A-roid's name on baseball stadium

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
Does UM need to take action to get his name off the stadium at the risk of perpetual embarrassment? Having his name on our baseball stadium is like having the Bill Clinton Center for Fidelity in Marriage.

Advertisement
I say no.

First, as an alumni I am not embarrassed.

Second, he did not commit any REAL crimes (yes steroids are a drug). He may have broken rules in baseball but too me this is his personal life and we should stay out of his affairs.

Let's not compare this to OJ Simpson or Jerry Sandusky making a donation. This is a man who made a generous donation to our university.

Third, someone would have to replace that donation. He paid, he gets it.

What happened with the Light family wasn't cool, but I get that UM needed those funds and had to give A-Rod something to get it. His name should stay, even if he is a douche

as a relatively small private university getting multi-million dollar donations like the one A-roid gave UM are scarce. We can't afford to turn down legitmitate donations. Its one thing when a scumbag like ****zero steals money and donates it but its another when A-roid earned the money he donated. **** if Lance Armstrong said I'll give you $50mm for a football stadium if you call it the "Lance is the man Stadium" I say YES PLEASE!

Advertisement
I think it would be nice if he would "generously" agree to remove his name, whether encouraged or not, but I agree that nothing he is accused of could merit us stripping it off in light of the donation.

I think it would be nice if he would "generously" agree to remove his name, whether encouraged or not, but I agree that nothing he is accused of could merit us stripping it off in light of the donation.

It would be nice. That dude would never agree to it though. His ego is bigger than Seantrel

I say no.

Second, he did not commit any REAL crimes (yes steroids are a drug). He may have broken rules in baseball but too me this is his personal life and we should stay out of his affairs.

Let's not compare this to OJ Simpson or Jerry Sandusky making a donation. This is a man who made a generous donation to our university.

How could you not be embarrassed as an alumni that a guy cheated at baseball to make the money that he gave to the baseball program? If he had donated a million dollars to the UM general scholarship fund, I would agree that what he did in his personal life (playing baseball) should have no bearing. After all he isn't a criminal. The problem is that he donated a million dollars to put his name on the baseball stadium...and he is an admitted cheater at baseball. As his association with baseball will forever be tarnished, his name on our stadium will be an embarrassment to UM baseball for as long as his name is there.

I say no.

How could you not be embarrassed as an alumni that a guy cheated at baseball to make the money that he gave to the baseball program? If he had donated a million dollars to the UM general scholarship fund, I would agree that what he did in his personal life (playing baseball) should have no bearing. After all he isn't a criminal. The problem is that he donated a million dollars to put his name on the baseball stadium...and he is an admitted cheater at baseball. As his association with baseball will forever be tarnished, his name on our stadium will be an embarrassment to UM baseball for as long as his name is there.

You seem to be the only one hurt. I tend to stay out people's personal lives because it is none of my business or anyones.

You can judge all you want but since he commit no real crimes it is just irrelevant IMO.

Advertisement
Some people need to stop being naive and deal with the fact that the majority of athletes will use any advantage they can to be better and win.
It's really a matter of who gets caught.
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I personally have no problem with athletes taking PED's, it's their body.

as a former student i am 100 percent embarrassed that this fools name is on the stadium--i mean ne never went to miami. i wish they would take his name doenw but also understand the $$$$. look at villanona--theres was named after that dupont guy who killed someone and the only reason they took his name off was because he defaulted on payments.

Some people need to stop being naive and deal with the fact that the majority of athletes will use any advantage they can to be better and win.
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I personally have no problem with athletes taking PED's, it's their body.

Truth. People need to stop judging people who have ZERO effect on their lives.

My issue is about the embarrassment of having our stadium named after a cheater. As an alum and UM baseball fan, having Arod's name on the stadium does effect my life.

Advertisement

My issue is about the embarrassment of having our stadium named after a cheater. As an alum and UM baseball fan, having Arod's name on the stadium does effect my life.

If you aren't embarrassed by having his name on the stadium, being announced over every player who dons orange and green, who is expected to uphold and adhere to the rules and standards of the game; to the upcoming players who have no reason to consider his actions wrong, because though he was caught, he is still honored by a school he never even attended; if you don't see the future threat of, God forbid, another NCAA scandal, and the defiled name of a significant donor once again being tied around the school's neck; if simply seeing his name waving like a banner over Miami's baseball program and proximal athletic department does not give you an increasing shudder because he wrote a, albeit significantly filled out, check once upon a time; if you don't see a need to divorce Miami from the very real dovetail with Biogenesis, alleged to be even a member of the baseball staff, and the political collateral damage inflicted every single time "South Florida gene therapy clinic" is strummed or trumpeted over TVs, Twitter and in-game commentary; if you don't think he is campaigning to become the Pete Rose of steroids, first-ballot, unanimous selection and beyond....

Then I wonder if you've properly thought your position through on how his "personal life" (which his steroid use is everything but) doesn't affect the University of Miami. He's made a living playing baseball. That's not a personal life. He's renowned for baseball. He cheated and lied and covered up for baseball. He donated to a baseball stadium. What is "personal life" about any of that? "Don't judge"? That going to help Anthony Wiener in the polls?

