A Kaaya Review

0-13 when trailing at halftime & 64-124, 51.6%, 812 yards, 6.55 yards/pass, 3 TD, 5 Int, 16 sacks taken. His teams scored five 4th quarter TD's in 14 games; sums up exactly what his career was at Miami.

This is why blaming playcalling for the losses against, Notre Dame, UNC & Va Tech is simply foolish, it also highlights is 2nd half struggle against FSU despite having the lead in the 1st half.

The OL hasn't been great, but we've all watched Kaaya take dozens of sacks while having plenty of time to get rid of the ball.

This has been the team's Achilles' tendon on Offense more so than anything else, Kaaya is an incredibly slow read in the pocket & does not respond well against heavy pressure.

He doesn't have a quick trigger, so his reaction time would be thrown off rhythm quite often in pressure situations (3rd downs & crucial plays etc..).

The Va Tech & UNC games particularly for me show this in abundance, our Defense got so many stops early on in those games giving us chance after chance, but the O just couldn't move the ball, every time the Defense got a stop, they would be back on the field in 30secs after a 3 & out by the Offense.

When everything was perfect with a clean pocket & he only had to make one read he could get in a Zone & catch fire, but other than that in Richt's offense he just couldn't handle coming off his first read if it wasn't open.

To me, the 4 game slide in October last year was primarily on him, yes the OL deserve some blame as well, but Kaaya really couldn't handle the moment of those big pressure games against FSU, UNC, Va Tech & ND.

With that said, I still wish him the best in the league & hope he has success... I'm also still amazed how he managed to end up the All-time passing leader in school history lol.

would rep

giphy.gif

What is happening in that gif?

Sniped.

Broke nose via recoil. Watch him squeeze da trigger den get ssmacked with his weapon.

nah.. watch the helmet

I thought you were right for a second as well

Advertisement
I don't hate Brad at all, never once said I didn't want him to get drafted, nor do I wait for him to fail...

I simply pointed out what I saw last season & what I feel was the reason why we lost those 4 games.

It also extrapolates to the entirety of his time here... You can't spin numbers, they are what they are.

Every time I've posted on Brad I always say I hope he has success in the league because it helps us with recruiting.

I'm one of the few who actually defends most of players on our squad when the nitpickers are bashing'em Walton & Chad for example, but just because I don't think Brad is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady doesn't mean that I hate him or hope that he fails.

0-13 when trailing at halftime & 64-124, 51.6%, 812 yards, 6.55 yards/pass, 3 TD, 5 Int, 16 sacks taken. His teams scored five 4th quarter TD's in 14 games; sums up exactly what his career was at Miami.

This is why blaming playcalling for the losses against, Notre Dame, UNC & Va Tech is simply foolish, it also highlights his 2nd half struggle against FSU despite having the lead in the 1st half.

The OL hasn't been great, but we've all watched Kaaya take dozens of sacks while having plenty of time to get rid of the ball.

This has been the team's Achilles' tendon on Offense more so than anything else, Kaaya is an incredibly slow read in the pocket & does not respond well against heavy pressure.

He doesn't have a quick trigger, so his reaction time would be thrown off rhythm quite often in pressure situations (3rd downs & crucial plays etc..).

The Va Tech & UNC games particularly for me show this in abundance, our Defense got so many stops early on in those games giving us chance after chance, but the O just couldn't move the ball, every time the Defense got a stop, they would be back on the field in 30secs after a 3 & out by the Offense.

When everything was perfect with a clean pocket & he only had to make one read he could get in a Zone & catch fire, but other than that in Richt's offense he just couldn't handle coming off his first read if it wasn't open.

To me, the 4 game slide in October last year was primarily on him, yes the OL deserve some blame as well, but Kaaya really couldn't handle the moment of those big pressure games against FSU, UNC, Va Tech & ND.

With that said, I still wish him the best in the league & hope he has success... I'm also still amazed how he managed to end up the All-time passing leader in school history lol.

I've been saying this for a while now and all I get are Kaaya slurpers trying to go back and forth with zero facts. But when LCE says it... Lol.

For real though, glad someone else isn't afraid to admit Kaaya really wasn't that good here. He did a lot of stat-padding against bad-mediocre teams and that's it apart from putting up good numbers in the first half of FSU games (lol). I admit the last TD pass against FSU this past season was pretty clutch (one of only a few), but if he hadn't thrown that terrible redzone pick earlier in the game then it wouldn't have mattered.

Last edited:

This is why blaming playcalling for the losses against, Notre Dame, UNC & Va Tech is simply foolish, it also highlights his 2nd half struggle against FSU despite having the lead in the 1st half.
Think you're off here and I've previously written long posts why (so I won't again here). Even Richt admitted he was still sorta feelings things out. Everyone gets a piece of the blame, but that's the point. It isn't foolish to call a spade a spade.

