A Kaaya Review

isn't intended to be a referendum on the poor play of Kaaya, but rather be an informational post to illuminate the fact that while we are losing experience at the most important position, we really only need marginal play to match what we received over the previous three seasons.

If we start the season with only marginal play we'll have more of the same. I foresee see a lot of restless CISers come mid-fall.

Advertisement
The next time Brad Kaaya wins a game after trailing at halftime will be the first. He was 0-13 in such situations in college. To be fair, most teams win when they lead at halftime, but to not come back from a deficit even once in your entire college career is alarming.

Here are Kaaya's results in the 4th quarter of losses:
64-124, 51.6%, 812 yards, 6.55 yards/pass, 3 TD, 5 Int, 16 sacks taken. His teams scored five 4th quarter TD's in 14 games (removed from Clemson game and I excluded North Carolina because it was 51-3 or whatever).

I admit that I have been a huge Kaaya supporter and defender but it's hard to argue against facts. Numbers don't lie and these numbers reek of mediocrity. In fact they are actually quite pathetic. I still think that Kaaya will do okay in the league if he is in the right system, but man, these numbers that [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] has laid out in this thread over shadows all of the passing records that Kaaya has at The U.

What's funny is I was wondering if those stats included Kaaya's ND stats this year, then I realized that he didn't throw any TDs in the comeback and that go ahead TD came off of a fumbled punt. Sounds like a Kaaya led team. Then when ND tied it back up and Kaaya had a chance to take the team down the field for the win, he does nada.

I don't know why he's become such a polarizing figure, but there is this groundswell of fans just waiting for him to fail so they can beat their chests and say they were right. You can smell it in these threads.

The numbers don't lie, he didn't get a lot done here when what little we had was on the line. These stats don't scream NFL QB, there's no debate, but through 3 seasons he lit up the UM passing records and got pretty darn high in those books. That gives me a glimmer of hope he succeeds.

You guys get that right? That we need him to succeed. It makes UM look better the more guys we have in the NFL. And we've not had a UM QB do much in the League since I don't know, Testeverde? So love him, hate him or be indifferent to him as a UM QB, but you better all be rooting for him as an NFL QB. Sunday is free advertising for college programs!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I quit defending Brad a long time ago. He was what he was.

And I'll just leave it at that. He's not as big of a loss as some think.

Kaaya was a game manager at best, the worst game manager of all time on average though. He never dominated against anyone, scrubs included, just did enough to get over the hump.

Compare his stats to Deshaun Watson and it's laughable in every category.... Kaaya is suppose to be the "cerebral" NFL ready QB but completion percentage isnt in the same leagues as Watson.

Also Kaaya's best TD season was 27 as a freshman and 26 his junior year.... while Watson had 35 TDs his sophomore and 41 TDs his junior year.

Keep in mind most of Watsons throws were big play attempts, in the pocket, and ended up with a much higher completion percentage and way more passing TDs.

Kaaya was busy throwing check downs and short passes at players feet all day, Watson would have had a 90% completion percentage doing that bs.... he just wasnt that good.

I don't know why he's become such a polarizing figure, but there is this groundswell of fans just waiting for him to fail so they can beat their chests and say they were right. You can smell it in these threads.

The numbers don't lie, he didn't get a lot done here when what little we had was on the line. These stats don't scream NFL QB, there's no debate, but through 3 seasons he lit up the UM passing records and got pretty darn high in those books. That gives me a glimmer of hope he succeeds.

You guys get that right? That we need him to succeed. It makes UM look better the more guys we have in the NFL. And we've not had a UM QB do much in the League since I don't know, Testeverde? So love him, hate him or be indifferent to him as a UM QB, but you better all be rooting for him as an NFL QB. Sunday is free advertising for college programs!

No one here is rooting for him to be a failure in the NFL. I'd love nothing more than for him to be the next Brady. What people like me are simply trying to say is that he was overrated while he was here and the dropoff in QB this year may not be that huge. The guy was really good at beating the App St's of the world, but he just buckled too many times against teams that were closer to being equal. His TD:INT ratio this year and through his career was impressive, but when you look at it, it's a mirage. He was a stat collector to the highest degree. I don't have the list off the top of my head, but it was like the FAMU, WVU, Duke, Pitt, App St games that he threw for 19 TDs and 1 INT. The rest of the games on the year he had 8 TDs and 6 INTs. He threw for less than 50% against either NCST or UVA. He was the only QB that faced UNC to not throw for a TD besides whoever played for The Citadel. Some of the stats are just embarrassing. I used to be big on Kaaya, halfway through his So. yr I started come to where I am today. Unfortunately, he just wasn't the leader and winner we all had hoped for. I hope for his sake that turns around somehow in the NFL.

