Aaron Feld, Rugby Guy and the meaning of life

Well, thanks for saying I'm smarter than most here ;)

I have no doubt that he runs a fantastic program. He's the best college coach of our generation. That still doesn't mean that he understands the nuances of how to judge the qualifications of an an S&C coach. So the fact that he wanted Feld is nice and all, but it doesn't move the needle for me. Besides, as it's been stated here, Bama has the best talent. An S&C coach can't f* it up. It's why MJ's personal trainer has made a nice living solely from the fact he was MJ's trainer.

Got it. So you don't trust the HC of the most innovative, tech-forward and successful CFB head coach of all time to make an S&C hire or to evaluate a guy who already worked for him, nor do you trust Mario to make the hire. Sorry that your needle isn't moved.

This is the BS I am talking about. We have a 24/7 grinding head coach that worked under the best, paid his dues, is insanely detail-oriented, is fully "all-in" and we already have posters undermining his ability to do his job well. Right, Mario hasn't given 1000000x more thought and done more research and consulted with the best as to what S&C should be at a major P5 program than everyone here combined. You should write him a tersely worded letter to let him know he he's unqualified to make this hire.

We disagree amigo. Heavily. Good day to YOU, sir!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Is it possible he was just giving her something useful she could do and to be more convincing he embellished something from his work with the football team to extra convincing in a way she'll be perceptive? Because a music teacher I see that all the time. A lot of... hocus-pocus that and use of the word "natural" to justify certain motions. I hate it and resist it but it is effective. You explain precisely to a kid (even adult) what they should do and they squirm and anguish to do something simple. Even if they get it they can't keep up with it. Even if they can quote you what should be happening. You change it to a passive instruction and some wide natural Tai-chi and even though they don't understand the physics of what is happening they more easily can move their hands easier. Also from place to place there's a different aspect of posture or set up that seems to fix everything. For one reason or another something has been neglected unwittingly and something simple that shouldn't make it big improvement does. And again you can't just say you need to do this a little bit to fix the problem because kids are dumb so it has to become THE thing they have to do.

Players don't know that they are getting faster doing an exercise in which the leg muscles have to engage to be stable seems very plausible to me. Equally plausible is the person he was working with needed to hear it that way for one reason or another.

Usually someone with a small mind doesn't understand exactly what's going on is going to do what rugby coach did.

Or maybe he's completely right I don't know not my field.

Got it. So you don't trust the HC of the most innovative, tech-forward and successful CFB head coach of all time to make an S&C hire or to evaluate a guy who already worked for him, nor do you trust Mario to make the hire. Sorry that your needle isn't moved.

This is the BS I am talking about. We have a 24/7 grinding head coach that worked under the best, paid his dues, is insanely detail-oriented, is fully "all-in" and we already have posters undermining his ability to do his job well. Right, Mario hasn't given 1000000x more thought and done more research and consulted with the best as to what S&C should be at a major P5 program than everyone here combined. You should write him a tersely worded letter to let him know he he's unqualified to make this hire.

We disagree amigo. Heavily. Good day to YOU, sir!
I understand your points. But this is what we do on a message board. Second guess decisions of folks eminently more qualified than us. And we know from experience some times these folks are wrong . . . like Manny and Enos and Jon Richt and so forth and so on . . . but appreciate the thoughtful discourse.

I understand your points. But this is what we do on a message board. Second guess decisions of folks eminently more qualified than us. And we know from experience some times these folks are wrong . . . like Manny and Enos and Jon Richt and so forth and so on . . . but appreciate the thoughtful discourse.

You're killing me today. There is nothing worse than seeing people trying to explain away a failed argument here with "well, its a message board, we're not responsible for what we say here." You can second guess everyone and anyone you want. It doesn't make it any less foolish.

We just made the best hire on paper in the history of our program. Give the guy a f'ing chance, please, because [see my last 10 posts to you].

Well, thanks for saying I'm smarter than most here ;)

I have no doubt that he runs a fantastic program. He's the best college coach of our generation. That still doesn't mean that he understands the nuances of how to judge the qualifications of an an S&C coach. So the fact that he wanted Feld is nice and all, but it doesn't move the needle for me. Besides, as it's been stated here, Bama has the best talent. An S&C coach can't f* it up. It's why MJ's personal trainer has made a nice living solely from the fact he was MJ's trainer.
To say that Saban doesn't understand the nuances of how to judge the qualifications of a S&C coach is insane.. how does Saban wanting him not move the needle for you wtf are you talking about.

And a S&C coach can 100% **** up talent. Look at Miami.

Advertisement
Why is this thread so long it's a nothingburger lol.

Some strongly opinionated person on the internet doesn't like a short clip from Feld. Big whoop.

As for the substance of the critique, there is none. Tons of things get discovered and adopted long before there's clinical evidence to back it up with high quality data. A quality coach is going to levverage clinical data but also going to experiment, and see what works for his guys, to stay at the cutting edge. Some of those experiments won't pan out, that's fine. But given my amateur knowledge I can totally see how the medicine ball thing as an accessory exercise enhances mind muscle connection which could theoretically transfer to greater control and power while sprinting.

Give me the guy willing to experiment and try new things and go with an informed gut, over dogmatic idiots any day.

You're killing me today. There is nothing worse than seeing people trying to explain away a failed argument here with "well, its a message board, we're not responsible for what we say here." You can second guess everyone and anyone you want. It doesn't make it any less foolish.

We just made the best hire on paper in the history of our program. Give the guy a f'ing chance, please, because [see my last 10 posts to you].
LOL. I don't want to argue to argue . . . but the point is, just because some guy knows football doesn't mean he knows S&C. They are different disciplines.

IMO the only substantive piece to this discussion is injuries.

Does Feld have a track record of a lot of guys suffering soft-tissue injuries?

Supposedly the Ducks had a lot of injuries this year. Is that a trend over his tenure at Oregon, or is it a one-off?

Advertisement
Hey everyone, rugby guy here. If anyone wants the long explanation, let me know.
Wayment, you're the guy from Twitter talking cash money **** on Feld???

baby-cute.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back