Aaaargh! The Pirate wins...

Klamalama

Board Ban Under CIS Martial Law Until 11/5/20
Someone spoke too early...

1568435954899.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
You must be the fool if you think Leach is some sort of elite coach because he barely beat a g5 school.

Leach never had a losing season in his entire time at Texas Tech. His 2nd season at WSU he led them to their first bowl game in 10 years. In 2018, Leach led WSU to a school record 11 wins. They've been playing football at WSU since 1893, and their best season of all time was led by Coach Michael Charles Leach in 2018. Meanwhile at Miami, we finished one game over .500

Leach never had a losing season in his entire time at Texas Tech. His 2nd season at WSU he led them to their first bowl game in 10 years. In 2018, Leach led WSU to a school record 11 wins. They've been playing football at WSU since 1893, and their best season of all time was led by Coach Michael Charles Leach in 2018. Meanwhile at Miami, we finished one game over .500

Never having a losing season does not make you a "good coach". I said multiple times, in this thread, that he is better than Manny. That is not a big accomplishment. Manny is terrible. That doesn't make leach a "great coach".

Team adjusted to a very good 1st half plan by UH. Think I saw Houston had zero 3rd down conversions second half.

Never having a losing season does not make you a "good coach". I said multiple times, in this thread, that he is better than Manny. That is not a big accomplishment. Manny is terrible. That doesn't make leach a "great coach".

Given the talent he's had to work with, I believe you are wrong. He might not be elite, but he is a very good coach. We have two programs to evaluate him. As I said, Texas Tech never had a losing season with Leach at the helm (10 seasons). After his departure in 2009, TT has had 5 losing seasons. WSU's craptitude pre-leach is well documented. In the what have you done for me lately department, he just led WSU to their best season ever.

Advertisement
Given the talent he's had to work with, I believe you are wrong. He might not be elite, but he is a very good coach. We have two programs to evaluate him. As I said, Texas Tech never had a losing season with Leach at the helm (10 seasons). After his departure in 2009, TT has had 5 losing seasons. WSU's craptitude pre-leach is well documented. In the what have you done for me lately department, he just led WSU to their best season ever.

That stat is a bit disingenuous regarding him giving them their best season ever, since only 2 coaches have been able to play 12 regular season games before Leach. Mike Price had better seasons then him twice, actually winning the Pac-12 in much more competitive years than the joke it was last year. Had they played the extra game he would have won just as many games as Leach, but also won the conference.

Erickson had the team on the up and up, and had he not been poached by Miami would have gotten WSU rolling too. Which is typically what happens with coaches at these types of schools. Once they start to turn these schools around, bigger schools poach them. No one in their right mind is poaching leach which is why he had so much time to build up WSU.

The recruiting argument is BS too because Price ended up pulling quite a bit of talent to WSU during his time there. WSU just happened to have a string of very very very schitty coaches.

In the other thread, we're drooling over Les Miles, in this one it's Leach.

So which one is it?

Advertisement
Advertisement
That stat is a bit disingenuous regarding him giving them their best season ever, since only 2 coaches have been able to play 12 regular season games before Leach. Mike Price had better seasons then him twice, actually winning the Pac-12 in much more competitive years than the joke it was last year. Had they played the extra game he would have won just as many games as Leach, but also won the conference.

Erickson had the team on the up and up, and had he not been poached by Miami would have gotten WSU rolling too. Which is typically what happens with coaches at these types of schools. Once they start to turn these schools around, bigger schools poach them. No one in their right mind is poaching leach which is why he had so much time to build up WSU.

The recruiting argument is BS too because Price ended up pulling quite a bit of talent to WSU during his time there. WSU just happened to have a string of very very very schitty coaches.

"Leach’s 10 seasons at remote and recruiting-challenged Texas Tech were so successful that had he never coached another game, he would likely have been a first-ballot Hall of Famer...

Yet somehow, playing in the same Big 12 division as Texas and Oklahoma, Leach’s Red Raiders went 84-43. Leach’s teams were ranked as high as No. 2 in the AP poll. Texas Tech went to 10 consecutive bowl games.

He never required a rebuilding pause. He just won...

Leach took over a WSU program that had gone 4-32 in four dreadful conference seasons. It took him three years dig out from under the rubble, but since then the Cougars are 35-14.

Leach has done more with less in modern college football than any coach except Kansas State’s Bill Snyder, who has won 65 percent of his games there."

BTW: The article was written in Nov 2018, so Leach's record since 2015 now stands at 40-15.

Advertisement
Back