A Win Win

UknowWhat

Senior
Someone posted this Mark Richt quote the other day... but I didn't realize he mentioned coordinator... Would it not be a Win Win with Butch as HC and Richt as OC... Dorsey as QB Coach..

“I miss coaching quarterbacks,” he said. “I miss calling plays. I miss that part of it. Whether it’s in the role of head coach, coordinator, quarterbacks coach, whatever. I’d be really excited about coaching quarterbacks again and getting in the middle of coaching offensive strategy.’’

Read more here: Butch Davis, Mark Richt in the mix for Miami Hurricanes coaching job | Miami Herald

Advertisement
I heard the interview. It was weird, with the Georgia AD also being interviewed with him. I wonder if he is just burned out as a HC.

Advertisement
I can't see Richt taking that kind of pay cut.
I wouldn't think he needs the money.. It seems his misses the game ... OC affords him the opportunity to do what he loves minus the bs the comes along with being a HC...take a break and when Butch has completed his quest. We have a HC in waiting.. as a matter of fact we hire Richt as Asst HC/OC..

I don't know anybody sane that wouldn't take that combo in a second but I also think we should just chalk that quote up to Richt's personality. He's a humble dude and that may have been him just unconsciously exaggerating. It'd be one thing if being a coordinator afforded him more free time to also focus on his outside interests (the religious stuff) but that doesn't seem to be the case in today's game. Now mayyyyybe if you have Dorsey as "Jr OC" sharing some duties....but don't hold your breath on this dream.

I can't see Richt taking that kind of pay cut.
He has, I think, made it clear he's looking to get back to the "joy" part of coaching as an OC and/or QB coach calling plays. The point has been made clear here a number of times that Butch is not the best "game day" coach. He also mentions his love of the U. I don't think this is about the money. It's about coming home and doing what he loves, AND we can and should pay him well to do this. We would also add another excellent recruiter who has cred in Georgia and North FL and all of SEC land. Butch with Richt as OC/QB is not only a NO BRAINER it's a marriage made in heaven. I think it's obvious that Richt is laying chum specifically for the U. Put them together and we will dominate the ACC by year 2 and maybe year 1. NC competitor soon thereafter.

Advertisement
I don't know anybody sane that wouldn't take that combo in a second but I also think we should just chalk that quote up to Richt's personality. He's a humble dude and that may have been him just unconsciously exaggerating. It'd be one thing if being a coordinator afforded him more free time to also focus on his outside interests (the religious stuff) but that doesn't seem to be the case in today's game. Now mayyyyybe if you have Dorsey as "Jr OC" sharing some duties....but don't hold your breath on this dream.

That was pretty much exactly the feeling I had. That combo would be incredible, but I just can't envision a scenario in which all of those pieces fall into place. Who knows with Richt though, I can't figure that guy out at all.

Why would Dorsey take a demotion? I have to ask that contrarian position

Yeah, Dorsey won't leave an NFL QB coach job for the same position at UM. He might leave an NFL QB coach job to be OC here.

Yeah, Dorsey won't leave an NFL QB coach job for the same position at UM. He might leave an NFL QB coach job to be OC here.
You guys are making too much sense. ..This is a post of Wishes...Win Win lol.. Butch HC .. Richt Asst Head Coach Off... Dorsey OC..will that work lol? Its all titles anyways. ..

Advertisement

Thanks for poking a hole in my thought bubble ((((Win Win)))) but you are right. It was fun while it lasted. When I talked with him it was almost like he was ready to step back and exhale. He was laid back and calm in a world that is extremely intense and chaotic... He may want off the ride... Something that I found interesting was his wife was a Water Girl for GA. He is very family oriented and very proud of his religion..

Kaaya would dominate with Richt in his ear. We'd have a top offense that's for sure. With the amount of money we're saving with hiring Butch this would be the ideal "mega staff" for this situation.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back