A History Lesson RE: the gator

I was at the Arnold Palmer Invitational golf tournament at Bay Hill last week. How can anyone relocate to the Orlando area? One lowlife Gator fan after another. I wore my Canes stuff 3 of the 4 days just hoping to inspire comments. Whenever it happened in antagonistic fashion I gave them the 1987 material about dropping the series like cowards. Orange, Blue and Mostly Yellow. I'm more vulnerable now at this age but at 6-4, 205 they don't take it too far. Lots of pointed fingers. Big deal. It feels great.

Gator Flop was overrated. Cheap reference point. We despised the Gators long before that.

I was at that game and saw the young Gator assistant running down the sideline prior to the play, motioning with palms down while frantically shouting, "Down...get down." I have told that story many times on various sites including here. Our family was sitting low on that side, at maybe the 20 yard line. I turned to my dad and told him what was going to happen. Dad said, "They would never do that. It would be the epitome of poor sportsmanship." Then a few seconds later his mouth was ajar in disbelief, as I matter of factly said, "I told you."

Advertisement
Some of you guys crack me up, "a different kind of kid goes to UF"...seriously, my son goes to UF and virtually all of the kids I've met from there are just like every other college kid.
Funny I went to their spring game two years ago and wore my Miami hat, we went to a coupe of tailgates and even a frat house and no one said a peep to me, even in the stadium we talked about Richt and their concerns about Franks and Mullen.

I find that pretty hard to believe. I have a U car tag and have had my car egged, had jack daniels dumped on me, have been cursed at and hit by an orange. I was born in Gainesville (raised in Jacksonville) but find it to be pretty much of a hick-type town full of students speeding around on mopeds & there is a great difference in the students @ UF vs. Miami. Miami has a far more diverse and international student body and few are native Floridians. They are generally more sophisticated and most probably more affluent based upon costs to attend Miami. To be fair, academically, they are both great schools and have far better ratings than FSU.

Yup. Don Bailey Jr. has commented on this incident many times. I'm telling you guys, THIS is the hated program. THIS is the program we need to embarrass. We rarely get a chance to play these pussies. We can NOT let this opportunity slip. This is Miami's most hated rival, period. You cannot lose to this team.

The Miami fans at the game were getting nailed by oranges as well. Including yours truly.
My running not-to-funny joke is that i have SUNKIST indelibly stamped on my temple.

Advertisement
This post got my juices flowing. You young dudes need to take notes. I remember in 1988 when they dropped us and stated they wanted to go to a national schedule. Who did they replace us with the great college powerhouse Montana State?

Florida went out and played Montana State. The Gators won, 69-0. While that might sound like a mismatch, the game got out of hand only because Montana State was looking past UF to its big confrontation the following week against traditional rival Mesa College. {Ouch}

Some other great canes lead the way for this hatred the one and only Yamma Yamma and his classic cheer “Alligator Bags, alligator shoes. If you’re a gator you’re born to lose.

The greatest gator hater of all time. Walt Kichefski who was recognized by the school with the title “The Gator Hater.” Walt Kichefski is also listed in Wikipedia as “The Gator Hater”. You don’t just make it to Wikipedia with that title without practicing what you preach. The man lived pure hate for the gators 24 7. I was very fortunate to have meet this man while I was a student at the U. He gave me a true understanding of the hatred for the gators. When that man spoke about the gators his veins would pop out of his neck, his eyes would say it all. Walt Kichefski a true Cane.
Some old time canes can add to the memory of Walt Kichefski, you young dudes need to take notes and store this.

Huh? There's a big difference between running up the score (which is disrespectful, but I can live with) and laying down on the ******* field to let your opponent score. Are you high? This program would NEVER do that. That's sacrilegious. You don't lay down on a football field like a bunch of *******. Ever. Get the **** out of here with this garbage.

Speaking of "running up the score", I like Jimmy Johnson's response to Coach Ara Parseghian and commentator, Brent Musburger (sp?) after we ran up the score on Notre Dame as to: "it is the offense's job to score points and the defense's job to stop them"! Notre Dame had routinely run up the score on less talented teams for years & we just gave them a taste of their own medicinel
I loved every minute of it.

I was told that story by a player on the team then. It might be on YouTube someplace. Everything else is

I saw this game, I believe I was just a kid, on TV. I actually remember it. I think the kickers name was Greg Davis. But I tried looking on YouTube for the game and I can’t find it, I tried different search terms also. I was just hoping maybe somebody had a link to it.

Advertisement
I was at the Arnold Palmer Invitational golf tournament at Bay Hill last week. How can anyone relocate to the Orlando area? One lowlife Gator fan after another. I wore my Canes stuff 3 of the 4 days just hoping to inspire comments. Whenever it happened in antagonistic fashion I gave them the 1987 material about dropping the series like cowards. Orange, Blue and Mostly Yellow. I'm more vulnerable now at this age but at 6-4, 205 they don't take it too far. Lots of pointed fingers. Big deal. It feels great.

Gator Flop was overrated. Cheap reference point. We despised the Gators long before that.

I was at that game and saw the young Gator assistant running down the sideline prior to the play, motioning with palms down while frantically shouting, "Down...get down." I have told that story many times on various sites including here. Our family was sitting low on that side, at maybe the 20 yard line. I turned to my dad and told him what was going to happen. Dad said, "They would never do that. It would be the epitome of poor sportsmanship." Then a few seconds later his mouth was ajar in disbelief, as I matter of factly said, "I told you."

