A Look At 2024

I agree with our about the danger of projections, so how about this position.

This year’s team is more talented 1-10 than last year’s team. Will it translate to more wins is hard to say because Wong and Miller were so big in so many big games. Miller against Texas literally played one of the top 2-3 games in the history of the NC2A tournament, along with Laetner and Walton.
And Wong made so many clutch shots all season.
But our bench last year was not very strong and not deep. Our rotation was 8 in any important games and Casey and Watson gave next to nothing when they did play.

So ON PAPER we are more talented 1-10 is my assessment. Fair or unfair position?
For me, to have a shot at surpassing last year's team, we need Casey and/or Nwoko to exceed expectations. If neither can contribute much, we're still gonna have an interior size issue.

Also, can't overestimate the loss of Senior leadership in Wong and Miller departures. The importance of that experience is not a myth.

Advertisement
For me, to have a shot at surpassing last year's team, we need Casey and/or Nwoko to exceed expectations. If neither can contribute much, we're still gonna have an interior size issue.

Also, can't overestimate the loss of Senior leadership in Wong and Miller departures. The importance of that experience is not a myth.
Nwoko has grown man strength and ready to be the back up 5. Casey will play more of a stretch 4.
I also expect Watson to contribute this season, and hopefully George as well. That should allow us to go 8 deep with legit players. And possibly 9 depending on George.

I do not believe our starting 5 will have 5 players who are scoring threats as we did last season, but I think we make up for it with more bench production.

Nwoko has grown man strength and ready to be the back up 5. Casey will play more of a stretch 4.
I also expect Watson to contribute this season, and hopefully George as well. That should allow us to go 8 deep with legit players. And possibly 9 depending on George.

I do not believe our starting 5 will have 5 players who are scoring threats as we did last season, but I think we make up for it with more bench production.
George is going to be one of our 5 best players. He is crushing it in practice

George is going to be one of our 5 best players. He is crushing it in practice
If this turns out to be the case then I’d like to see Joseph as the 6th man again. I’m admittedly worried about the lack of size in a Pack/Joseph back court. Joseph is a good defender but its hard to hide 2 small players.

If this turns out to be the case then I’d like to see Joseph as the 6th man again. I’m admittedly worried about the lack of size in a Pack/Joseph back court. Joseph is a good defender but its hard to hide 2 small players.
If Joseph is on the bench, who's the primary ball handler? Pack? I don't like him at PG because he'll use too much energy breaking presses and distributing, which could adversely affect his three point shooting. He needs to play off the ball imo but ... I easily could be wrong.

Your best five isn't necessarily your starting five.

Advertisement
If Joseph is on the bench, who's the primary ball handler? Pack? I don't like him at PG because he'll use too much energy breaking presses and distributing, which could adversely affect his three point shooting. He needs to play off the ball imo but ... I easily could be wrong.

Your best five isn't necessarily your starting five.
I think Pack has to play point if he wants to play in the NBA. He can’t play the 2 guard as a pro. I’m confident he was told at the draft combine that he needs to show he can play the point.

I think Pack has to play point if he wants to play in the NBA. He can’t play the 2 guard as a pro. I’m confident he was told at the draft combine that he needs to show he can play the point.
I did think of that (sorta what Wong was told last year by the NBA evaluators). And, maybe Pack will be our PG. Just selfishly saying I think he's better playing off the ball for us. Can get into his shot rhythm easier.

What do you think of Pack's odds to make it as an NBA point? He's very small (can he defend at the next level?), and he doesn't penetrate much. Clearly, he already has the outside shot at NBA range. I never really focused on his passing ability (he's usually on the receiving end of those),

I did think of that (sorta what Wong was told last year by the NBA evaluators). And, maybe Pack will be our PG. Just selfishly saying I think he's better playing off the ball for us. Can get into his shot rhythm easier.

What do you think of Pack's odds to make it as an NBA point? He's very small (can he defend at the next level?), and he doesn't penetrate much. Clearly, he already has the outside shot at NBA range. I never really focused on his passing ability (he's usually on the receiving end of those),
You and I are on the same page as to what is best for UM and why that maybe different from what Pack is hearing from the pro people. I’m also trying to think about who is a comp for him in the NBA at this size and no one jumps to mind but maybe someone else can help us. The problem for Pack at the next level is defending. Even someone like Chris Paul would muscle him.

Of course he can make millions playing in Europe where they have lots and lots of smaller guards even in Euro League.

Advertisement

Isn't going to take much to exceed Walker's contributions last year. He gave nothing on the boards and was a liability on the floor most nights. Right now we are starting 2 seniors and 3 juniors, all who have played a lot of games and a lot of minutes. Wooga played 24 minutes per and Benz played 20 minutes per last year. I think you are going to get 20 minutes per from George. Sounds like the kid is too good not to play a lot. Casey will be better. Nwoko is a willing rebounder and large presence. Just a question on how quickly the bench jells right now.

You and I are on the same page as to what is best for UM and why that maybe different from what Pack is hearing from the pro people. I’m also trying to think about who is a comp for him in the NBA at this size and no one jumps to mind but maybe someone else can help us. The problem for Pack at the next level is defending. Even someone like Chris Paul would muscle him.

Of course he can make millions playing in Europe where they have lots and lots of smaller guards even in Euro League.
He'll make a lot of money in Europe.

Isn't going to take much to exceed Walker's contributions last year. He gave nothing on the boards and was a liability on the floor most nights. Right now we are starting 2 seniors and 3 juniors, all who have played a lot of games and a lot of minutes. Wooga played 24 minutes per and Benz played 20 minutes per last year. I think you are going to get 20 minutes per from George. Sounds like the kid is too good not to play a lot. Casey will be better. Nwoko is a willing rebounder and large presence. Just a question on how quickly the bench jells right now.

Exactly.. the key this year is to have a more viable bench without much dropoff... also we were very fortunate last year from an injury point of view... no major injuries except for Omier in the final weeks

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back