A Review of the Tape - UM vs. UVA

In the 2nd half, I was impressed with TVD's poise on going through progressions, considering the offensive line. His ball has some nice zip to it as well, he can make some throws...

...that said, he missed quite a few gimmes, especially early on, at least half a dozen. Accuracy was a problem, and he's not talented to overcome missing so many short throws. Lifeblood of an efficient offense, especially if you struggle to run the ball, is completing check downs.

Advertisement
Clarke made a great play. That was epitome of a fluke. The guy caught it and didn't even realize it didn't hit the ground. Still another case of dropped interception leading to TDs though. Flagg's pick shows what happens to momentum when you actually execute a pick.

It’s not a great play when you miss an INT and even better it goes for a TD. I hear you, he was in position, but you have to make the play. Same with Kinchens on the first drive. That’s 14 points if you just catch balls that hit you directly in the hands.

It's amazing how much worse one can feel about the team because a kick went about a foot wide.
While I agree with you, it shouldn’t be lost on anyone, that the coaching has been atrocious, that even if our boys pulled out a victory at the end, it would have left an empty feeling, knowing the victory was in spite of the atrocious coaching. It should have never come down to a kick against this opponent.

Advertisement
While I agree with you, it shouldn’t be lost on anyone, that the coaching has been atrocious, that even if our boys pulled out a victory at the end, it would have left an empty feeling, knowing the victory was in spite of the atrocious coaching. It should have never come down to a kick against this opponent.
yep.

it's what I said earlier. my original post would have been the same.

the kick at the end didn't change the 59 minutes and 57 seconds that happened before it.

He just looks like a bad athlete. His body didn’t accept the weight gain needed to play tight end. Injuries piled on and now his confidence is shattered, he can’t block, he can’t catch and he’s not an athlete anymore
Mallory is fat. The end

There’s positives and negatives with any game. Hopefully, the positive outweighs the negative considerably. Unfortunately, the negatives with this team overshadows any positives.
the hangover math GIF

It’s not a great play when you miss an INT and even better it goes for a TD. I hear you, he was in position, but you have to make the play. Same with Kinchens on the first drive. That’s 14 points if you just catch balls that hit you directly in the hands.
Ok a good play. Kid went up and highpointed it unlike a couple of our other safeties. The receiver actually pulled it out of his hands which is why it wasnt a pick but yes if he caught it then would have been a great play. The ball had no business being caught.

Advertisement
This team never shows up prepared. TVD did a real good job imagine if he had an O line. The only coached up players we have came from the portal. Team needs leadership and coaching. These players aren’t coming close to their potential. Again leadership and coaching.

Did the masochistic thing, and forced myself to rewatch the tape of the game. I will let @Lance Roffers do his thing, but I have some general observations:

