A Trend That Must Stop

The next statement is not an indicator that said talent is OPTIMIZED.

The next statement is not an indicator that said talent without fault.

BUT

Based on Player Ranking Composite (Three Competing Recrutiing Agencies)

UGA is the THIRD most talented team in the country behind Bama and Ohio St.

I don’t think anyone is arguing UGA’s talent pool. @Moonman is suggesting that UGA’s talent was “far superior” than the opponents they played v. our talent pool v. our opponents.

For that I say bulllllllll chit.

So what I’ll do is break down the avg class over the last 4 yrs (2016 - 2019) b/c, while not 100% accurate due to transfers, retirements, etc. it will at least give some indication as to SOS.

By 2019:
Avg. class rank for UGA: # 3
Avg. class rank for Miami: # 17

UGA schedule:
#3 UGA v. #52 Vandy = +49 UGA
# 3 UGA v. FCS Murray State = Wash
# 3 UGA v. # 96 Ark St. = +93 UGA
# 3 UGA v. # 13 ND = +10 UGA
# 3 UGA v. # 16 Tenn = +13 UGA
# 3 UGA v. # 21 USCe = +18 UGA
# 3 UGA v. # 34 UK = +31 UGA
# 3 UGA v. #12 UF = +9 UGA
# 3 UGA v. #42 Missouri = +39 UGA
# 3 UGA v. #10 Auburn = +7 UGA
# 3 UGA v. #13 Auburn = + 9 UGA
# 3 UGA v. #51 GT = +48 UGA
# 3 UGA v. # 7 LSU = +5 UGA
# 3 UGA v. # 36 BU = +36 UGA

Avg Talent Pool Discrepancy = +28 UGA

Miami Schedule:
#17 UM v. #12 UF = -5
#17 UM v. # 28 UNC = +11 Miami
# 17 UM v. FCS BCU = Wash
# 17 UM v. #106 CMU = +89 Miami
# 17 UM v. # 27 VT = +10 Miami
# 17 UM v. # 55 UVA = +39 Miami
# 17 UM v. # # 51 GT = +34 Miami
# 17 UM v. # 44 Pitt = +27 Miami
# 17 UM v. #10 FSU = -7 Miami
# 17 UM v. # 43 UL = +26 Miami
# 17 UM v. # 86 FIU = +69 Miami
# 17 UM v. #47 Duke = +30 Miami
# 17 UM v. # 89 LA Tech = +72 Miami

Avg Pool of Talent Discrepancy = +30 Miami

Here’s the kicker-
In all of UGA games, they had more talent per 247, yet the talent discrepancy was on avg +28 in UGA’s favor

In TWO of Miami games, Miami was considered to have less talent than both UF and FSU per 247, and yet the rest of the schedule was so **** poor, they still managed to out talent the rest of the schedule by a wider margin than UGA.

So can we please just leave scheduling out of the argument to defend anything Miami? Lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
A lot in our front 7. Never been impressed with what uga has there in that part of the defense actually. And a few at db, they are good but they aint that **** good. Miami defense is better than uga’s imo

giphy.gif

I don’t think anyone is arguing UGA’s talent pool. @Moonman is suggesting that UGA’s talent was “far superior” than the opponents they played v. our talent pool v. our opponents.

So what I’ll do is break down the avg class over the last 4 yrs (2016 - 2019) b/c, while not 100% accurate due to transfers, retirements, etc. it will at least give some indication as to SOS.

By 2019:

UGA schedule:

Miami Schedule:
#12 UM v. #12 UF = Even
#12 UM v. # 28 UNC = +16 Miami
# 12 UM v. FCS BCU = Wash
# 12 UM v. #106 CMU = +94 Miami
# 12 UM v. # 27 VT = +15 Miami
# 12 UM v. # 55 UVA = +43 Miami
# 12 UM v. # # 51 GT = +39 Miami
# 12 UM v. # 44 Pitt = +32 Miami
# 12 UM v. #10 FSU = -2 Miami
# 12 UM v. # 43 UL = +31 Miami
# 12 UM v. # 86 FIU = +74 Miami
# 12 UM v. #47 Duke = +35 Miami
# 12 UM v. # 89 LA Tech = +77 Miami

Avg Pool of Talent Discrepancy = +39 Miami

Here’s the kicker-
In all of UGA games, they had more talent per 247, yet the talent discrepancy was on avg +28 in UGA’s favor

In TWO of Miami games, Miami was either considered even (UF) or considered to have less talent (FSU) per 247, and yet the rest of the schedule was so **** poor, they still managed to out talent the rest of the schedule by a wider margin than UGA.

