Aaron Feld, Rugby Guy and the meaning of life

I see how you went for the ad hominem as opposed to attacking the argument there. Bravo.

Your entire approach is ad hominem. You do realize that no one here has the knowledge to interpret correctly who’s right and who’s wrong.

And I’ve known a few of you guys, a lot of you guys build your cred on tearing other people that are more successful down.

Maybe you might want to emulate Feld’s business model so you can be successful too.

The market has spoken and it says they prefer Feld. Including a guy that’s bet his entire reputation in part on what Feld does.

Advertisement
1)

This is just wrong and not open to interpretation. It's an error you would not expect of an intern, rather than one of the highest paid strength coaches in football.

2)

Also wrong and not open to interpretation. Take your pick from research, basic understanding of training, or how the best track coaches in the world develop speed- it's wrong. Is it a puff piece of Tv? Yes. Is it wrong and nobody forced him to say it? Also yes.

3) Telling young athletes quote:

Speed requires power, power requires strength, strength requires mass. Play it in reverse and you get that weight gain = speed.

Wrong, not open to interpretation. The line of bodyweight and speed in the 40 at the combine points up not down. Don't confuse 18yos coming to the end of puberty with juniors and seniors gaining weight. Freshmen gain weight anyway because they suddenly get free food and stop being 3 sport athletes and train seriously. Juniors and seniors have already gained the weight they're going to gain, and by then sudden weight gain is going to slow them down rather than make them fast.

Its perfectly possible he's a great guy who cares about his athletes and I'm not saying otherwise. He's also raised money for charity- commendable. He also repeatedly puts out misinformation that others in our field take as gospel because of logo fever, which means athletes, parents, schools etc. are being underserved. All those things can be true at the same time.

At the end of the day, institutions have a moral responsibility to their stakeholders to get the biggest return on their investment. To do otherwise is a failure and a misallocation of money. What is more likely- this guy is the single best candidate available in the USA and he was selected after a rigorous interview process, or he was handpicked by a guy with no formal training in distinguishing good training from bad?

Should it be me? No thank you. But here's 10 guys off the top of my head with PhDs (or soon to be) who are demonstrably more capable and whose athletes love them just as much:

Aaron Wellman
Matt Rhea & David Ballou
Brad DeWeese
Justin Lima
Nick DiMarco
Kris Robertson
Erik Korem
Cameron Josse
Shea Thompson

Nice post. Would love a confirmation on twitter that this is the same guy.

Your entire approach is ad hominem. You do realize that no one here has the knowledge to interpret correctly who’s right and who’s wrong.

And I’ve known a few of you guys, a lot of you guys build your cred on tearing other people that are more successful down.

Maybe you might want to emulate Feld’s business model so you can be successful too.

The market has spoken and it says they prefer Feld. Including a guy that’s bet his entire reputation in part on what Feld does.
That's the point- I do. I'll show my resume if you want.

If I'm such a nobody then you and Aaron don't need to worry about me tearing him down.

Let me lay out Aaron's career for you so you can see how the "market" works:
  1. He used to play so he must know what he's talking about.
  2. He used to intern for X, so he must know what he's talking about.
  3. He used to coach under X, so he must know what he's talking about.
  4. Repeat.
The market is populated by admins and head coaches who have just as much formal training as you do, so they outsource their judgement to the logo on the page in front of them. Alabama is successful, X worked at Alabama, therefore X must be successful.

Advertisement

Oh I have the knowledge , I only need five words to end this whole debate….how much you bench bro?

For you: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

I'm not attacking his character.

Advertisement
All jokes aside, Shea Thompson & Cameron Josse are actually fairly well respected Strength coaches.

And Brad DeWeese has done a good job at ETSU.

Not saying any of them should’ve been hired by Miami, but those are pretty solid names.
Aaron Wellman was at the NYG and is now by some distance the highest paid S&C in college football.
Erik Korem won the ACC at FSU, worked at Kentucky and at the Texans in the NFL.
Nick Dimarco played in the NFL, worked at Iowa.

etc. etc.

And they're all PhDs to boot.

That's the point- I do. I'll show my resume if you want.

If I'm such a nobody then you and Aaron don't need to worry about me tearing him down.

Let me lay out Aaron's career for you so you can see how the "market" works:
  1. He used to play so he must know what he's talking about.
  2. He used to intern for X, so he must know what he's talking about.
  3. He used to coach under X, so he must know what he's talking about.
  4. Repeat.
The market is populated by admins and head coaches who have just as much formal training as you do, so they outsource their judgement to the logo on the page in front of them. Alabama is successful, X worked at Alabama, therefore X must be successful.

