A Review of the Tape - UM vs. UVA

RedSquare

Freshman
Did the masochistic thing, and forced myself to rewatch the tape of the game. I will let @Lance Roffers do his thing, but I have some general observations:

1. As I mentioned last week and this, I expected TVD to make some good plays, some bad ones, and some puzzling ones that next season, would not be repeated. That happened as I predicted, and not because it’s not obvious, but we all need to keep reminding ourselves that the circumstances for anything else to happen is just not there. Freshman “phenoms” only show up when the team around them (coaches, players), can support that. Clearly, we are not that team. (And no, the results for the team would likely not have been any better if Garcia had played. For the numerous reasons I mention below).
  2. Throw away that glorified scrimmage last week against CCState. THIS was TVD’s first real game.
  3. Probably the best thing to happen to the kid (for his and the team’s long term benefit), was for the game to play out as it did. He struggled in the first half. That was a good thing. For a kid to run out on the field in his first game and go 20-24 with 3 TD’s, is not always such a wonderful thing. Let him struggle and fight through it. (which he did). Bernie Kosar, Ken Dorsey, Brock Berlin, Brad Kaaya, and others … none of them played well their first game, and some of them were downright miserable.
  4. NO picks. TVD’s ball handling and penchant for keeping the ball out of harm’s way is very good.
  5. Our receivers are not helping. TVD’s first two third down throws were drops. After missing the throw on the wheel route to Rooster in the 3rd quarter, he comes back the next play with a great throw to Romello on the Dig route. It’s a first down and a chunk play. He hits him in stride, and it was not a mentally easy throw. After missing the way he did the prior play, a tendency of the QB (and I’ve been there), is to short arm and “aim” the next one. He did the opposite. He threw with confidence and purpose. You can build on stuff like that.
  6. It’s difficult to overstate how bad our OL played for 3 ½ quarters of the game. It had an effect on TVD, and here’s how. I agree with @Lance Roffers that avoiding sacks are a joint responsibility of the QB and the OL. People were wondering, “why didn’t TVD shuffle out of a couple of those sacks? ” that’s a fair question when you have a collapse of a defender through a single rush lane. The QB needs to shuffle to another protected lane. The problem arises, when you have multiple rush lanes closing on you. I don’t care if you’re dan marino in that pocket, you’re going to have problems you can’t avoid in that situation, and multiple times last night, that was the case. Not having a credible running game that can churn out 5 yards a clip is also just kryptonite to any QB, let alone one that’s making his first start.
  7. As he did in the game (scrimmage) against CCSt, he had some big boy throws. For the second game in a row, he went across the hash on an out route against a rolled up corner. There are guys who play on Sundays whose OC’s don’t call that because it’s too much to ask. We’ve now seen him nail it multiple times. That’s the kind of stuff that you can build on.
  8. He got better as the game went on. The closer it got to the final gun, the more dialed in he was. It also coincided with better OL play. Funny how that works out.
  9. His run for the TD showed some moxie. Most QB’s run out of bounds in that situation. He kept his feet under him, and his eyes on the end zone, and saw Mallory engaging the DB. So he pressed on.
  10. There are so many calls that had me scratching my head on offense. The lack of checkdowns in the pattern on multiple occasions, in circumstances where you expect to see it, are not doing the offense good. There were 2 sacks where downfield, there was ZERO separation, nowhere to push the ball, yet, no checkdown in the pattern for the QB. That’s OC malpractice. I don’t get it. TVD was hanging in the pocket on more than one occasion where our WR’s had defenders pasted to their jerseys. I counted 2 sacks where a throw to any guy in the pattern would have been a likely pick. You need to stack the pattern vertically so there is a credible checkdown option for the QB. Period.
  11. Where are the TE’s? in this offense, if Lashlee is calling it correctly, the TE’s should have half a dozen catches by accident. Add in Mallory’s standard of play, and this is the most disappointing part of the offense after the OL
  12. On the plus side, however Lashlee managed TVD mentally during the game, it worked. The kid never lost his confidence, and just kept playing. Give credit to Lashlee where it’s due.
  13. I’m not sure who had the worse game on defense: 44-Jennings, 8-Ivey, or 21-Bolden. That 44 and 8 keep getting thrown in there is a damning indictment of our depth, and development of those guys. Bolden is almost just as bad. NO coverage instincts, and his tackling is way too inconsistent to be a reliable safety in run support.
  14. I saw plenty of freshman mistakes and freshman negatives from james Williams, Taylor, Arroyo, Chantz Williams, Brinson, and George. I also saw things that told me, like TVD, there’s a lot there to work with and the only way they all get better at this point, is to keep playing.
  15. If Restrepo was in Mallory’s body and playing TE, assuming Lashlee made it happen, he’d finish every game with 9 or 10 catches. Even as it is, he needs to start in the slot. LOVE that kid.
  16. Bolden, Nevaughn, and Hall are poster children for why there’s not a direct line between recruiting stars and college success.

