Aaron Feld, Rugby Guy and the meaning of life

Advertisement
Please don’t encourage that guy. Dude is insufferable.
lol **** dude, sorry you feel that way.

Actually, I criticized the BOSU ball vid back in the other thread where I profiled Coach Feld, before it was cool apparently:
The Bad

Behind the Scenes with UO Strength Coach Aaron Feld (PT2)

It’s a little unfair of me to be critical of this video since he was clearly guiding a reporter around and on camera, but I hate BOSU balls. It made me chuckle that he talked about “football movements” and then said he can stand on a BOSU ball “all day,” like how is that applicable? Standing on a BOSU ball is fine for working on ankle proprioception, prehab/rehab, or throwing in a warm-up, but most research has shown that ground-based, loaded movements are more effective at recruiting motor units than balancing. As one of my professors put it, “We don’t play sports on unstable surfaces, so why should we train on them?”

As others have said, there's a lot of subjectivity and history when designing S&C programs. I'm never gonna find a guy that I agree with 100% on everything they do, nor vice versa. There is a lot of nuance involved and the research isn't always good, so guys go with what they know. If I agree with someone on 97% of things, arguing about the 3% of stuff like the use of a BOSU ball in training is a waste of time.

This Rugby dude is probably right to criticize that one video, but he's also making a WAY bigger deal out of it than it is and is trying to get followers on Twitter. If I wanted to criticize every S&C coach or trainer out there who does dumb **** it'd be a full-time job. Go outside, breathe a little.

I don't think one video is enough to extrapolate on someone's overall training program. I could post a video of me teaching an Olympic lift to someone, and everyone on Twitter would make it look like my entire program is Olympic lifting which isn't true. Which reminds me, y'all need to get off Twitter.

He worked under Saban and Kirby, but he don't know ****.

Beat Taint last year, but his techniques are BS

Fuck Outta Here Kid Mero GIF by Desus & Mero

Seen enough. Guy is a hide-behind-vague statements bomb thrower.

We've all met this types before.

@AlphaMarshan observing Oregon's program on the field for last 3 years or so, do you see any legitimate concerns from S&C?

Agree that Miami's teams with Feeley never looked gassed. Then again how wore down can you be missing 55 tackles per game?
Lot of up downs to condition for those whiffs.

and your thoughts on Coke v. Pepsi?

I want to party with you Cowboy.
Well, I'm a biblical man...

"If thou dost alloweth Pepsi to be consumed or consumeth Pepsi thine own self,
Verily shall I rain down upon thee fire and brimstone such that thine hair shall catch aflame and burneth
and thine children shall be as embers in the flame
and thine women shall wail and bemoan thine fate
and there will be much gnashing of teeth and rending of hair etc., etc."
-Thus Sayeth The Lord

Advertisement
Man these S&C coaches are really enigmas. Let's run through our recent guys:
- Swasey: former players loved this man. But pretty sure he wasn't even qualified to be in the weight room or something. Bizarre ending.
- Gus Felder: I could be making this up or confusing him with somebody but didn't he miss workouts? Or not show up a bunch? Idk. Def looked the part but didn't seem to workout.
- Feeley: haven't heard a bad thing about him other than being tied to Manny. I always liked him and players seemed to love him.
- Feld: Good track record at Alabama and Oregon. Don't know much about him but I guess he has haters.

Anyway, these guys get their directions from the head honchos. Cristobal has the Alabama blueprint and program materials so I'm not too concerned.

Advertisement
- Swasey: former players loved this man. But pretty sure he wasn't even qualified to be in the weight room or something. Bizarre ending.
- Gus Felder: I could be making this up or confusing him with somebody but didn't he miss workouts? Or not show up a bunch? Idk. Def looked the part but didn't seem to workout.
- Feeley: haven't heard a bad thing about him other than being tied to Manny. I always liked him and players seemed to love him.
- Feld: Good track record at Alabama and Oregon. Don't know much about him but I guess he has haters.

Anyway, these guys get their directions from the head honchos. Cristobal has the Alabama blueprint and program materials so I'm not too concerned.
haven't heard a bad thing about feeley? Our tackling was atrocious last 2 years.

If dem boys were truly swole all those arm and shoulder tackles would've worked 😂

Some of y'all on here worried about injuries as if we haven't been dealing with that with our current SC coach. **** will happen.

Advertisement
Might be because Michigan also is a really physical football team and a deserved #2 seat.

Also, calling Oregon "not that physical" made me laugh. Good joke.
No joke, metal *** (love Futurama). I guess we'd have to start by defining physical, which is a mental concept and mindset as much as actual strength and conditioning. But..

Their sack numbers were terrible (worse than ours) and their rush defense was barely better than ours (!). Bad TFL numbers, bad red zone defense, and one of the worse in opponent 4th quarter scoring.

They were good, not great, rushing the ball. Nothing eye popping. They kept Brown upright for the most part.

Just not impressed w Feld. Oregon screams show muscles. Not many of their fans are losing any sleep over losing him.

All I'm saying is he needs to step his game up here. If he's looking to simply replicate, that won't cut it.

Swasey is a gentleman and I won't attack his character, but in terms of Strength & Conditioning he was very archaic and unfamiliar with how to properly design programs for teams. One of the ways he would judge the efficacy of his programs was to do the program himself 2-3 days ahead, then see how sore he was.

I'm surprised to see you say Felder "looked the part" lol, dude was morbidly obese, no?

I think you need to read your own link more closely. I see you’ve posted it twice already as some kind of ortografía Saban wanted Feld
I read it . The point I hold into is the article implies that he's respected among his peers. Bama fans think he's the💩.
It was implied that he was a target of theirs ,and of course Saban is not going to say he got turned down. Take it for what you want. Most importantly, have a nice day.

Advertisement
Looking forward to our players looking jack like the West German female sprinters back in the day. Marita Koch running a 400m with no break down on her turnovers.

The dude looked like a walking ad campaign for Trulicity.

The most dominant the program has looked in the last 15 years was on Gus Felder’s watch, and many seem to regard him as a joke.

So did we manhandle VTech and ND because of Felder, or because we had NFL players in the front 7?

Recruit. Good. Players.

I’m not saying S&C doesn’t matter, but the future of the program doesn’t hinge on BOSU balls.

The most dominant the program has looked in the last 15 years was on Gus Felder’s watch, and many seem to regard him as a joke.

So did we manhandle VTech and ND because of Felder, or because we had NFL players in the front 7?

Recruit. Good. Players.

I’m not saying S&C doesn’t matter, but the future of the program doesn’t hinge on BOSU balls.
This is the right take, and I've said as much. The S&C coach can't make 3-star players into 5-stars. Sure, we can get into the nitty-gritty of elements of S&C programming, but the Strength Coach can only work with the players he's given.

Advertisement
Back