Our next QB may not throw 27 TDs and 7 INTs this year, but if it is Perry or whoever I will take a dropoff in individual stats everyday if it is clear in the play that we are better off overall. Perry could have 20 TDs and 12 INTs, but he may step up in the critical moments and have some game winning drives or just tear it up in 4th quarters when we need him to. Who knows what the QB play will be like, it could be a lot worse this year. I liked Kaaya, he's a Cane forever, but I am ready to move on to the next guy because I saw all Kaaya had to offer. I want to see the next man step up and when the game is on the line, I want to see them do everything in their power to lead us to victory because the last guy just could never do that.

Advertisement

No one here is rooting for him to be a failure in the NFL. I'd love nothing more than for him to be the next Brady. What people like me are simply trying to say is that he was overrated while he was here and the dropoff in QB this year may not be that huge. The guy was really good at beating the App St's of the world, but he just buckled too many times against teams that were closer to being equal. His TD:INT ratio this year and through his career was impressive, but when you look at it, it's a mirage. He was a stat collector to the highest degree. I don't have the list off the top of my head, but it was like the FAMU, WVU, Duke, Pitt, App St games that he threw for 19 TDs and 1 INT. The rest of the games on the year he had 8 TDs and 6 INTs. He threw for less than 50% against either NCST or UVA. He was the only QB that faced UNC to not throw for a TD besides whoever played for The Citadel. Some of the stats are just embarrassing. I used to be big on Kaaya, halfway through his So. yr I started come to where I am today. Unfortunately, he just wasn't the leader and winner we all had hoped for. I hope for his sake that turns around somehow in the NFL.

Our next QB may not throw 27 TDs and 7 INTs this year, but if it is Perry or whoever I will take a dropoff in individual stats everyday if it is clear in the play that we are better off overall. Perry could have 20 TDs and 12 INTs, but he may step up in the critical moments and have some game winning drives or just tear it up in 4th quarters when we need him to. Who knows what the QB play will be like, it could be a lot worse this year. I liked Kaaya, he's a Cane forever, but I am ready to move on to the next guy because I saw all Kaaya had to offer. I want to see the next man step up and when the game is on the line, I want to see them do everything in their power to lead us to victory because the last guy just could never do that.
There are absolutely people here, the ones calling him Kaayak, etc., that are hoping he fails.

There are absolutely people here, the ones calling him Kaayak, etc., that are hoping he fails.

I call him Bard, Kayak, whatever, so no, your logic is off.

Kaaya was a game manager at best, the worst game manager of all time on average though. He never dominated against anyone, scrubs included, just did enough to get over the hump.

Compare his stats to Deshaun Watson and it's laughable in every category.... Kaaya is suppose to be the "cerebral" NFL ready QB but completion percentage isnt in the same leagues as Watson.

Also Kaaya's best TD season was 27 as a freshman and 26 his junior year.... while Watson had 35 TDs his sophomore and 41 TDs his junior year.

Keep in mind most of Watsons throws were big play attempts, in the pocket, and ended up with a much higher completion percentage and way more passing TDs.

Kaaya was busy throwing check downs and short passes at players feet all day, Watson would have had a 90% completion percentage doing that bs.... he just wasnt that good.

hahaha, what? The hate for Brad is so unbelievable on this board. Brad finished after 3 years the 4th all time leading passer in the history of the ACC. If he never performed against good teams or bad teams, where did those numbers come from? if he would have come back the only passing record he wouldn't have gotten, probably, was surpassing Rivers for TDs. Off the top of my head I believe he would have needed close to 40tds. Everyone needs to take a breath and relax. Dude seems to be a good young man, he played his *** off, was tough, didn't turn the ball over. He is a cerebral player that played for terrible coaches his first 2 years. He should have come back IMO, we would be legit contenders with him this year, make no mistake about that. Watson threw many, many short passes through out his career. Im not knocking him but you are knocking Brad for it. Get a grip dude we have all heard your bull**** hate so many times. Hopefully Brad tears it up in the league

Advertisement

they don't care..these guys hope for our guys not to get drafted every year..but tote the nfl u thing.,.which is strange to me...we had guys mad tat Tracy Howard made it so they can be "right"..lol

I knew Tracy Howard had the talent to play in the NFL along with many others like Anthony Chickillo.... Brad Kaaya doesnt have NFL talent imo

Then when ND tied it back up and Kaaya had a chance to take the team down the field for the win, he does nada.

