A Key Position Next Year

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
We talk about the obvious transitions:

Jacory to Morris or Williams?
Miller (maybe) to James/Clements/Duke or committee?
Can Dorsett stretch the field and fill the slot role?
Can Perryman mitigate the loss of Spence?

An underrated hole to fill will be at Center. I think we have an opportunity to upgrade the position and essentially make a stronger "first 5."

How?

Brandon Linder. Linder's been wildly inconsistent this year, but he can potentially slide inside and give us the type of mauling OL many of us seek. There are, however, a number of considerations. Does Fisch and Company want a more "lateral" OL? If so, maybe they'll look to Mcderm as a smaller, quicker alternative. There are a bunch of OL positions that can shift from now till 2012, and I think some of that will hinge on the Center position.

The line that intrigues me the most:

LT Henderson
LG Washington
C Linder
RG Feliciano/Bunche
RT Bunche/Feliciano

The second line that intrigues me the most:

LT Henderson
LG Washington
C Linder
RG Wheeler (heard very good things)
RT Feliciano

The third line that intrigues me the most:

LT Henderson
LG Washington
C Wheeler
RG Linder
RT Feliciano

Advertisement
What did you hear about Wheeler?

The kid looks the part for sure and he would be a HUGE help. I would love to see Linder take over at center and put Wheeler at guard with Washington.

Henderson at LT and either Bunche or Feliciano at RT sounds good to me.

What did you hear about Wheeler?

The kid looks the part for sure and he would be a HUGE help. I would love to see Linder take over at center and put Wheeler at guard with Washington.

Henderson at LT and either Bunche or Feliciano at RT sounds good to me.

Haven't watched him at all, but he's gotten some rave reviews. Very technical, good feet.

Does anybody else just get this bad feeling that Henderson will never become that LT we all hope/expect him to be?

If Henderson doesn't regain his lateral quickness he will remain at RT IMO. I do think Lindner to center is a good choice. However, first and foremost I will be more than mildly disappointed if Washington isn't moved back inside. I will flatten Keyblowholio's tires if he leaves BW out on that island again.

Advertisement
Really think Henderson should of just sat the entire season and get 100%. Just seems to be tentative at times since returning

Moving Washington back to G is the key to me as he just isn't a dominant T. He can dominate at G IMO and with Henderson next to him at LT give us 2 maulers on the blind side. Feliciano should improve with more reps as will Bunche and getting both onto the field and moving Linder to C would wise IMO.

I would also like to see a new OL caoch as I really don't feel like Kehow got the best out of this unit this season.

Does anybody else just get this bad feeling that Henderson will never become that LT we all hope/expect him to be?

I'm starting to fear this. Outside the Duke game I dont think his play has been that great. Hopefully its just injuries that are slowing him down.

Henderson's always been overrated IMO. If he can get healthy I do think he'll leave here as a very good pass blocker but I don't know if I see a dominant run blocker in him. If he could become a Bryant McKinnie-type pass protector his run blocking is easily ignored but that is a stretch. This is a guy many point to as a top NFL pick. From where I sit he has yet to go through a season as an every down player. Since I don't care a lot about the pros, I'd be happy to see him actually starting and playing whole games here first. Hopefully he does that next year.

Regarding the line, my biggest hope is that we get more athletic which may mean smaller. Ever since 2003 we've basically been big, slow, and not very good. We've had some large, strong guys (Bain, Gunn, McMeans, etc) but we've lacked discernible mobility and toughness. I'd honestly like to see an interior line of 290 lb guys that can hold the point of attack but can also MOVE. If I have to watch another couple seasons of Miami guards lumbering all over themselves trying to pull or getting roasted off the ball by a 260 lb DL who can haul ***, I might curl up fetal.

Advertisement
Linder was the backup center for all of 2010. Took all the second team reps at center the entire year. Before games this year he's been one of the guys snapping balls to the qb's during warmups.

It's all about position battles.

Seantrel, Bunche, Johnson, Barton, Gadbois at tackle

Linder and McDermott at center

Washington, Wheeler, Feliciano, Wells at guard

No love for McDermott at Center next year?

I don't think anyone is counting him out but he will need to compete with at least one other guy for the starting job.

Linder and Wheeler are the only candidates that come to mind. Washington might even get a look there too.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back