So can we please just leave scheduling out of the argument to defend anything Miami? Lol

Again, context matters. You can't just throw out numbers and expect to win the argument without a deep dive into what they mean. Did you even read any of what I posted above? I covered all of this extensively. Georgia is vastly more talented than Miami. That is an indisputable fact. They were also more talented on average than their opponents on 2019. That is a fact. The CANES also enjoy a talent advantage on paper over most of their opponents...but the gap is certainly not as wide as we think it is. Regardless, the point that I was originally trying to make is still valid. Just because we play a softer schedule on paper than Georgia does, doesn't mean our 3.17 ypc average is somehow diminished. 3.17 ypc against the rush is elite. There's no way to deny it. It is empirically and objectively consistent with the performance of the consensus top defenses in the country for at least the past five years.

Last edited:
Also @Rellyrell please point me to where I said "UGA’s talent was “far superior” than the opponents they played".

I believe what I said was "I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that Georgia has a greater talent advantage over their opponents than we have over ours."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I said. Which is not what you're claiming I said.

Simply put, Georgia's talent level was at least on paper better than 100% of their schedule and in at least 7 of their games the gap was enormous. Did they play more teams who were reasonably within striking range than we did? Yes they did, but not by a huge margin, because Miami is actually in fact a middle of the pack ACC team and Georgia is in fact objectively and irrefutably a top 5 program. Get it?

Advertisement
stars out of high school is estimated potential talent. does not mean in the third year a 4 star is better than a 3 star who had much better coaching for 3 years. poor coaching does not bringg the potential to the forefront
So You agree with my first two points? Cool.

By 2019:

UGA schedule:

Miami Schedule:
#12 UM v. #12 UF = Even

Here’s the kicker-

In TWO of Miami games, Miami was either considered even (UF) or considered to have less talent (FSU) per 247, and yet the rest of the schedule was so **** poor, they still managed to out talent the rest of the schedule by a wider margin than UGA.

Hey Rell we were ranked 18th last year.

Now do that for their opponents vs our opponents. Average opponent rank for each schedule.

Last edited:

By 2019:

UGA schedule:

Miami Schedule:
#12 UM v. #12 UF = Even

Here’s the kicker-

I got board so I looked over it - alot of your ranks were off.

I added Cumulative since there is a lot of difference lost in use simple ranks without full score.

I unincluded FCS opp.

On average UGA had opponents ranked 16 spots higher than UM and nearly 100 points stronger.

UGAs average opp was ranked 30th and 734 points strong (Miss St best comp for avgs)

- UGA was on average 27 ranks higher than opp and 226 points stronger.
- UGA never faced a more talented opponent
- UGA faced 7 opp more than 150 points weaker
- UGA faced

UMs average opp was ranked 46th and 640 points strong (PITT best comp for avgs)

- UM was on average 28 ranks higher than opp and 175 points stronger.
- UM face 2 opp more talented

- UM faced 8 opp more 150 points weaker

Not pimping in either direction just delivering the cleanest numbers possible.1582745281528.png
1582745281528.png

Advertisement
Also @Rellyrell please point me to where I said "UGA’s talent was “far superior” than the opponents they played".

I believe what I said was "I'm willing to go out on a limb and guess that Georgia has a greater talent advantage over their opponents than we have over ours."

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I said. Which is not what you're claiming I said.

Simply put, Georgia's talent level was at least on paper better than 100% of their schedule and in at least 7 of their games the gap was enormous. Did they play more teams who were reasonably within striking range than we did? Yes they did, but not by a huge margin, because Miami is actually in fact a middle of the pack ACC team and Georgia is in fact objectively and irrefutably a top 5 program. Get it?

You like the word "context", correct?

This is what @caneinorlando said:
"And??...You seriously can't think that Georgia had more of a Talent advantage over other teams in the SEC...than UM had against teams in the ACC......Go look at who Georgia played...then look at who University of Coral Gables played AND Lost to... "

Your reply: "That's exactly what I'm suggesting........."

So my reply was to break down the composite rankings over the last 4 four years, which is a better representation of the entire team to see if your argument was correct, which is was not. You earlier talked about cherry picking stats, yet you chose to cherry pick the class of 2019 which would've been all true freshmen. Lol. That stat would be inaccurate to defend your position, as no team played all true freshmen for 22 players. lol

I clearly broke down UGA's schedule vs. our schedule, and the difference was night and day. I first argued this point just based upon AP rankings. That didn't satisfy you; so YOU decided to bring up talent difference. Cool; so I next broke down the schedule per class strength, and again, Miami's schedule was much softer than UGA's over a 4 year composite ranking, per 247.