That's His career in a nutshell vs teams with any semblance of a pulse. Kid was a good redzone QB, but ask Him to consistently lead our O down the field from our own 20 vs good teams, fuhhhhhhgetaboutit.

Advertisement
Meanwhile McShay now has Josh Dobbs ranked higher than Kaaya for the draft

glad he isn't drafting. Cant wait till you guys understand that agents pay guys like Mcshay for pub
Dude needs to fix his base. At times, he is weirdly inaccurate as if he forgets how to throw a football. Good athlete and all that, but someone needs to teach him how to make consistent throws. Erratic as all get out.

0-13 when trailing at halftime & 64-124, 51.6%, 812 yards, 6.55 yards/pass, 3 TD, 5 Int, 16 sacks taken. His teams scored five 4th quarter TD's in 14 games; sums up exactly what his career was at Miami.

This is why blaming playcalling for the losses against, Notre Dame, UNC & Va Tech is simply foolish, it also highlights is 2nd half struggle against FSU despite having the lead in the 1st half.

The OL hasn't been great, but we've all watched Kaaya take dozens of sacks while having plenty of time to get rid of the ball.

This has been the team's Achilles' tendon on Offense more so than anything else, Kaaya is an incredibly slow read in the pocket & does not respond well against heavy pressure.

He doesn't have a quick trigger, so his reaction time would be thrown off rhythm quite often in pressure situations (3rd downs & crucial plays etc..).

The Va Tech & UNC games particularly for me show this in abundance, our Defense got so many stops early on in those games giving us chance after chance, but the O just couldn't move the ball, every time the Defense got a stop, they would be back on the field in 30secs after a 3 & out by the Offense.

When everything was perfect with a clean pocket & he only had to make one read he could get in a Zone & catch fire, but other than that in Richt's offense he just couldn't handle coming off his first read if it wasn't open.

To me, the 4 game slide in October last year was primarily on him, yes the OL deserve some blame as well, but Kaaya really couldn't handle the moment of those big pressure games against FSU, UNC, Va Tech & ND.

With that said, I still wish him the best in the league & hope he has success... I'm also still amazed how he managed to end up the All-time passing leader in school history lol.

would rep

giphy.gif

What is happening in that gif?

Sniped.

they don't care..these guys hope for our guys not to get drafted every year..but tote the nfl u thing.,.which is strange to me...we had guys mad tat Tracy Howard made it so they can be "right"..lol

Link?

0-13 when trailing at halftime & 64-124, 51.6%, 812 yards, 6.55 yards/pass, 3 TD, 5 Int, 16 sacks taken. His teams scored five 4th quarter TD's in 14 games; sums up exactly what his career was at Miami.

This is why blaming playcalling for the losses against, Notre Dame, UNC & Va Tech is simply foolish, it also highlights is 2nd half struggle against FSU despite having the lead in the 1st half.

The OL hasn't been great, but we've all watched Kaaya take dozens of sacks while having plenty of time to get rid of the ball.

This has been the team's Achilles' tendon on Offense more so than anything else, Kaaya is an incredibly slow read in the pocket & does not respond well against heavy pressure.

He doesn't have a quick trigger, so his reaction time would be thrown off rhythm quite often in pressure situations (3rd downs & crucial plays etc..).

The Va Tech & UNC games particularly for me show this in abundance, our Defense got so many stops early on in those games giving us chance after chance, but the O just couldn't move the ball, every time the Defense got a stop, they would be back on the field in 30secs after a 3 & out by the Offense.

When everything was perfect with a clean pocket & he only had to make one read he could get in a Zone & catch fire, but other than that in Richt's offense he just couldn't handle coming off his first read if it wasn't open.

To me, the 4 game slide in October last year was primarily on him, yes the OL deserve some blame as well, but Kaaya really couldn't handle the moment of those big pressure games against FSU, UNC, Va Tech & ND.

With that said, I still wish him the best in the league & hope he has success... I'm also still amazed how he managed to end up the All-time passing leader in school history lol.

would rep

giphy.gif

What is happening in that gif?

Sniped.

Broke nose via recoil. Watch him squeeze da trigger den get ssmacked with his weapon.

Advertisement
Back