Think on this more. Examine the consequences, if somehow your stomach isn't turned by the actions themselves. Rodriguez DID get caught. He HAS been humiliated. Some of you need to stop being naive and acting like there's no consequence because you're personally cool with it.

Last edited:

I am the same, I just don't care about the steroids issue (or HGH) because the game is already tainted and a high percentage of players (in the major sports) "cheat."

To me it is part of a bigger issue in this country, people believe [probably because we have run out of things to care about] they have the right to judge others and their actions even if they have no effect on their life. You can claim this has an "indirect" effect on your life but ARoid didn't personally attack you and your character. He did not defraud you, he just upset you.

Now A-Roid made a charitable donation to a program in need. He did not steal the money, he did not defraud investors, he made a donation. Since the game is tainted and he is a player in the game, I don't care. There are bigger issues i.e. the Head Coach of the Baseball team.

We will have to agree to disagree on this issue.

Some of you need to stop being naive and acting like there's no consequence because you're personally cool with it.

I don't think anyone is Naive about anything. We see the game, we see the juiced up players, some have accepted it and moved on. The "purist" are the ones that hold on to this issue.

What am I supposed to do about it? Start a fund raising campaign to get ARoid back his money.

You think this "issue" resonates HIGH on the list of things to care about. You think a donor and the name on a stadium is more important that the coach or the program overall.

ARoid made a donation that is all. He made a donation to a private university. This is not Bernie Madoff, this is a steroid user.

ARoid will suffer enough in the public view, taking the name of the stadium and returning the money won't shame him or make Miami feel better.

As for Anthony Weiner (I Live in NYC), I don't care who he f_cks or tweets or whatever, that is between him and his wife/family. Bill Clinton could have had daily gangbangs with ****** Whores, I would not care at all. These are for the family to care about.

I am not commending these guys for their actions, I just think we become a society who thinks they are entitled to judge.

The only thing that should be judged IMO are their politics and views on the position.

There needs to be a line drawn

Advertisement
Some of you need to stop being naive and acting like there's no consequence because you're personally cool with it.

I don't think anyone is Naive about anything. We see the game, we see the juiced up players, some have accepted it and moved on. The "purist" are the ones that hold on to this issue.

What am I supposed to do about it? Start a fund raising campaign to get ARoid back his money.

You think this "issue" resonates HIGH on the list of things to care about. You think a donor and the name on a stadium is more important that the coach or the program overall.

ARoid made a donation that is all. He made a donation to a private university. This is not Bernie Madoff, this is a steroid user.

ARoid will suffer enough in the public view, taking the name of the stadium and returning the money won't shame him or make Miami feel better.

As for Anthony Weiner (I Live in NYC), I don't care who he f_cks or tweets or whatever, that is between him and his wife/family. Bill Clinton could have had daily gangbangs with ****** Whores, I would not care at all. These are for the family to care about.

I am not commending these guys for their actions, I just think we become a society who thinks they are entitled to judge.

The only thing that should be judged IMO are their politics and views on the position.

While I appreciate your thoroughness in responding to one sentence, you have underscored my point: YOU are not the only one that matters. Wiener isn't going to win, not because you personally won't vote for him, but because the vast majority won't. And if he somehow does, he'll be mocked nationally for his entire term. It isn't about you, here. Oh but riiiight: it's all corrupt, so let's not judge any action. The meh attitude you're carrying suggests Morris should just shoot his kids up now because "only the purists would be upset". Meh. It violates the rules of the game. Meh. ARod is considered a disgrace by the vast majority. Meh. Golden should get high schools on the juice. Meh.

ARod isn't bigger than the program. Hence his name shouldn't be on the building. His donation isn't more sacred, hence his game-historic sins shouldn't be less injurious. But you think any scale of judgement is uncalled for because, well, other people do wrong things too. So meh him and his blatant lies, rule breaking and smeared name. Meh all consequences.

While I appreciate your thoroughness in responding to one sentence, you have underscored my point: YOU are not the only one that matters. Wiener isn't going to win, not because you personally won't vote for him, but because the vast majority won't. And if he somehow does, he'll be mocked nationally for his entire term. It isn't about you, here. Oh but riiiight: it's all corrupt, so let's not judge any action. The meh attitude you're carrying suggests Morris should just shoot his kids up now because "only the purists would be upset". Meh. It violates the rules of the game. Meh. ARod is considered a disgrace by the vast majority. Meh. Golden should get high schools on the juice. Meh.

ARod isn't bigger than the program. Hence his name shouldn't be on the building. His donation isn't more sacred, hence his game-historic sins shouldn't be less injurious. But you think any scale of judgement is uncalled for because, well, other people do wrong things too. So meh him and his blatant lies, rule breaking and smeared name. Meh all consequences.

I responded to your whole post (See the BS Weiner stuff) but I was focused on that one sentence.

I am not against performance enhancing drugs, players use them to get a competitive edge (right or wrong). So if people are using them, I hope they are on my team. We see this differently. No point in going back in forth on this issue, agree to disagree.

Advertisement
Back