Finally, the thing that most disturbs me, is that this team doesn’t play with consistent intensity. They have some guys who show up on some plays, but it’s woefully inconsistent, and I don’t see the across the board ferociousness that you need to have to be a championship caliber team, at any level.

There are some talented younger players on this roster: Garcia ad TVD, taylor, restrepo, the Williams boys, etc …. They need to see reps. And more importantly, they need to be coached better.

Last edited:
Advertisement
RE: the OL:

How many times did TVD step up in the pocket and get sacked? That's supposed to buy time for a throwaway or safety valve, but he was smothered.

I can't believe how bad this line has been for the last 4 years.

Advertisement
You can live with the underclassmen making mistakes. It's when you have upperclassmen who continue to make the same mistakes year after year but are on the field.
I agree. Marcus Clarke dropped that pick but that was a tough play and he played a bit after Stevenson went down and didn’t get roasted or picked on. They attacked our backers and safeties in coverage the whole game

Great stuff. I was pretty much done with TVD around the 3rd quarter. Didnt think he had it. But what I loved is that he hung in there, didnt get down on himself and showed some HUGE mental toughness. He has a chance to cement himself as the QB of the future these next 4 games since hes all we got and Garcia is out. TVD can build on this and show the younger guys hes ready to take over and to not lose faith in the long term. (i.e, transferring, checking out mentally on the season, etc)

I have been Bolden biggest defender but even I have to say he had a really bad game. I mentioned this in another thread..our secondary lacks game changing players. WAY TOO MANY dropped interceptions that change the momentum of the game. T-Rob needs to get on that and fast. Does any of our starting secondary guys have interceptions going into game 6? They have all had opportunities.

If your a HC out there, and are watching this team you have to see this isnt some 4 year rebuild. There is some big time young talent on this team. And they are only going to get better.

HOT TAKE: Once its decided we are no longer eligible for a bowl game and Manny is hopefully fired (I think that is what they are waiting for. When we officially are out of bowl contention, hes gone. Which probably will be by months end)..at that point, the youth movement needs to start. Alot of upperclassmen will need to move to the side and start preparing for life after football whatever that is. That list includes Harley, Mallory, Ivey, Bolden, Hall, Jennings, McCloud, Deandre Johnson, Ford, Miller, etc.

Did the masochistic thing, and forced myself to rewatch the tape of the game. I will let @Lance Roffers do his thing, but I have some general observations:

