A note about the complaints about kids not liking D'Onofrio-

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomb

Band
Banned
... and some other coaches.

Good. Let a few weak kids who aren't getting run because they aren't committed enough or good enough point fingers.

I'm sorry, this is D1 Football. You're HC, coordinator, and position coach aren't here to give you participation ribbons. Either one or more of them are gonna need to be bad cop. The coordinator is really the best situated to play that roll, since the HC is more of a macro CEO and its better for you to be closer to your position coach.

Oh, no. Some benched kids think Coach D is too hard on them? **** that. No matter how good you are at recruiting and evaluating, you're going to make some mistakes. I'd rather these kids show their true colors now and move on and make way for some kids who can handle it, than take up space as dead wood for 5 years.

If you don't like how you're being treated, PLAY BETTER. WORK HARDER. FORCE YOUR WAY ONTO THE FIELD. These coaches have their families, livelihoods, and futures at stake. No one is going to sit you if you can help them win. Guess what? Its you, not them.

Can you imagine someone trying to pull this **** at Alabama or LSU? GTFO.

Advertisement
rnd-rudy.gif

There's always going to be complaints during a culture change. If you're working your tail off and know the playbook and make plays there's no way you're denied PT. If you don't like it then stand up and be accounted for so you can be replaced as quickly as possible. Someone would love the opportunity of a free education on their way to making big bucks in the NFL.

Great post OP! I pay good money to watch a great product be put on the field and that product hasn't been there for a decade and counting. These players scholarships are good for one year. At the end of that year they will be evaluated and can seek shelter elsewhere if need be. Get it done or kick rocks!!!

Good Coach and D'Nof do not belong in the same sentence, his defense was 116 out of 120 teams in FBS.

It's one thing not to like a coach, but you can still not like the coach and respect him, he has done little in the last two years to earn their respect.

Advertisement
Good Coach and D'Nof do not belong in the same sentence, his defense was 116 out of 120 teams in FBS.

It's one thing not to like a coach, but you can still not like the coach and respect him, he has done little in the last two years to earn their respect.

I'm not a fan of his play-calling, but you cant say he's a bad coach just yet.. Give him time to get 'his' guys in the system he wants. Right now, he's cooking in someone else's kitchen. Now, if 2 years down the line this D is still pathetic, he needs to be shown the door!

Werent we in the top 20 last year?

20.gif

Advertisement
I know for a fact that kids that started games at the end of the year that did not get any burn at the beginning....can't stand Coach D. Sometimes talent is just to good to keep off the field. Everyone who watch the games this year know we had guys playing in games this year who had no business on the field. The reason was because they brought in to the system from the beginning.

Isn't this what we all clamored for? A staff that would come in and kick everyone in the *** at all costs?

Isn't that what we desperately needed as an entire organization?

Coaches will ultimately have to succeed on the field though.

I know for a fact that kids that started games at the end of the year that did not get any burn at the beginning....can't stand Coach D. Sometimes talent is just to good to keep off the field. Everyone who watch the games this year know we had guys playing in games this year who had no business on the field. The reason was because they brought in to the system from the beginning.

Yeah, what you saw was a staff being sparing with young kids. You can't throw an 18 year old kid out there who is a top ten talent in his county and ask him to play every snap of a season against 22-23 year old men whove been in a college weight program for 3-4 years. They break down. Sure, we would have all loved to have seen Deon and Rayshawn in the same D back field, would love to have seen Duke get more touches, but you start dancing that line and you have a situation like the RB from South Carolina.

Before the season started and D'Onofrio was "still a good coach" I said I have never seen less talent and less depth on defense at UM than this 2012 roster and I was scared to death. I'm willing to give coach D a pass until we can get the talent and depth levels up. I've yet to see a defense with terrible DT's and CB's stop anyone. We had guys on the field this year that should have felt good about getting scout team reps.

I contended that even Chick, who many felt was an AA candidate was at best an average DL right now, should have been a redshirt freshman on the 2nd team this year, not playing 70 snaps a game (and if you want to blame someone for that, blame Shannon, not this staff who had no other choice). I felt we had one guy on defense that would normally be starting on a 10-win Canes defense, and the guy I put my chips in on, Perryman, was hurt for much of the year and not 100% for part of the rest. So basically we played this entire year as if the starting 11 all got kidnapped by aliens. Talent and depth were that depleted.

Based on how I felt pre-season, what I saw during the season, its hard for me to condemn D'Onofrio. He's hamstrung. There is a LOT he'd like to do, but can't because of personnel. So what do we get? A limited defense that got eaten up because we had ZERO PASS RUSH and were weak up the middle.

Hard to blame a coach in that scenario. Coach D will be carefully watched next year and that's fair. We all expect significant improvement, and I expect the lumps we took this year will yield dividends.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The biggest reason kids don't like coach D is because he is very disrespectful...lack people skills. Sometimes you have to give respect to get respect.

Advertisement

Werent we in the top 20 last year?

20.gif

Top 20?

Not that anyone cares, but we lost 9 of 11 starters and like 15 off the 22 2-deep from last year, with almost nothing behind them because of Shannon's lackluster recruiting. We got KILLED personnel-wise.

The biggest reason kids don't like coach D is because he is very disrespectful...lack people skills. Sometimes you have to give respect to get respect.

That's funny because the kids that played Defense at Temple loved coach D. But then again most of those kids were no stars and 2stars that hadn't been told how good they were their whole lives.

Lots of win in this thread.
As the saying goes "if it offends you then it probably applies to you"
Coach is mean,...waaaaa

As has been stated a 1000 times on this board.....you won't find a bigger prick than Saban. Difference being.....they are producing right now and we aren't. When we get the D turned around all this talk about D being a prick will disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back