A win is a win, my thoughts on the Duke game...

Since when does a 25 point road victory against an undefeated ACC team which you held out of of the end zone fall in the "a win is a win" category?

Advertisement
I saw some have brought up the lack of bubble screens, but just wanted to expand on it.

It was there quite a few times throughout the game. The slot WR had a sizable cushion and the Duke S appeared to back pedal at the snap. Not sure if Rosier didn't read it that way but a few of those negative runs from Walton could have been 3+ yards from the bubble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some hate the bubble screen(and I get it) but at times when the run game isn't consistent or the offense bogs down, it can be a very effective way of getting your QB and offense back in rythem with easy, quick throws. And Berrios is good at this play. You don't want to over-bubble your offense but it can certainly be an important component of your offense

Cutcliffe was quoted saying "This is the best team I ever had". We dismantled the best team a VERY knowledgeable coach thought he ever had by 25 points on the road in a primetime game & people are crying? Have you guys been watching college football? Were alot better then most teams.

I think our poor run defense also deserves a mention. It was bad.

yeah it was getting gashed in the first half but again, in todays college football, you're going to give up something and a lot of teams will pile up yards in between the 20s. But in the red-zone they did a nice job of stiffening up.

Again, it's hard to hold a solid college offense to 6 points on the road, nowadays. I just like the fact they got better as the night went on

But there are certainly things to work on

Only give up 6 points and there's still room for improvement we have to like where we are at

Advertisement
OK, re-watched the game and once again, I wonder why Berrios isn't used more and targed more often in the slot? I really think at other programs he'd be a guy getting many more touches. And he's not just a guy running short stuff because he can actually run past people. I know some folks hate the bubble screens but against a team like FSU(which will most likely be very tough to run against) these type of plays can be very useful in place of just jamming it up the gut for no-to-little yardage. NCState ran a lot of clever concepts to keep FSU's defense off balance and eventually tired them out late. A bit of creativity is a must against the really good defensive units

- Biggest segment of the past game to me was the middle of the 3rd quarter, after Feagles shank and Rosier's INT, score was 17-6 and both times the UM defense got 3 and outs and shut down any shot of Duke getting momentum. That's what elite defenses are counted on to do in spots like that.

- Watching some of the FSU-Wake Forest game, if the Canes corners can stick with the FSU wideouts, well, I can't see them blocking our guys upfront. Literally, every year since their 2013 title squad with Jamies in his RS frosh year that Oline has gotten progressively worse and now it's just a terrible unit flat out. Kinda reminds me of what took place with Miami's Oline descent during the Erickson era as the talent dwindled and the guys upfront got bigger but worse.

- Bottom line, this will be tough in Tally with an FSU team that will look to salvage their season and they still have a very good defensive unit, but this is why Richt makes the big money. I wouldn't trade the UM roster for theirs and now they dont have their starting QB. Coming out with a victory is the only acceptable result this upcoming weekend.

Advertisement
Back