A Trend That Must Stop

Advertisement
Star ratings invalid by 3rd season if not playing up to or way above the potential because of various reasons including good or bad coaching

Advertisement
So full disclosure, I blame @D RevLee for the inspiration of this thread. It's nothing he personally did, but he did post clips of the Miami v. LA Tech game asking how Brooks looked taking over for Pinckney. In doing so, I noticed some on going in season trends: missed tackles, extended drives, no push from the interior, and getting pushed off the L.O.S. I didn't realize that LA Tech gashed us for 174 on the ground that game.

This game got me curious as to a Manny Diaz led defense since his tenure here. We've been gloating about the TFL's and our total defensive numbers, but you may be surprised at an alarming trend; a trend to which the defense should be held just as culpable as the offense.

While our pass rush gets home, our run defense has been less than stellar during Diaz's entire tenure. But it doesn't always start off that way; when we begin the season, we are tough against the run, but somewhere between games 3-5 the wheels come off and they stay off. This is why we're **** poor on 3rd and 4th down defense, and this is why the T.O.P is so lopsided.

Peep this:
2016:
We began the year giving up an avg. of 34 ypg after our first 2 games
The next 11 games, we gave up an avg. of 151 ypg

2017 (Our best season in the last 16 yrs):
We began the year giving up an avg. of 111.5 ypg after our first 2 games
The next 11 games, we gave up an avg. of 154.5 ypg

2018:
We began the year giving up an avg of 78 ypg after our first 4 games
The next 9 games, we gave up an avg. of 172 ypg

2019:
We began the year giving up an avg of 60 ypg after our first 4 games
The next 9 games, we gave up an avg. of 139 ypg.

This trend has to stop if we are going to make it to the next level. This shows our defense's inability to get off the field, further exasperating our issues. No changes were made on the defensive side of the ball, and personally, I felt it was a mistake. The offense had glaring issues b/c it was just bad in all phases, but the defense got a pass b/c of the **** stats like TFLs, sacks, and the turnover chain was talked about. But since reaching #2 back in 2017, we've now gone sub .500 as a ball club between the latter part of 2017 - 2020. That's not just on the O, that's a team effort.
I saw the title and thought the thread was about Disco....Never mind....Carry on, Sir....

So you’re going to forget about VT, UNC, and FIU busting the defenses’ ***? I wouldn’t give the def a B+/A- that’s exceptional. The def deserves a B. You can’t miss that many tackles and give up late game TDs.

Are we going to conveniently forget that the def spotted FSU a 27-0 lead and the O had to come all the way back to win, just in 2018? Or the def spotting Wisc a 21 point 2nd quarter in the Orange Bowl? Are we going to act like Duke, GT, and BC didn’t just willfully run the ball down our throats last yr or that Wisconsin didn’t just say “Fck a pass, we’ll just run for 300+ on ya’ll”??

It’s time to stop acting like we’re marching eliteness out here. The O has been a throwback of the 20’s, I know.....but the def has been inconsistent. Anyone in their right mind would agree it needs to be improved. The O was obvious that it needed to improve, but this thread is to highlight that the def needs some tweaks as well.

FSU was 21-0 and the only reason we even got back in the game was the defense, offense was horrific for the first 38 minutes

Advertisement
Game 1.
Miami goes ahead 20-17. Miami gives up a 4 play 80 yard drive to UF and we lose 24-20.
Game 2.
Miami goes ahead 25-20. Miami gives up a 9 play 75 yard drive to UNC (A 4th & 17!) and we lose 28-25.
Game 5.
Miami comes back to tie game 35-35 against VT. Miami gives up 5 play 63 yard drive to VT and we lose 42-35
Game 7.
Miami is up 21-14 against GT. Miami gives up 6 play 80 yard drive to tie the game. We lose in OT.
Game 11.
Miami gives up scoring drives to FIU where their starting position was their 20, 18, and 11 yard line. (they had a couple of short fields, as well)

Like I said, to go 6-7 and sub .500 over the past 2 years has been a team effort.

Thank you. Bottom line - if our defense gets off the field in 2019, we win at least 4 more games. We were ahead and the DEFENSE let the opponent just walk in for TDs. Smoke and mirrors. We played a HORRENDOUS schedule and still finished between 47th-60th on third and fourth down stops. See above. Watch the game.

Advertisement
Thank you. Bottom line - if our defense gets off the field in 2019, we win at least 4 more games. We were ahead and the DEFENSE let the opponent just walk in for TDs. Smoke and mirrors. We played a HORRENDOUS schedule and still finished between 47th-60th on third and fourth down stops. See above. Watch the game.

yes sir

F it; alright....Yes, the O was trash (and our uni combo was trash)

The ST and Def was trash this game, as well.

The very first drive, they gave up a couple of 3rd downs & had missed tackles.

The ST put the def in some bad spotstoo, giving up a TD and giving FSU short fields.

I believe it was Terry’s TD which was FSU’s 2nd TD, where there was literally 5 defenders surrounding him, and they tackled each other and he walked in.

The latter 3rd qtr & onward, to your point, the def did turn it on.

This was actually a fun game. Man, I had high hopes for this season. We started 5-1 after this game and finished 7-6??? Lord.

Advertisement
F it; alright....Yes, the O was trash (and our uni combo was trash)

The ST and Def was trash this game, as well.

The very first drive, they gave up a couple of 3rd downs & had missed tackles.

The ST put the def in some bad spotstoo, giving up a TD and giving FSU short fields.

I believe it was Terry’s TD which was FSU’s 2nd TD, where there was literally 5 defenders surrounding him, and they tackled each other and he walked in.

The latter 3rd qtr & onward, to your point, the def did turn it on.

This was actually a fun game. Man, I had high hopes for this season. We started 5-1 after this game and finished 7-6??? Lord.

I was at the game and the place erupted after that first TO and I knew it was the play that turned the game

I then went to UVA the following week, my GF said she’s never going to another Miami game again with me after that, I don’t think I a word for 3Q

Advertisement
Back