1. As I mentioned last week and this, I expected TVD to make some good plays, some bad ones, and some puzzling ones that next season, would not be repeated. That happened as I predicted, and not because it’s not obvious, but we all need to keep reminding ourselves that the circumstances for anything else to happen is just not there. Freshman “phenoms” only show up when the team around them (coaches, players), can support that. Clearly, we are not that team. (And no, the results for the team would likely not have been any better if Garcia had played. For the numerous reasons I mention below).
  2. Throw away that glorified scrimmage last week against CCState. THIS was TVD’s first real game.
  3. Probably the best thing to happen to the kid (for his and the team’s long term benefit), was for the game to play out as it did. He struggled in the first half. That was a good thing. For a kid to run out on the field in his first game and go 20-24 with 3 TD’s, is not always such a wonderful thing. Let him struggle and fight through it. (which he did). Bernie Kosar, Ken Dorsey, Brock Berlin, Brad Kaaya, and others … none of them played well their first game, and some of them were downright miserable.
  4. NO picks. TVD’s ball handling and penchant for keeping the ball out of harm’s way is very good.
  5. Our receivers are not helping. TVD’s first two third down throws were drops. After missing the throw on the wheel route to Rooster in the 3rd quarter, he comes back the next play with a great throw to Romello on the Dig route. It’s a first down and a chunk play. He hits him in stride, and it was not a mentally easy throw. After missing the way he did the prior play, a tendency of the QB (and I’ve been there), is to short arm and “aim” the next one. He did the opposite. He threw with confidence and purpose. You can build on stuff like that.
  6. It’s difficult to overstate how bad our OL played for 3 ½ quarters of the game. It had an effect on TVD, and here’s how. I agree with @Lance Roffers that avoiding sacks are a joint responsibility of the QB and the OL. People were wondering, “why didn’t TVD shuffle out of a couple of those sacks? ” that’s a fair question when you have a collapse of a defender through a single rush lane. The QB needs to shuffle to another protected lane. The problem arises, when you have multiple rush lanes closing on you. I don’t care if you’re dan marino in that pocket, you’re going to have problems you can’t avoid in that situation, and multiple times last night, that was the case. Not having a credible running game that can churn out 5 yards a clip is also just kryptonite to any QB, let alone one that’s making his first start.
  7. As he did in the game (scrimmage) against CCSt, he had some big boy throws. For the second game in a row, he went across the hash on an out route against a rolled up corner. There are guys who play on Sundays whose OC’s don’t call that because it’s too much to ask. We’ve now seen him nail it multiple times. That’s the kind of stuff that you can build on.
  8. He got better as the game went on. The closer it got to the final gun, the more dialed in he was. It also coincided with better OL play. Funny how that works out.
  9. His run for the TD showed some moxie. Most QB’s run out of bounds in that situation. He kept his feet under him, and his eyes on the end zone, and saw Mallory engaging the DB. So he pressed on.
  10. There are so many calls that had me scratching my head on offense. The lack of checkdowns in the pattern on multiple occasions, in circumstances where you expect to see it, are not doing the offense good. There were 2 sacks where downfield, there was ZERO separation, nowhere to push the ball, yet, no checkdown in the pattern for the QB. That’s OC malpractice. I don’t get it. TVD was hanging in the pocket on more than one occasion where our WR’s had defenders pasted to their jerseys. I counted 2 sacks where a throw to any guy in the pattern would have been a likely pick. You need to stack the pattern vertically so there is a credible checkdown option for the QB. Period.
  11. Where are the TE’s? in this offense, if Lashlee is calling it correctly, the TE’s should have half a dozen catches by accident. Add in Mallory’s standard of play, and this is the most disappointing part of the offense after the OL
  12. On the plus side, however Lashlee managed TVD mentally during the game, it worked. The kid never lost his confidence, and just kept playing. Give credit to Lashlee where it’s due.
  13. I’m not sure who had the worse game on defense: 44-Jennings, 8-Ivey, or 21-Bolden. That 44 and 8 keep getting thrown in there is a damning indictment of our depth, and development of those guys. Bolden is almost just as bad. NO coverage instincts, and his tackling is way too inconsistent to be a reliable safety in run support.
  14. I saw plenty of freshman mistakes and freshman negatives from james Williams, Taylor, Arroyo, Chantz Williams, Brinson, and George. I also saw things that told me, like TVD, there’s a lot there to work with and the only way they all get better at this point, is to keep playing.
  15. If Restrepo was in Mallory’s body and playing TE, assuming Lashlee made it happen, he’d finish every game with 9 or 10 catches. Even as it is, he needs to start in the slot. LOVE that kid.
  16. Bolden, Nevaughn, and Hall are poster children for why there’s not a direct line between recruiting stars and college success.

