A Potential Scenario

GojiraCane

All ACC
Let’s suppose Sam Howell is all they he is hyped up to be and more, and an unbeaten Canes slip up at home 28-24. Carolina is our only loss, and UNC goes 12-0 to win the division.

Miami goes undefeated the rest of the way to go 11-1. They fail to win the Coastal as UNC goes 12-0. Then the Tarheels get blown out by Clemson in the ACC title game.

Does Miami leapfrog UNC to get to the national championship tournament, presuming there is a spot for a 1 loss team?

Advertisement
To clarify, just a thought that popped up while at my sons basketball practice after reading about the Clemson receiver. I suppose the scenario could apply with any Coastal team, I just think UNC is the most likely challenger over the next three years.

Advertisement
1. Pass the blunt already

2. If you really do wanna play the it’s the offseason and I’m high as a giraffe’s balls game, the likelihood of this happening is very, very small. You can never say never, but there’d have to be a cosmic shift to get 2 ACC teams in the playoff. Every year is different, but it’s a pretty awful conference save clemson.

So many what ifs... but I would say it’s probably pretty unlikely

Let’s suppose Sam Howell is all they he is hyped up to be and more, and an unbeaten Canes slip up at home 28-24. Carolina is our only loss, and UNC goes 12-0 to win the division.

Miami goes undefeated the rest of the way to go 11-1. They fail to win the Coastal as UNC goes 12-0. Then the Tarheels get blown out by Clemson in the ACC title game.

Does Miami leapfrog UNC to get to the national championship tournament, presuming there is a spot for a 1 loss team?
Lots would have to happen. Aside from UNC having that record, other Miami opponents would need to be ranked at year end to have a chance. I'd say at least four would need to be ranked and Miami beating them soundly. A combo of ~ FSU, VT, MSU, Pitt, Wake and/or GT. This is for starters. Lots of other scenarios would need to take form.

All in all, it would be highly disappointing if Miami lost to UNC at home this season. I don't care if they have Howell or no Howell. It's UNC. They have less talent than Miami, although they have better coaches. That said, Canes should've beat them last season with the **** POOR OC Enos calling the shots. There's no conceivable way that this offense will be just as bad. If so, everyone just needs to be fired starting with the AD and start over.

Advertisement
Lots would have to happen. Aside from UNC having that record, other Miami opponents would need to be ranked at year end to have a chance. I'd say at least four would need to be ranked and Miami beating them soundly. A combo of ~ FSU, VT, MSU, Pitt, Wake and/or GT. This is for starters. Lots of other scenarios would need to take form.

All in all, it would be highly disappointing if Miami lost to UNC at home this season. I don't care if they have Howell or no Howell. It's UNC. They have less talent than Miami, although they have better coaches. That said, Canes should've beat them last season with the **** POOR OC Enos calling the shots. There's no conceivable way that this offense will be just as bad. If so, everyone just needs to be fired starting with the AD and start over.
I agree. I’m actually calling for a Houston / Miami 1991 sort of night when UNC comes to town.

UNC is a well coached team, but I don’t think they are good enough to go 12-0. They will be fortunate to win 10 games. IMHO, UNC has a lot of holes to fill on offense and defense. I like their QB, but not much else. UNC lost a lot of good experience on the OL and DL, and I am not convinced. I still like the Canes from a talent perspective. The Canes should win that game. It all depends on the coaching and player preparation

Advertisement
No. We don’t have the strength of schedule. Also, what happens if the SEC East/West Champ or runner-up does the same thing as us? They definitely get in over us - 1 loss

how much blow did you do before your wrote this?

Advertisement

AAAHHH, NO..........

No. Neither Miami or UNC is getting to the CFP without being the ACC champion. Our schedule is far too weak. We wouldn't get in being 12-0 and a loss to Clemson in the title game unless it's a 3 point loss or less to even have a chance.

In 2015, Iowa went 12-0, lost 16-13 to Michigan State in the Big 10 tile game and didn't get in.

No. We don’t have the strength of schedule. Also, what happens if the SEC East/West Champ or runner-up does the same thing as us? They definitely get in over us - 1 loss
Nah, in this scenario the SEC schools outside of the winner had 2 losses.

Advertisement
Back