But hey, since you're still not convinced, I'll go even further:
Let's take away UGA's and Miami's top out of conference cross games (ND and UF, respectfully).
UGA was a +30 in talent difference
Miami was +41 in talent difference

You want to look at win/loss? (which would indicate the coaching of the teams we played)
UGA played a composite win/loss schedule of 112-71
Miami played a composite win/loss schedule of 88-65

You want to look at how many 10+ win teams were on our schedule regular season? (which would indicate the caliber of opponents)
UGA played 4 teams who went 10+ prior to the bowl game
Miami played 1 team who went 10+ prior to the bowl game

You want to look at our 4-year class rankings for our respective division? (which indicate the strength of in-division opponents)
SEC East-
UGA #3
UF # 12 (+9)
UT # 16 (+13)
USCe #21 (+18)
UK # 34 (+31)
Missouri #42 (+39)
Vandy #52 (+49)
--------------------
Avg. class rank discrepancy +26.5 in favor of UGA

ACC Coastal-
Miami #17
VT #27 (+10)
UNC #28 (+11)
Pitt #44 (+27)
Duke #47 (+30)
GT #51 (+34)
UVA #55 (+38)
--------------------
Avg. class rank discrepancy +25 in favor of Miami
***Interesting to note that over the last 4 years, no team outside of the Miami have been ranked in the top 15, top 20, or top 25 in the ACC Coastal for their classes, yet the SEC East that have four teams that have been ranked in, at least, the top 25.***

However you want to slice this up, UGA's opponents have been far better than Miami's opponents, and yet UGA's defense have been performing at a far greater clip pound for pound.

Further stats:
-UGA gave up a total of 176 points (which also includes any ST points) this year which equates to 12.5 ppg against a much harder schedule
-Miami gave up a total of 256 points (which also includes any ST points) this year which equates to 19.7 ppg against a much softer schedule

-UGA gave up 100+ rushing yards 4x
-Miami gave up 100+ rushing yards 7x (which was over half of our games)

-UGA gave up 150+ rushing yards 1x
-Miami gave up 150+ rushing yards 4x

Let's look at a mutual opponent this year (Georgia Tech):
2019-
Miami gives up 207 on the ground to GT
UGA gives up 99 on the ground to GT
**And before ANYONE say the word context for this stat....GT ran the ball 45x against us and 37x against UGA (a difference of 8 rushing attempts)**

Again, our defense is not bad on a per capita. Our defense is very good, but pls stop using other teams as a basis for any argument. We are playing a powder puff schedule, and have still shown some flaws that would be literally exposed bucket naked against a more competitive schedule.

Last edited:
I got board so I looked over it - alot of your ranks were off.

I added Cumulative since there is a lot of difference lost in use simple ranks without full score.

I unincluded FCS opp.

On average UGA had opponents ranked 16 spots higher than UM and nearly 100 points stronger.

UGAs average opp was ranked 30th and 734 points strong (Miss St best comp for avgs)

- UGA was on average 27 ranks higher than opp and 226 points stronger.
- UGA never faced a more talented opponent
- UGA faced 7 opp more than 150 points weaker
- UGA faced

UMs average opp was ranked 46th and 640 points strong (PITT best comp for avgs)

- UM was on average 28 ranks higher than opp and 175 points stronger.
- UM face 2 opp more talented

- UM faced 8 opp more 150 points weaker

Not pimping in either direction just delivering the cleanest numbers possible.View attachment 112579View attachment 112579

I'm not understanding this metric, bro. What am I looking at here? Were you including, not class rankings, but rather composition scores?

Last edited:
Im a MAJOR stat head and bro they never tell the whole story lol

I agree, stats never tell the full story. Recall in 2013, D'Onfrio was boasting about his defense was just fine and started throwing out stats to defend his position, including being 13th in total defense. lol

Numbers can definitely be deceiving b/c there's too many quantifiable measures that go in to it. For instance, my little cousin tells me LBJ is the GOAT b/c he has more points than MJ. lol. Then I have to break down how the rules have changed, how long MJ played vs. how long LBJ has played, the teammates LBJ played w/ vs. the teammates MJ had, etc. etc. etc.

That's why I love these types of discussions b/c @Moonman is bringing out excellent points from stats. @bshaw28 brought out excellent points from stats. You are bringing out excellent points from stats. We can all use stats to argue or counter argue and neither are wrong. I'm only highlighting that our defense, while good, have some flaws. These flaws are covered over by our S.O.S and that's OK. You play who you play. 2017 should've been a big indicator b/c the moment we played Clemson, we got the roof blown off. But regardless, we are in a much better position today than yesterday....but it's really not fair to try to use other teams as a comparison b/c there are way too many factors that can skew the numbers.