Finally, the thing that most disturbs me, is that this team doesn’t play with consistent intensity. They have some guys who show up on some plays, but it’s woefully inconsistent, and I don’t see the across the board ferociousness that you need to have to be a championship caliber team, at any level.

There are some talented younger players on this roster: Garcia ad TVD, taylor, restrepo, the Williams boys, etc …. They need to see reps. And more importantly, they need to be coached better.
Thanks. I saw tvd grow during the game as well and it was the highlight of the game. Line somehow realized how to block as well so something changed. Team fought through alot of adversity which is good for long haul. You forgot 26 but he should never see the field again. Terrible end of game management when uva on the ropes. All on Manny. Could have easily scored a TD or at least get inside the 10 to ensure the fg.

Advertisement
It's amazing how much worse one can feel about the team because a kick went about a foot wide.

truth.

although, my post above would have been the same regardless. what I saw is/was not affected by the last playoff the game.

but, you're right. the difference between what you think when you win on the last play, versus when you lose on the last play, is a razor thin line.

It's amazing how much worse one can feel about the team because a kick went about a foot wide.
Honestly, I feel good about what this team could do with a competent coaching staff. When I saw them take their foot of the gas and play for the FG at the end I wanted to see Manny kicked through the uprights. If they go for the TD and something happens so be it, at least Manny gets carried out on his shield when he **** well knows his job is on the line here.

I haven't rewatched the entire game and probably won't, but there was a replay they showed on the last drive of him working to his 3rd read and hitting Rambo for about 15 yards at midfield. He has potential.

ezgif-1-0dea66f90c8e.gif

Advertisement
I agree. Marcus Clarke dropped that pick but that was a tough play and he played a bit after Stevenson went down and didn’t get roasted or picked on. They attacked our backers and safeties in coverage the whole game
Every team will when you play a soft zone d, or blitz safeties from 15 yards out. The linebackers are the weak link and we put them in impossible situations with dumb blitzes. Flagg trying to cover their speediest wr? No words.

He just looks like a bad athlete. His body didn’t accept the weight gain needed to play tight end. Injuries piled on and now his confidence is shattered, he can’t block, he can’t catch and he’s not an athlete anymore
Agreed. He looks slow and sluggish, his hands have gotten worse too, and he can't break a tackle to save his life.

Advertisement
Don’t lower your standards.

TVD played poorly by elite standards.

He held the ball too long and took sacks.

He wasn’t reading the field at all for most of the game.

He missed some throws during the first 3 quarters that he should have made.

He made some nice plays at the end.

It feels “good” because he drove down for what should have been the game winner.

But the reality is that any team with a pulse would have blown us out last night.

And that was the worst defense we’ll face and he didn’t even complete 50% of his passes.

Sure he showed potential and maybe he’ll get better.

But atm I’m not sunshine pumping that performance for a guy that is a RS Frosh with NFL aspirations.

Don’t lower your standards.

TVD played poorly by elite standards.

He held the ball too long and took sacks.

He wasn’t reading the field at all for most of the game.

He missed some throws during the first 3 quarters that he should have made.

He made some nice plays at the end.

It feels “good” because he drove down for what should have been the game winner.

But the reality is that any team with a pulse would have blown us out last night.

And that was the worst defense we’ll face and he didn’t even complete 50% of his passes.

Sure he showed potential and maybe he’ll get better.

But atm I’m not sunshine pumping that performance for a guy that is a RS Frosh with NFL aspirations.

first start ever against a p5 team with a **** OL. come on

Clarke made a great play. That was epitome of a fluke. The guy caught it and didn't even realize it didn't hit the ground. Still another case of dropped interception leading to TDs though. Flagg's pick shows what happens to momentum when you actually execute a pick.

Advertisement
Back