1. As I mentioned last week and this, I expected TVD to make some good plays, some bad ones, and some puzzling ones that next season, would not be repeated. That happened as I predicted, and not because it’s not obvious, but we all need to keep reminding ourselves that the circumstances for anything else to happen is just not there. Freshman “phenoms” only show up when the team around them (coaches, players), can support that. Clearly, we are not that team. (And no, the results for the team would likely not have been any better if Garcia had played. For the numerous reasons I mention below).
  2. Throw away that glorified scrimmage last week against CCState. THIS was TVD’s first real game.
  3. Probably the best thing to happen to the kid (for his and the team’s long term benefit), was for the game to play out as it did. He struggled in the first half. That was a good thing. For a kid to run out on the field in his first game and go 20-24 with 3 TD’s, is not always such a wonderful thing. Let him struggle and fight through it. (which he did). Bernie Kosar, Ken Dorsey, Brock Berlin, Brad Kaaya, and others … none of them played well their first game, and some of them were downright miserable.
  4. NO picks. TVD’s ball handling and penchant for keeping the ball out of harm’s way is very good.
  5. Our receivers are not helping. TVD’s first two third down throws were drops. After missing the throw on the wheel route to Rooster in the 3rd quarter, he comes back the next play with a great throw to Romello on the Dig route. It’s a first down and a chunk play. He hits him in stride, and it was not a mentally easy throw. After missing the way he did the prior play, a tendency of the QB (and I’ve been there), is to short arm and “aim” the next one. He did the opposite. He threw with confidence and purpose. You can build on stuff like that.
  6. It’s difficult to overstate how bad our OL played for 3 ½ quarters of the game. It had an effect on TVD, and here’s how. I agree with @Lance Roffers that avoiding sacks are a joint responsibility of the QB and the OL. People were wondering, “why didn’t TVD shuffle out of a couple of those sacks? ” that’s a fair question when you have a collapse of a defender through a single rush lane. The QB needs to shuffle to another protected lane. The problem arises, when you have multiple rush lanes closing on you. I don’t care if you’re dan marino in that pocket, you’re going to have problems you can’t avoid in that situation, and multiple times last night, that was the case. Not having a credible running game that can churn out 5 yards a clip is also just kryptonite to any QB, let alone one that’s making his first start.
  7. As he did in the game (scrimmage) against CCSt, he had some big boy throws. For the second game in a row, he went across the hash on an out route against a rolled up corner. There are guys who play on Sundays whose OC’s don’t call that because it’s too much to ask. We’ve now seen him nail it multiple times. That’s the kind of stuff that you can build on.
  8. He got better as the game went on. The closer it got to the final gun, the more dialed in he was. It also coincided with better OL play. Funny how that works out.
  9. His run for the TD showed some moxie. Most QB’s run out of bounds in that situation. He kept his feet under him, and his eyes on the end zone, and saw Mallory engaging the DB. So he pressed on.
  10. There are so many calls that had me scratching my head on offense. The lack of checkdowns in the pattern on multiple occasions, in circumstances where you expect to see it, are not doing the offense good. There were 2 sacks where downfield, there was ZERO separation, nowhere to push the ball, yet, no checkdown in the pattern for the QB. That’s OC malpractice. I don’t get it. TVD was hanging in the pocket on more than one occasion where our WR’s had defenders pasted to their jerseys. I counted 2 sacks where a throw to any guy in the pattern would have been a likely pick. You need to stack the pattern vertically so there is a credible checkdown option for the QB. Period.
  11. Where are the TE’s? in this offense, if Lashlee is calling it correctly, the TE’s should have half a dozen catches by accident. Add in Mallory’s standard of play, and this is the most disappointing part of the offense after the OL
  12. On the plus side, however Lashlee managed TVD mentally during the game, it worked. The kid never lost his confidence, and just kept playing. Give credit to Lashlee where it’s due.
  13. I’m not sure who had the worse game on defense: 44-Jennings, 8-Ivey, or 21-Bolden. That 44 and 8 keep getting thrown in there is a damning indictment of our depth, and development of those guys. Bolden is almost just as bad. NO coverage instincts, and his tackling is way too inconsistent to be a reliable safety in run support.
  14. I saw plenty of freshman mistakes and freshman negatives from james Williams, Taylor, Arroyo, Chantz Williams, Brinson, and George. I also saw things that told me, like TVD, there’s a lot there to work with and the only way they all get better at this point, is to keep playing.
  15. If Restrepo was in Mallory’s body and playing TE, assuming Lashlee made it happen, he’d finish every game with 9 or 10 catches. Even as it is, he needs to start in the slot. LOVE that kid.
  16. Bolden, Nevaughn, and Hall are poster children for why there’s not a direct line between recruiting stars and college success.

Finally, the thing that most disturbs me, is that this team doesn’t play with consistent intensity. They have some guys who show up on some plays, but it’s woefully inconsistent, and I don’t see the across the board ferociousness that you need to have to be a championship caliber team, at any level.

There are some talented younger players on this roster: Garcia ad TVD, taylor, restrepo, the Williams boys, etc …. They need to see reps. And more importantly, they need to be coached better.
C79BA69C-EE5A-402B-9D17-CA0C9DFD1AE4.gif

Not impressed with TVDs play. Not really disappointed. accuracy is questionable....consistency is not there(so many passes thrown 4 yards in the dirt from the receiver.....that pass to knighton was ridiculous. Thats a big gain or possibly a TD if its completed If he shows the same issues next game they need to give Garcia a fair shake and let him play

Advertisement
Did the masochistic thing, and forced myself to rewatch the tape of the game. I will let @Lance Roffers do his thing, but I have some general observations:

1. As I mentioned last week and this, I expected TVD to make some good plays, some bad ones, and some puzzling ones that next season, would not be repeated. That happened as I predicted, and not because it’s not obvious, but we all need to keep reminding ourselves that the circumstances for anything else to happen is just not there. Freshman “phenoms” only show up when the team around them (coaches, players), can support that. Clearly, we are not that team. (And no, the results for the team would likely not have been any better if Garcia had played. For the numerous reasons I mention below).
  2. Throw away that glorified scrimmage last week against CCState. THIS was TVD’s first real game.
  3. Probably the best thing to happen to the kid (for his and the team’s long term benefit), was for the game to play out as it did. He struggled in the first half. That was a good thing. For a kid to run out on the field in his first game and go 20-24 with 3 TD’s, is not always such a wonderful thing. Let him struggle and fight through it. (which he did). Bernie Kosar, Ken Dorsey, Brock Berlin, Brad Kaaya, and others … none of them played well their first game, and some of them were downright miserable.
  4. NO picks. TVD’s ball handling and penchant for keeping the ball out of harm’s way is very good.
  5. Our receivers are not helping. TVD’s first two third down throws were drops. After missing the throw on the wheel route to Rooster in the 3rd quarter, he comes back the next play with a great throw to Romello on the Dig route. It’s a first down and a chunk play. He hits him in stride, and it was not a mentally easy throw. After missing the way he did the prior play, a tendency of the QB (and I’ve been there), is to short arm and “aim” the next one. He did the opposite. He threw with confidence and purpose. You can build on stuff like that.
  6. It’s difficult to overstate how bad our OL played for 3 ½ quarters of the game. It had an effect on TVD, and here’s how. I agree with @Lance Roffers that avoiding sacks are a joint responsibility of the QB and the OL. People were wondering, “why didn’t TVD shuffle out of a couple of those sacks? ” that’s a fair question when you have a collapse of a defender through a single rush lane. The QB needs to shuffle to another protected lane. The problem arises, when you have multiple rush lanes closing on you. I don’t care if you’re dan marino in that pocket, you’re going to have problems you can’t avoid in that situation, and multiple times last night, that was the case. Not having a credible running game that can churn out 5 yards a clip is also just kryptonite to any QB, let alone one that’s making his first start.
  7. As he did in the game (scrimmage) against CCSt, he had some big boy throws. For the second game in a row, he went across the hash on an out route against a rolled up corner. There are guys who play on Sundays whose OC’s don’t call that because it’s too much to ask. We’ve now seen him nail it multiple times. That’s the kind of stuff that you can build on.
  8. He got better as the game went on. The closer it got to the final gun, the more dialed in he was. It also coincided with better OL play. Funny how that works out.
  9. His run for the TD showed some moxie. Most QB’s run out of bounds in that situation. He kept his feet under him, and his eyes on the end zone, and saw Mallory engaging the DB. So he pressed on.
  10. There are so many calls that had me scratching my head on offense. The lack of checkdowns in the pattern on multiple occasions, in circumstances where you expect to see it, are not doing the offense good. There were 2 sacks where downfield, there was ZERO separation, nowhere to push the ball, yet, no checkdown in the pattern for the QB. That’s OC malpractice. I don’t get it. TVD was hanging in the pocket on more than one occasion where our WR’s had defenders pasted to their jerseys. I counted 2 sacks where a throw to any guy in the pattern would have been a likely pick. You need to stack the pattern vertically so there is a credible checkdown option for the QB. Period.
  11. Where are the TE’s? in this offense, if Lashlee is calling it correctly, the TE’s should have half a dozen catches by accident. Add in Mallory’s standard of play, and this is the most disappointing part of the offense after the OL
  12. On the plus side, however Lashlee managed TVD mentally during the game, it worked. The kid never lost his confidence, and just kept playing. Give credit to Lashlee where it’s due.
  13. I’m not sure who had the worse game on defense: 44-Jennings, 8-Ivey, or 21-Bolden. That 44 and 8 keep getting thrown in there is a damning indictment of our depth, and development of those guys. Bolden is almost just as bad. NO coverage instincts, and his tackling is way too inconsistent to be a reliable safety in run support.
  14. I saw plenty of freshman mistakes and freshman negatives from james Williams, Taylor, Arroyo, Chantz Williams, Brinson, and George. I also saw things that told me, like TVD, there’s a lot there to work with and the only way they all get better at this point, is to keep playing.
  15. If Restrepo was in Mallory’s body and playing TE, assuming Lashlee made it happen, he’d finish every game with 9 or 10 catches. Even as it is, he needs to start in the slot. LOVE that kid.
  16. Bolden, Nevaughn, and Hall are poster children for why there’s not a direct line between recruiting stars and college success.