Advertisement
You like the word "context", correct?

This is what @caneinorlando said:
"And??...You seriously can't think that Georgia had more of a Talent advantage over other teams in the SEC...than UM had against teams in the ACC......Go look at who Georgia played...then look at who University of Coral Gables played AND Lost to... "

Your reply: "That's exactly what I'm suggesting........."

So my reply was to break down the composite rankings over the last 4 four years, which is a better representation of the entire team to see if your argument was correct, which is was not. You earlier talked about cherry picking stats, yet you chose to cherry pick the class of 2019 which would've been all true freshmen. Lol. That stat would be inaccurate to defend your position, as no team played all true freshmen for 22 players. lol

I clearly broke down UGA's schedule vs. our schedule, and the difference was night and day. I first argued this point just based upon AP rankings. That didn't satisfy you; so YOU decided to bring up talent difference. Cool; so I next broke down the schedule per class strength, and again, Miami's schedule was much softer than UGA's over a 4 year composite ranking, per 247.

But hey, since you're still not convinced, I'll go even further:
Let's take away UGA's and Miami's top out of conference cross games (ND and UF, respectfully).
UGA was a +30 in talent difference
Miami was +41 in talent difference

You want to look at win/loss? (which would indicate the coaching of the teams we played)
UGA played a composite win/loss schedule of 112-71
Miami played a composite win/loss schedule of 88-65

You want to look at how many 10+ win teams were on our schedule regular season? (which would indicate the caliber of opponents)
UGA played 4 teams who went 10+ prior to the bowl game
Miami played 1 team who went 10+ prior to the bowl game

You want to look at our 4-year class rankings for our respective division? (which indicate the strength of in-division opponents)
SEC East-
UGA #3
UF # 12 (+9)
UT # 16 (+13)
USCe #21 (+18)
UK # 34 (+31)
Missouri #42 (+39)
Vandy #52 (+49)
--------------------
Avg. class rank discrepancy +26.5 in favor of UGA

ACC Coastal-
Miami #12
VT #27 (+15)
UNC #28 (+16)
Pitt #44 (+32)
Duke #47 (+35)
GT #51 (+39)
UVA #55 (+43)
--------------------
Avg. class rank discrepancy +30 in favor of Miami
***Interesting to note that over the last 4 years, no team outside of the Miami have been ranked in the top 15, top 20, or top 25 in the ACC Coastal for their classes, yet the SEC East that have four teams that have been ranked in, at least, the top 25.***

However you want to slice this up, UGA's opponents have been far better than Miami's opponents, and yet UGA's defense have been performing at a far greater clip pound for pound.

Further stats:
-UGA gave up a total of 176 points (which also includes any ST points) this year which equates to 12.5 ppg against a much harder schedule
-Miami gave up a total of 256 points (which also includes any ST points) this year which equates to 19.7 ppg against a much softer schedule

-UGA gave up 100+ rushing yards 4x
-Miami gave up 100+ rushing yards 7x (which was over half of our games)

-UGA gave up 150+ rushing yards 1x
-Miami gave up 150+ rushing yards 4x

Let's look at a mutual opponent this year (Georgia Tech):
2019-
Miami gives up 207 on the ground to GT
UGA gives up 99 on the ground to GT
**And before ANYONE say the word context for this stat....GT ran the ball 45x against us and 37x against UGA (a difference of 8 rushing attempts)**

Again, our defense is not bad on a per capita. Our defense is very good, but pls stop using other teams as a basis for any argument. We are playing a powder puff schedule, and have still shown some flaws that would be literally exposed bucket naked against a more competitive schedule.
This Porst makes too much sense, therefore, it has No place on CIS...

Again, context matters. You can't just throw out numbers and expect to win the argument without a deep dive into what they mean. Did you even read any of what I posted above? I covered all of this extensively. Georgia is vastly more talented than Miami. That is an indisputable fact. They were also more talented on average than their opponents on 2019. That is a fact. The CANES also enjoy a talent advantage on paper over most of their opponents...but the gap is certainly not as wide as we think it is. Regardless, the point that I was originally trying to make is still valid. Just because we play a softer schedule on paper than Georgia does, doesn't mean our 3.17 ypc average is somehow diminished. 3.17 ypc against the rush is elite. There's no way to deny it. It is empirically and objectively consistent with the performance of the consensus top defenses in the country for at least the past five years.

