A perspective from the other side

So I’ll confess I am a UNC fan but rest assured I come in peace. As you guys are focusing on the reasons for the loss last night, I want to share what I saw. First, talent-wise, you guys have some great skill sets and players. VanDyke played his *** off last night even after taking some brutal huts…he’s a warrior and you’re lucky to have him. The biggest difference I saw was as a lack of team discipline, which starts with the coaches. (The penalty on your asst. coach seemed to say everything about how the players are being held accountable). Secondly, the calls made by Cristobal were not thought out well and the failure to adjust during the game clinched it for us. With that being said, hopefully UM will be able to correct the leadership and you guys will have a bright future. One helluva game in the first half and wish you the best the rest of the season.

Advertisement
So I’ll confess I am a UNC fan but rest assured I come in peace. As you guys are focusing on the reasons for the loss last night, I want to share what I saw. First, talent-wise, you guys have some great skill sets and players. VanDyke played his *** off last night even after taking some brutal huts…he’s a warrior and you’re lucky to have him. The biggest difference I saw was as a lack of team discipline, which starts with the coaches. (The penalty on your asst. coach seemed to say everything about how the players are being held accountable). Secondly, the calls made by Cristobal were not thought out well and the failure to adjust during the game clinched it for us. With that being said, hopefully UM will be able to correct the leadership and you guys will have a bright future. One helluva game in the first half and wish you the best the rest of the season.

Ignore the riff-raff. I was at the game, and my assessment is the same.

Advertisement
You don't come in peace, and we all know it. Considering that UNC committed significantly more penalties(in fact UNC had double the penalty yardage), I wouldn't be saying anything about discipline. Miami lost on Saturday because of turnovers and a QB that is the king of empty stats. Miami should have been able to cash in on UNC's lack of discipline more often than they did. You aren't going to beat many teams when you leave a minimum of 10 points on the field.

He’s not wrong. Our coRch isn’t a game day savant for starters though UNC had many more penalties relating to discipline which shocked me. I thought we were the better team in the first half but the wheels came off after that and we got dragged.

Advertisement
He’s not wrong. Our coRch isn’t a game day savant for starters though UNC had many more penalties relating to discipline which shocked me. I thought we were the better team in the first half but the wheels came off after that and we got dragged.
yeah he's definitely not wrong. Will never know if this is the case or not, but it seemed to me by halftime that UNC was shook by the level of physicality they were not expecting and I have wondered whether they would have mustered back their confidence at halftime if they were down 14 instead of 3. That's one thing in sports that really drives me nuts - when you're clearly outplaying the other team but the gap is not reflected on the scoreboard. Momentum swings and when you've got it going you have to cash it in. We did not. They did.

Advertisement
100%

The TVD hate on this site is totally unfathomable

Miami lost on Saturday because of turnovers and a QB that is the king of empty stats.

This ^^^^^^.

The last two games finally soured me on TVD.

I was hoping we'd see the guy who played loose and free after finally getting on his horse with that 2-4 team in 2021. Instead, he still looks like last year's guy—deer in headlights, lost and not getting you the big play when you need it.

Four turnovers and a mistake-prone quarterback who has the opposite game of Drake Maye... my forever image of #9 is Restrepo on camera lifting his chin when cameras were on him after another pick against Georgia Tech and he was dead-eyed staring down.

Jesus, dude—enough sports psychology books—just go be a leader and rally your teammates when down like every other good quarterback in history. This kid is all academics and no balls or brawn.

Advertisement
Some of it is warranted lets not play the victim.
Agreed. I like TVD and want him to succeed. I insisted all offseason that Gattis was holding him back and he would be fine in a functional system. That's still partially true, but it's also true that he is far too often a 1 read QB who locks on to his primary receiver *cough* Restrepo *cough*, especially on 3rd and 4th down, and it leads to INTs. That criticism is completely valid.

Im most curious as to what happened mid-last week. I've NEVER seen ACC refs call that many penalties on a tobacco road school. One has to wonder if your protectors overdid in our Ga Tech game and had some guilt because they cost you guys a visit from the GameDay crew.

I'll finish the sentence

VanDyke played his *** off for UNC fans

Advertisement
Back