A Look At 2024

Wooga is a wing. He plays the 2 & 3 spots. I don't think there's any chance Casey can play the 3 right now. In another year or two, IF he develops his perimeter skills? Maybe. Kinda reminds me of a young Anthony Walker. An athletic big that produces off the muscle, not necessarily his skill set. Just didn't see anything this season to tell me otherwise. Did show flashes of having a perimeter game in HS, but the ACC is a different animal. A guy to keep an eye on is C-Wat (Christian Watson). He's a 6'6" wing with similar measurable to Miller. My biggest concern is his lack of PT this past season. Would've been nice to see him get some consistent minutes during the latter part of the season, in hopes he would make the same kind of jump Wooga and Benz made after their freshmen year.
Watson is easily 6’8”+ now maybe even 6’9”. He’s taller than Omier, so if he can continue to be a good shooter at that size with his handles he is the ideal Miller replacement. Really hope he gets PT and doesn’t jump ship.

Advertisement
Get Landon from ST Francis he hit for 26 pts angainst us the kid is an stud and you can still get the two bigs to help Norshad.

The problem with next year is we have one freshman (Nwoko). And supposedly he can play defence which should give him minutes.

It’s really difficult to have 12-13 scholarship players all competing for PT. It looks great on paper for depth but at the end of the day, kids want to play.

At what point do you pass on Watson? What role does Robinson serve (I doubt he’d want to play on the scout team again only). How do you sell PT to upperclassmen transfers with 5 guards (assuming Bev comes back) on the roster.

Who sits next year if you bring in 3? Watson? Robinson? Casey? Bev? Kids that come back want more than scout team minutes.

Last edited:
What if Life Wallet as a business goes "belly up?" Are there other Ruiz' businesses with NIL possibilities? If not, where are other local businessmen/women with UM ties who could offer similar NIL opportunity? Other schools (especially the mega state universities) have collectives, where it isn't so dependent on just one person.
someone on the FB site wanted to offer $10K towards NIL for UM but realizing its small he asked if there was a group. There were (at least) 2 Canes groups that apparently are set up for this, someone replied. I can look them up again if anyone wants/needs. Other colleges popularize such groups I have seen, at least they did at first till some negative comments were made. Then there was that Gatorz drama recently couldnt meet the $ amount supposedly. Sticky slope here it seems.

Advertisement
Well. Scratch Bev. Just entered the portal. If Wong leaves that puts us at 8 scholarships.

Joseph
Robinson
Wooga
Pack
Watson
Nwoko
Casey
Omier

Credit to Jakai for hanging in there. He should see PT. He’s a tough kid.

The problem with next year is

Who sits next year if you bring in 3? Watson? Robinson? Casey? Bev? Kids that come back want more than scout team minutes.
Great question. I suspect the NIL sources maybe even the collectives want to know that as well (before forking up big bucks "to certain prospects" that would attract commitments.) Obviously Coach L can't/won't/shouldn't make promises and reveal that to them. Slope getting stickier by the day.

Well. Scratch Bev. Just entered the portal. If Wong leaves that puts us at 8 scholarships.

Joseph
Robinson
Wooga
Pack
Watson
Nwoko
Casey
Omier

Credit to Jakai for hanging in there. He should see PT. He’s a tough kid.
How do you know? Have you seen him in action?

If I were Wong, think I'd realize that being named ACC POY and leading my team to the Final Four is the pinnacle of my college career. Only likely way to go from that is down, or be injured. I'd take my chances now in the NBA draft/overseas.
Unless the NIL deals would pay him roughly the same. Chance to go for a championship. Seems close w the guys on the team. I'm not totally sure what his NBA future is right now but if he can make close to the same or even better, why not. I'd love to have him back. If miami returns 4 starters they should easily be top 5 depending on what they do in the portal

Last edited:
Advertisement
He has until April 23 to declare for the draft and unlike the last two years when he was able to enter his name and withdraw after going through the process, he will not be able to this year as players are not allowed to test the NBA Draft waters three times.
Miller is hopeful to be invited to the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago on May 16-18.
• NBADraft.net’s latest mock draft published on April 8 projects Wong to Sacramento in the second round with the 38th pick and Miller to Minnesota in the second round with the 53rd pick in addition to projecting Wooga Poplar as a second-round pick, 33rd overall, in 2024.
“Without naming any names our coaches have to be very active in the portal in looking for a 4-man,” Larranaga said.

Bump

The roster as of today:
Pack/Joseph
Wooga/Robinson
Watson
Casey
Omier/Nwoko

5 open scholarships, but only 2 starting spots are open (Pack, Wooga, and Omier are obviously automatic starters).
The 3 and 4 spots are up for grabs (or 2 and 4 if we decide to slide Wooga to the 3).

Updated biggest areas of need:
1. A starting caliber PF. It appears we aren't going after a big C, so L must be comfortable going small (instead of sliding him to the 4). We need an athletic stretch 4 who can defend, rebound, and score inside and outside
2. A starting caliber wing. Maybe Watson ends up being that guy. If so, see need #4
3. A bench guard who can handle the ball and eat some minutes. Our current backcourt is scary thin
4. A bench wing

I really hope we truly aren't done recruiting the class of 2023 because I don't see how we will fill all of these spots in the portal.

Bump

The roster as of today:
Pack/Joseph
Wooga/Robinson
Watson
Casey
Omier/Nwoko

5 open scholarships, but only 2 starting spots are open (Pack, Wooga, and Omier are obviously automatic starters).
The 3 and 4 spots are up for grabs (or 2 and 4 if we decide to slide Wooga to the 3).

1. A starting caliber PF. It appears we aren't going after a big C, so L must be comfortable going small (instead of sliding him to the 4). We need an athletic stretch 4 who can defend, rebound, and score inside and outside
2. A starting caliber wing. Maybe Watson ends up being that guy. If so, see need #4
3. A bench guard who can handle the ball and eat some minutes. Our current backcourt is scary thin
4. A bench wing

I really hope we truly aren't done recruiting the class of 2023 because I don't see how we will fill all of these spots in the portal.
I believe the only two high school guys that we could have a shot at are the former Duke and Charleston signees.

Advertisement
Jakai
Bump

The roster as of today:
Pack/Joseph
Wooga/Robinson
Watson
Casey
Omier/Nwoko

4. A bench wing

Jakai can play the 3 or 2

Advertisement
70D27460-50A6-44F8-8B2C-4FDD83B206FA.jpeg

This would probably be a worse case scenario line-up going into next season IF we don't add any transfers from the portal. I can see it working. Scoring should increase for all returning core players. Would be nice to see if we can get an average of about 50 points per game from Pack, Poplar and Omier. I think with more PT Joseph will get close to 10 if not a little more. Casey will undoubtedly increase his ppg average as well. Biggest question will be the rebounding and depth. We should be ok defensively, but will be hard to replace the walking Swiss Army knife in Miller. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Last edited:
View attachment 236088

This would probably be a worse case scenario line-up going into next season IF we don't add any transfers from the portal. I can see it working. Scoring should increase for all returning core players. Would be nice to see if we can get an average of about 50 points per game from Pack, Poplar and Omier. I think with more PT Joseph will get close to 10 if not a little more. Casey will undoubtedly increase his ppg average as well. Biggest question will be the rebounding and depth. We should be ok defensively, but will be hard to replace the walking Swiss Army knife in Miller. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
Oh, you wanted a Swiss Army knife did you? Coach L heard!

Advertisement
Back