I had to edit my post b/c I put the ranking for Miami. I used a wrong figure for Miami's composite class ranking. The difference between the class rankings, on schedule, was still in UGA's favor, but not as big of a margin.

UGA on paper have definitely boasted a far superior roster than Miami. **** both FSU and UF boasted a far superior roster, on paper, than Miami...yet we edged UF and molly-whopped FSU. So why did we get busted by Duke? Why did we get busted by UL? Why was GT running the ball down our throats? Why did FIU bust down on us? Why did UNC just march down the field for a game winning TD? Why did VT do the same thing? These are the flaws, and I'm not sure if it's fatigued, mental lapses, disinterest or whatever.
Bro, to your point, giving up 3.17 ypc is phenomenal, BUT if we can't get off the field on 3rd and 4th down, then that 3.17 ypc now becomes a detriment.

Here's my question, and maybe you or another poster can help me b/c I can't find it: How often did we give up rush yards of 10+. We've been talking about context for a while now, so is the 3.17 ypc taken out of context, meaning we give up the big run play, and the next run is 1 yard?

Last edited:
You earlier talked about cherry picking stats, yet you chose to cherry pick the class of 2019 which would've been all true freshmen. Lol. That stat would be inaccurate to defend your position, as no team played all true freshmen for 22 players. lol

@PittsburghCane and I are both using the 2019 247 talent composite, not the recruiting class of 2019.

https://247sports.com/season/2019-football/collegeteamtalentcomposite/

It's not a perfect metric as I said before. It is similar to what you're doing with class rankings though. The numbers just come out a few points up or down. You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree, because we're definitely not going to see eye to eye on this. I still believe that you're overrating the talent gap between Miami and the rest of the ACC based solely upon recruiting rankings...and underrating the performance of our defense based upon your assumptions. It's all good though.

Advertisement
@PittsburghCane and I are both using the 2019 247 talent composite, not the recruiting class of 2019.

https://247sports.com/season/2019-football/collegeteamtalentcomposite/

It's not a perfect metric as I said before. It is similar to what you're doing with class rankings though. The numbers just come out a few points up or down. You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree, because we're definitely not going to see eye to eye on this. I still believe that you're overrating the talent gap between Miami and the rest of the ACC based solely upon recruiting rankings...and underrating the performance of our defense based upon your assumptions. It's all good though.

Look man, as long as you have Lex Luger as your avatar, we're good. lol.

I had to edit my post b/c I put the ranking for Miami. I used a wrong figure for Miami's composite class ranking. The difference between the class rankings, on schedule, was still in UGA's favor, but not as big of a margin.

UGA on paper have definitely boasted a far superior roster than Miami. **** both FSU and UF boasted a far superior roster, on paper, than Miami...yet we edged UF and molly-whopped FSU. So why did we get busted by Duke? Why did we get busted by UL? Why was GT running the ball down our throats? Why did FIU bust down on us? Why did UNC just march down the field for a game winning TD? Why did VT do the same thing? These are the flaws, and I'm not sure if it's fatigued, mental lapses, disinterest or whatever.
Bro, to your point, giving up 3.17 ypc is phenomenal, BUT if we can't get off the field on 3rd and 4th down, then that 3.17 ypc now becomes a detriment.

Here's my question, and maybe you or another poster can help me b/c I can't find it: How often did we give up rush yards of 10+. We've been talking about context for a while now, so is the 3.17 ypc taken out of context, meaning we give up the big run play, and the next run is 1 yard?

It's as has been pointed out several times by those on both sides of the argument which it's the reason is the most valid observation of the whole discussion. Manny's D is feast or famine. We're gonna give up big plays from time to time in order to make big plays and cause chaos most of the time. And if we had an offense who could A. Not turn the ball over so often and B. capitalize on the big stops, turnovers and eight drives in a row of punts we forced against the majority of our opponents then we'd be in the ACCCG and finish in the top 15 every year since Manny's arrival in Coral Gables.

It's as has been pointed out several times by those on both sides of the argument which is the reason is the most valid observation of the whole discussion. Manny's D is feast or famine. We're gonna give up big plays from time to time in order to make big plays and cause chaos most of the time. And if we had an offense who could A. Not turn the ball over so often and B. capitalize on the big stops, turnovers and eight drives in a row of punts we forced against the majority of our opponents then we'd be in the ACCCG and finish in the top 15 every year since Manny's arrival in Coral Gables.

Like I said, we have no excuse this year. Our O should be better, therefore we should see the full capabilities of the defense.

My only worry is the LB and DB depth. I'm not concerned w/ our DL at all.

Advertisement
Back