A Trend That Must Stop

The area's the Defense needs to improve on the most:

- Tackling
- 3rd down
- Defending the deep ball
- Run Defense

With an improved offense, plus with an elite pass rush we should see a significant improvement Defensively.

The biggest issue is LB & CB depth, we need our LB's to get & stay healthy all year & we better hope to God none of our CB's get hurt.

The weakest link on the Defense is Ivey, poor technique & no recovery speed, gonna have to rotate a lot of help on his side of the field. He shouldn't be an automatic starter but due to lack of depth & him being a Coaches favorite we're gonna have to deal with him getting picked on quite a bit in coverage, see UNC, CMU, Va Tech, GTech, UVA, Duke & FIU games. The pass rush should be able to mask the weakness in the secondary enough to where it won't affect us too much.

Miami needs to recruit A LOT better on Defense, too much lack of depth at LB, CB & S, we need faster & more versatile Corners & need rangy Safeties with Ballhawk skills, too many slow footed lumbering S's that can only play in the box. And for the love of God can we find 3 fast LB's that aren't injured every year? Lol.

Overall the Defense will be top 10-15 this season.

Advertisement
Your numbers are misleading for several reasons.

1. Georgia averaged 30.8 points per game.

2. Cal's defense was horrible (112th against the pass & 3.56 yds/att against the rush)...and they ranked above Miami in opponent points per play. That calls into question the relevance of the statistic.

3. Miami ranked 17th in opponent points per play, so by cutting your sample size off at 15 you're ignoring the fact that Miami was indeed in rare company...however relevant the stat is.

An easier way to look at it is like this.

Miami was one of three teams in the P5 to score less than 30 points per game and still rank in the top 25 in opponent points per play.
You make a great point and this could be a great conversation to expound on.

To Your Points -

1. Georgia averaged 30.8 points per game.
I limited the numbers to top 30 on both sides and because we are trying to be elite.

2. Cal's defense was horrible (112th against the pass & 3.56 yds/att against the rush)...and they ranked above Miami in opponent points per play. That calls into question the relevance of the statistic.
Singling out Cal is focusing on an outlier - the other 9 exmaples hold merit.

Also you should not hide the fact that the PAC-12 is primarily a passing league therefor numbers are skewed.
Cal ranked 129th in opponent passing attempts per game.

3. Miami ranked 17th in opponent points per play, so by cutting your sample size off at 15 you're ignoring the fact that Miami was indeed in rare company...however relevant the stat is.

Miami is ranked 23rd.
In no way am I saying the Canes defense is not very good to great. Im point out that having a good offense helps your defense.

Last edited:

- Tackling
- 3rd down
- Run Defense

With an improved offense, plus with an elite pass rush we should see a significant improvement Defensively.

The biggest issue is LB & CB depth, we need our LB's to get & stay healthy all year & we better hope to God none of our CB's get hurt.

The weakest link on the Defense is Ivey, poor technique & no recovery speed, gonna have to rotate a lot of help on his side of the field. He shouldn't be an automatic starter but due to lack of depth & him being a Coaches favorite we're gonna have to deal with him getting picked on quite a bit in coverage, see UNC, CMU, Va Tech, GTech, UVA, Duke & FIU games. The pass rush should be able to mask the weakness in the secondary enough to where it won't affect us too much.

Miami needs to recruit A LOT better on Defense, too much lack of depth at LB, CB & S, we need faster & more versatile Corners & need rangy Safeties with Ballhawk skills, too many slow footed lumbering S's that can only play in the box. And for the love of God can we find 3 fast LB's that aren't injured every year? Lol.

Couldn't agree more Obi Wan.

- Tackling
- 3rd down
- Run Defense

I saw something in a draft projection for Bandy that referenced too often he allowed receivers to release too often and has to use his recovery speed to catch up. The same issue lies with Ivey and I remember this being an issue with Artie Burns and Mike Jackson to an extent.

This seems like something missing in what Coach Rumph is teaching the CBs. Unless its purposeful in regards to what they want to do on defense, though that sounds off just typing it.

Far from good?

Give me an example of your definition of good.

Not having lapses where we make certain QBs look like Heisman candidates. Not giving up 30+ points to FIU. Degraded performance every year since Manny Diaz has taken over. Haven't had one player drafted any higher than the 4th round. Our defense is average that has coasted on a weak division.

Advertisement
That’s all I’ve been saying, but some get some frazzled when objective criticism is highlighted. No where did I say the def is trash; I said there’s a glaring trend that needs to be stopped. That’s it. Ppl act like Manny is some demi-god DC. The scheme has flaws and some teams took advantage of it. It can b cleaned up, period.