You can keep your résumé. I’m not interested.

You’re here to tear this guy down - that’s your sole purpose. I’m not interested.

And yes you are attacking his character, you’re basically saying he’s incompetent. It’s the same as saying he’s a charlatan - how is that not attacking his character?

Again, maybe you should focus on your career and making yourself successful instead of trying to tear other people down. Prove how good you are with your success not by denigrating others.

You might get further in your life that way.

Have a nice life.

Advertisement
1)

This is just wrong and not open to interpretation. It's an error you would not expect of an intern, rather than one of the highest paid strength coaches in football.

2)

Also wrong and not open to interpretation. Take your pick from research, basic understanding of training, or how the best track coaches in the world develop speed- it's wrong. Is it a puff piece of Tv? Yes. Is it wrong and nobody forced him to say it? Also yes.

3) Telling young athletes quote:

Speed requires power, power requires strength, strength requires mass. Play it in reverse and you get that weight gain = speed.

Wrong, not open to interpretation. The line of bodyweight and speed in the 40 at the combine points up not down. Don't confuse 18yos coming to the end of puberty with juniors and seniors gaining weight. Freshmen gain weight anyway because they suddenly get free food and stop being 3 sport athletes and train seriously. Juniors and seniors have already gained the weight they're going to gain, and by then sudden weight gain is going to slow them down rather than make them fast.

Its perfectly possible he's a great guy who cares about his athletes and I'm not saying otherwise. He's also raised money for charity- commendable. He also repeatedly puts out misinformation that others in our field take as gospel because of logo fever, which means athletes, parents, schools etc. are being underserved. All those things can be true at the same time.

At the end of the day, institutions have a moral responsibility to their stakeholders to get the biggest return on their investment. To do otherwise is a failure and a misallocation of money. What is more likely- this guy is the single best candidate available in the USA and he was selected after a rigorous interview process, or he was handpicked by a guy with no formal training in distinguishing good training from bad?

Should it be me? No thank you. But here's 10 guys off the top of my head with PhDs (or soon to be) who are demonstrably more capable and whose athletes love them just as much:

Aaron Wellman
Matt Rhea & David Ballou
Brad DeWeese
Justin Lima
Nick DiMarco
Kris Robertson
Erik Korem
Cameron Josse
Shea Thompson

The news fodder is a little suspect for training. As far as the cleans go, if he were to just say a clean instead of a power clean would that satisfy you?

Oh he's already posted. He pretty much said Feld is a horrible S&C coach and I felt someone who's had a successful college career can chime in on whether he's right or hating.
I have a few concerns that relate to feld. But I have complete confidence in Mario as he's certainly someone who knows how a proper strength and conditioning program should be run. I don't know how big his staff was at Oregon but I'd imagine it should be around the same size here. I'd imagine 12-16 people. I'm more worried about the nutrition program than I am about feld. I'd just hope Mario sends Vinny out to pasture cause he's something we can no longer surmount. My main concern when it relates to feld is durability when it relates to injury prevention. I'm willing to let him show me one way or the other. I look forward to seeing these next few years.

Really hate that we moved off Feeley. For once we actually had a proper S&C coach and he's gone in a flash. Plus I've seen Oregon fans saying good riddance to Feld as they say there have been a ton of injuries under his watch.

Plus that mustache is so ******* wack.
Fold the program?

Advertisement
You can keep your résumé. I’m not interested.

You’re here to tear this guy down - that’s your sole purpose. I’m not interested.

And yes you are attacking his character, you’re basically saying he’s incompetent. It’s the same as saying he’s a charlatan - how is that not attacking his character?

Again, maybe you should focus on your career and making yourself successful instead of trying to tear other people down. Prove how good you are with your success not by denigrating others.

You might get further in your life that way.

Have a nice life.
Because knowledge and technical ability is not character lol.

There's my linkedin. If you let me know how much more of a success I need to make of myself before I'm qualified to criticise bad ideas, I'll get to work:

Last edited:
If nothing else, I'll give you props for coming on here and presenting your case.
Cool. Can I **** on his case now because posting two Instagram clips with highly interpretable information is not a case. Its nitpicked BS from a likely gym douche.

Beyond measure.
Ok, I gotcha. I mean I get it. If that's what he calls a power clean as opposed to a clean, he is wrong. If he teaches the proper technique and does everything correctly but calls it something else, I have less of a worry for the kids' safety than if he is straight teaching bad form.

Advertisement
Back