Advertisement
While it is an impressive collection of stats and facts - we need to also remember a few other facts
- Kid played with the worst OL in over 20 years - when we played IAA & Sunbelt teams they were getting pressure
- Kid played 2/3's of his games with the worst Miami HC going back over 50 years
- Kid played 2/3's of his games with the worst Miami DC in 100 years

We will miss Brad - period. This board is falling into a familiar trap of being in love with an incoming Messiah QB

While it is an impressive collection of stats and facts - we need to also remember a few other facts
- Kid played with the worst OL in over 20 years - when we played IAA & Sunbelt teams they were getting pressure
- Kid played 2/3's of his games with the worst Miami HC going back over 50 years

We will miss Brad - period. This board is falling into a familiar trap of being in love with an incoming Messiah QB

I can be confident in saying that N'Kosi Perry is worth falling in love with. (no-h0m0)

CD - Nothing would make me happier in you being right and me being wrong

How about we agree - with our OL, we better have a kid that can move in the pocket like Perry

Go Canes

End of the day, Kaaya was a timing QB, everything had to be perfect for em', couldn't improvise for $h!t.

Those spur of the moment skills you see from Perry in HS will transition to College...can't teach it...didn't see that on Brad's HS tape.

Advertisement
Similar to Sam Bradford although Sam was a bit bigger and actually had an O-line. He was a timing guy. He HAD the lines but just didn't have IT. Proof is in the NFL puddin. Time will tell.

We are not going to miss a quarterback who can't convert on third down and can't run for a first down. EVER! He had like -136 yards rushing last season. His offense line in 2014 had 3 current starters in the NFL (Flowers, Mongo, Linder). It didn't make a difference. He is a Rob Johnson clone. Looks good in practice or mismatch games, but is not a grinder or winner.

The best thing about Kaaya's career was that he lost so many big games that Golden got fired and we now have Richt.

Next man up. Been waiting to say this since the Maryland game.

Last edited:
Getting sacked has less to do with speed and more to do with feel, instincts and the ability to process information quickly. Look at a dude like Baker Mayfield. He's not a burner in the 40, but he seemingly has 6 eyes and an incredible ability to improvise. Meanwhile, as I've pointed out several times with stats, the 20 most sacked QBs in a season in history is full of very athletic guys.

I've been a big Kaaya supporter, but there's no getting around the numbers Vision posted. Those numbers tell you he wasn't a money QB. If you're limited physically, and you're not clutch, that's a tough spot for you as a QB. Whoever plays QB this year will unquestionably be a better athlete than Kaaya. That, however, might not result in him taking less sacks. You hold that ball a split second too long and that's a sack no matter how fast you can run in a straight line.

My hope is that our next QB will be a more money guy. I'm not looking for a guy who stinks it up the whole game then has a couple "miracle" comebacks digging out of a hole he put us in. I would love to see a guy who, unlike the numbers Vision posted, steps up and makes plays to keep drives alive late, keep the D off the field, and can run for a key first down or TD to ice a game late instead of having to drop back on 3rd and 4 and block everything perfectly and complete a 6 yard pass that the D knows is coming because the QB can't improvise.

Similar to Sam Bradford although Sam was a bit bigger and actually had an O-line. He was a timing guy. He HAD the lines but just didn't have IT. Proof is in the NFL puddin. Time will tell.

Already discussed who BK coaches were as a True
- Bradford Oklahoma Coaches when he was a Frosh included: Stoops, Kevin Wilson (becomes HC) , Brent Venables (Great DC) , Kevin Sumlin (becomes HC) and Cale Gundy (AC) - we had Doriotes

Advertisement

STOP. It's over. Golden had a better record with Morris. And don't accuse other people of doing with Perry what you clearly did with Kaaya.

Actually - I will stop when we stop saying we are in a better position without Brad

I could understand the argument if we were stacked at QB but right now we have two JAGS battling for the #1 Spot
- Malik: 3 star - Scholarship Offers: Furman, Ark State, Middle Tenn State and Western Kentucky
- Shrreffs: 2 Star - Offers Columbia & Virginia Military..... that is it

Once again - if Perry would have enrolled early and lit it up in Spring - I can understand the argument - but that is not where we stand today

Go Canes

Actually - I will stop when we stop saying we are in a better position without Brad

I could understand the argument if we were stacked at QB but right now we have two JAGS battling for the #1 Spot
- Malik: 3 star - Scholarship Offers: Furman, Ark State, Middle Tenn State and Western Kentucky
- Shrreffs: 2 Star - Offers Columbia & Virginia Military..... that is it

Once again - if Perry would have enrolled early and lit it up in Spring - I can understand the argument - but that is not where we stand today

Go Canes

By all means, keep going. None of what you're saying is accurate, you just look ridiculous. If you learned anything from Kaaya it's that what things look like in the spring don't necessarily translate during the season. We will win more games this year than we ever did with Brad, so yes we will be better without him.

Advertisement
I will stop when we stop saying we are in a better position without Brad

Besides blaming Brad's shortcomings on coaching and the supposed lack of talent around em', name one redeeming quality that we're gonna miss about Brad?

Besides blaming Brad's shortcomings on coaching and the supposed lack of talent around em', name one redeeming quality that we're gonna miss about Brad?

He could hit some throws most guys can't at times.

He just missed too many others that even I could hit.

Ratio of 4 TDs to 1 Int will be the Stat and Redeeming Quality we miss
- Canes 21 is right Brad did miss too many throws but I am worried that ratio could look very different in 2018
- especially since we are very thin at RB and the OL doesnt impress

you mention that he was 22-3 in games where he was leading at halftime, I believe all 3 of those losses were against FSU

does that change anyone's opinion around here?

bottom line: he was a decent QB but did not have the intangibles needed to take a team to the next level.

Advertisement
Back