paved the way for the network last year by moving ESPNU back to Bristol so the ACC network will share same studio with SEC network. I have been in studio and it is nice facility. ACC belongs in Charlotte more than SEC anyway.

Where was ESPNU before? And are the ACC Network studios going to be in Charlotte?

Where was ESPNU before? And are the ACC Network studios going to be in Charlotte?

ESPNU was largely based in Charlotte but then moved back to Bristol during their budget cuts.

The ACC Network is going to largely based in Chatlotte with some programming originating from Bristol.

I'm fine with that South/Northeast balance but they really should add a Florida element to it and do some programming out of the ESPN studios here. It's not like there isn't a plethora of ESPN/ABC personalities that actually live here. Even freakin' Chris Fowler is a Miami resident.

tenor.gif

Is there a confirmed list of states that this will be available in? I have to image the footprint will be huge for this network. Pretty much the entire east coast, New York, and then maybe throw in Chicago/Illinois because of Notre Dame's affiliation.

Advertisement
Looks like a 2019 launch and a significant per school/per year cash infusion.

Why the Network is the ACC's best hope to escape Power 5 money basement

"It's going to be almost impossible for the ACC to close the gap on the SEC and Big Ten, both of which had a considerable head start on their own (profitable) networks, but the ACC is counting on network revenue – which even in its least optimistic projections should be at least $10 million per school per year, once the network is up and running – to move it past the Pac-12 and even with the Big 12."

And the Big 12 will not get nearly as much money going forward.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back