Yup. It goes back to the D'Onofrio era. We've seen the worst defenses that ever came through Coral Gables that anyone who was going to follow D'Onofrio was already light years better. That's the problem with **** regimes, is that whomever follows is already a savior in the eyes of some fans.

- Tackling
- 3rd down
- Run Defense

The defense was 50/50.(slightly above average because I'm a homer) Good moments and bad moments. The LB and CB situation is unnerving. With that being said, I'm going with your analysis because I'm willing it into existence...
Let's go. Things need to start getting better.

Not having lapses where we make certain QBs look like Heisman candidates. Not giving up 30+ points to FIU. Degraded performance every year since Manny Diaz has taken over. Haven't had one player drafted any higher than the 4th round. Our defense is average that has coasted on a weak division.

Sucks you feel that way.

I saw something in a draft projection for Bandy that referenced too often he allowed receivers to release too often and has to use his recovery speed to catch up. The same issue lies with Ivey and I remember this being an issue with Artie Burns and Mike Jackson to an extent.

This seems like something missing in what Coach Rumph is teaching the CBs. Unless its purposeful in regards to what they want to do on defense, though that sounds off just typing it.

Let alone the ability to turn their heads around.

Advertisement
It’s unfortunate that nobody keeps a points off turnovers stat that shows how many points a defense surrenders as a direct result of their own offense turning the ball over. It’s great to say “hey they allowed x points” but how many of those points were gifts from the offense? Just for example, the Jeff Thomas punt return fumble against Florida. Is it all on the defense for surrendering a touchdown when the opponent was given the ball inside the 5?

It’s unfortunate that nobody keeps a points off turnovers stat that shows how many points a defense surrenders as a direct result of their own offense turning the ball over. It’s great to say “hey they allowed x points” but how many of those points were gifts from the offense? Just for example, the Jeff Thomas punt return fumble against Florida. Is it all on the defense for surrendering a touchdown when the opponent was given the ball inside the 5?

Started this thread prior to last season. Got better this year but field position after turnovers has been absolutely horrific:

Advertisement
Another way to sum it up: if we had a top 50 offense

National Ranks for 2019:

Pass offense (passer rating): 59th/130
Run offense (ypc): 103rd
Pass defense (opp passer rating): 29th
Run defense (opp ypc): 10th

Our run defense was one of the few areas where we excelled last year. Why would you single it out as the issue with our team? Even if you’re just looking at the defense - their clear issue was coverage break downs that gave up huge chunk plays last season. I really don’t get it.

B/c the ypc, while good, we continued to give up a gang of yards on the field which skewed our T.O.P. So in other words, our ypc was also based upon our TFL and sacks. We've been using this term "context" around this thread; take away the sacks and where would our ypc be?

B/c the ypc, while good, we continued to give up a gang of yards on the field which skewed our T.O.P. So in other words, our ypc was also based upon our TFL and sacks. We've been using this term "context" around this thread; take away the sacks and where would our ypc be?

Sure. Do it for every other team with a highly ranked run defense as well. I bet we'd still be in the ranked among the elite.

ETA: Here I'll help.

Edit#2: My numbers are off disregard.

If you add the opponent yardage lost to sacks to the rushing total, then Miami's ypc would increase from 3.17 to 3.44...a .27 ypc difference.

The correct number is 4.18...a 1.01 difference.

Georgia's ypc would increase from 2.62 to 2.96...a .34 ypc difference.

The correct number is 3.46...a .84 difference.

The gap between Georgia and Miami actually shrinks from .55 ypc to .48 ypc.

This illustrates that our high sack rate actually hurts our ypc average rather than help it as you suggested.

That didn't go the way you thought it would did it?

Narrator: It actually went exactly the way Rell thought it would.

Last edited:
Sure. Do it for every other team with a highly ranked run defense as well. I bet we'd still be in the ranked among the elite.

If you add the opponent yardage lost to sacks to the rushing total, then Miami's ypc would increase from 3.17 to 3.44...a .27 ypc difference.

This illustrates that our high sack rate actually hurts our ypc average rather than help it as you suggested.

But UGA played who and we played who?

Advertisement
If you take out sacks for every team in the country, Miami was still 17th in opponent yds/carry. That was actually a little better than Clemson.

Attachments

• 9F6B3151-A53E-48E5-B226-186CA205C2F1.png
    9F6B3151-A53E-48E5-B226-186CA205C2F1.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 16
Our Defense is really good and can still improve. The first 2 games leave a bad taste in your mouth but it was painful to watch the offense the rest of the season. Defense created enough opportunities if only we got anything on the other side of the ball.

Don’t forget to subtract the total sacks from the total opponent rushes, since sacks count for carries as well.

Advertisement
Back