Finally, the thing that most disturbs me, is that this team doesn’t play with consistent intensity. They have some guys who show up on some plays, but it’s woefully inconsistent, and I don’t see the across the board ferociousness that you need to have to be a championship caliber team, at any level.

There are some talented younger players on this roster: Garcia ad TVD, taylor, restrepo, the Williams boys, etc …. They need to see reps. And more importantly, they need to be coached better.
Totally agree with this aspect. I think we are fed recently now that young highly ranked QB’s will be good out of the gate. And this isn’t always the case.
Combine that with the fact that whenever Miami plays against an Inexperienced (highly rated or not) QB, we make that guy look really good. We used to seeing and are fed constantly young QB’s playing well and winning games for their teams.
So it’s hard for some to accept the young guy mistakes

I lost all respect for Manny the second we ran 2 unmotivated runs against a stacked UVA front. I said this before we even lined up on 3rd and 4th down.
I'd like to see what Asslee would do if you told him he literally couldn't call dives anymore.

Totally agree with this aspect. I think we are fed recently now that young highly ranked QB’s will be good out of the gate. And this isn’t always the case.
Combine that with the fact that whenever Miami plays against an Inexperienced (highly rated or not) QB, we make that guy look really good. We used to seeing and are fed constantly young QB’s playing well and winning games for their teams.
So it’s hard for some to accept the young guy mistakes

this.

it's why the people on this board who don't know any better, are the ones who are so enamored with Garcia and discount the potential of TVD.

Garcia had perfect internet hype. it helps fuel that misplaced expectation. It also makes the expectations on TVD such that, "if he's not Trevor Lawrence, he's not a great QB." Total nonsense.

I think Garcia has great potential, same as I think for TVD. But the idea that Garcia would have been better than TVD in this game, or is a better QB at the moment (which he is not), is just laughable. We lost this game for a host of reasons. Not having Garcia over TVD at QB wasn't one of them.

These kids need to evaluated on their individual merits, not on the basis of how Trevor Lawrence or Jalen Hurts looked as freshmen on teams with much better players and coaches to support them.

Advertisement
TVD should be our future, I liked that he got us in position to win the game...sad the kick missed. This game reminded me of the fsu game where we scored late and missed an extra point that would've sent us to OT...

TVD showed a tremendous amount of growth in this game but he would have, and probably should have been replaced by Garcia had he been available.

Though I never root for a UM loss, a win here would have been like spraying lavender scented perfume on a pile of.... Once again the team came out unprepared and the offensive and defensive schemes were stubborn at best, incompetent at worst.

I think he was poor at reading the field and pocket for much of the game with a couple throws that could have been picks. However, he has an NFL arm and can squeeze it into small windows. He clearly was a little lost until Q3, but I loved how he got better as the game went on. And as OP mentions, the OL does almost NOTHING to help him in this game and Lashlee was not a friend to him with checkdowns or quick throws in his field of vision for an easy second read.

Tough to grade him too negatively for the limitations of the team and coaches. I want to see improvement throughout the year and for us not to immediately throw a go route in every obvious 1 man look. I do wish his deep ball had a touch less air on it. Seems to hang forever. His drop it in the bucket ability is pretty good though

I think he was poor at reading the field and pocket for much of the game with a couple throws that could have been picks. However, he has an NFL arm and can squeeze it into small windows. He clearly was a little lost until Q3, but I loved how he got better as the game went on. And as OP mentions, the OL does almost NOTHING to help him in this game and Lashlee was not a friend to him with checkdowns or quick throws in his field of vision for an easy second read.

Tough to grade him too negatively for the limitations of the team and coaches. I want to see improvement throughout the year and for us not to immediately throw a go route in every obvious 1 man look. I do wish his deep ball had a touch less air on it. Seems to hang forever. His drop it in the bucket ability is pretty good though
True about utilizing his quick release, he has the quickest gun of all our QB's ala Dan Marino and Tom Brady, a true weapon with a weak OL

Advertisement
Back