I agree... i live a few miles down the road from there in Windermere and have gaytor neighbors.... insufferable

... but no backing down here.

...My boys are raised Cane and flaunt cane stuff in their face. In fact i am seeing more and more young ones with Cane wear at my son's basketball practice ....

Last edited:
I agree... i live a few miles down the road from there in Windermere and have gaytor neighbors.... insufferable

... but no backing down here.

...My boys are raised Cane and flaunt cane stuff in their face. In fact i am seeing more and more young ones with jerseys at my son's basketball practice ....

I was just at a wedding at Isleworth a couple weekends ago. Made sure to wear Canes gear Friday night and Saturday before the wedding...Orlando is seeming to be more and more gator country.

Canes Family,

As each day of the calendar flips, and **** do they flip fast, we get closer and closer to Week 1 and a date with the gator in Orlando. I've been seeing more and more posts on here about Game 1, and rightfully so. It's a HUGE game for this program as we transition into what we all hope is a very successful Manny Diaz era.

But I want to make sure that all Canes fans FULLY understand the hatred that exists between these 2 programs. I want each and every one of us to be worked into a fervent lather as this game approaches, because not only do we want to smash these cousin****ers, but we want to embarrass and disrespect them as well. Because, frankly, that's what they've done to us throughout their history when they could. Because they're the scum of the earth, and I want everyone on this site and in this fan base to understand that.

First of all, a few times a year, a thread will pop up about "Who do you hate most?" and there are always several answers. FSU, obviously. Notre Dame. Some of you hate other schools we've had history with, like OSU or Pedophile State. And that's fine...I understand those answers. But for the older Canes, the ones who FULLY know the history of the program, there is only 1 answer: the gator. I understand if you hate FSU. We play them every year, they've been good lately, there's a lot of alumni in South Florida, you probably know dozens of FSU fans, etc. etc. But at the root of the history of the program, there is a mutual respect between Miami and FSU. We hate each other, but we respect each other. This is how it's always been. But with UF, there is ZERO respect. None. It is pure guerrilla warfare. And I think this is lost on some of the younger fans because they don't truly know the history. Hopefully this thread can educate some of you on why we not only want to beat these spineless pricks, we want to embarrass and humiliate them. And then laugh in their faces while fingerbanging their women. Well, the 3 or 4 hot ones out of the 25k that go there.

It really all started with the Gator Flop in 1971. In one of the most classless and embarrassing displays in the history of the game, the gators LAID DOWN ON THE FIELD in order to let Miami score so they could get the ball back to their QB John Reaves, who was about to set the all-time NCAA record for passing yards. I encourage all of you to read about it HERE. It's hard for me to articulate how embarrassing and disrespectful this was. UF was winning the game 45-8 at the time, and all of their defenders fell down on the field to let Miami score. And then, to make matters worse, many of their players jumped into the fountain at the Orange Bowl that used to house Flipper, the Miami Dolphins mascot (who of course, also played at the Orange Bowl at the time). So you beat our *** (remember, Florida was a MUCH better program at this time), you flop onto the field to let your chicken**** QB break a record on our field, and then you jump into our fishtank? Nope. That **** doesn't fly here. Read up on the Gator Flop. It's truly one of the most despicable and disrespectful acts in the history of the game.

OK, let's fast forward a little bit. Through the 70s and into the 80s. Now, you need to remember 2 things: Miami and Florida had played every year since 1939 into the 80s. That's 49 straight years of football (save 1943 for a little thing called War War 2). So they were our FSU at the time. And also, Florida was MUCH better than Miami in the late 60s and through the 70s. From 1968 to 1977, the gators beat Miami 9 times to Miami's 1. The gator administration had NO PROBLEMS beating the **** out of Miami every single year at this time. But then something funny happened. Miami actually got good at football. And from 1978 until the series ended in 1987, Miami beat UF 7 out of 10 times. Uh-oh. This tomato can we've been pummeling for years and years is actually ruining our seasons. So what do these cowards do? They cancel the ******* series. And what's the excuse?? They say they "want to play a more national schedule". Oh really? Well, after the 1987 game in which they scored FOUR ******* points on 2 balls snapped over Miami's punter's head for 2 safeties (and they lost 31-4), instead of opening with Miami, they instead played Montana State in 1988...a game they won 69-0. Yep. Bunch of tough guys. Oh, and the 1987 game at Miami was the last time they opened the season outside of Gainesville until 2017. They got tired of getting their *** kicked by Miami, so they dropped them and played a home opener for the next THIRTY years.

So let's recap. We play every year for a generation, you usually kick our ***, you lay down on the **** field so your QB can break a record, and then you jump in our fishtank. You lose 7 out of 10 games, and cancel the series. The last game we play, you score FOUR points (that we gave you). While Miami has built their program on the "anyone, anytime, anywhere" mantra we all know, the university of florida hadn't played a road OOC game outside of the state of Florida since 1991...until the Michigan game 2 years ago when they got blown off the field. Add in the fact they kicked a FG with 25 seconds left when they had a dominant team in 2008 that was totally meaningless and 10000% running up the score.....and we're going hunting for blood in August. I hope we kill these soft *** ********. Every single one of 'em.

So, next time someone asks you who Miami's biggest rival is....if you want to say FSU or OSU or whoever, that's your prerogative. But for the true historians of the program, the answer is really that scum that resides in CANESville. They truly are the softest program in the country, and there is no debate.
Canes Family,

As each day of the calendar flips, and **** do they flip fast, we get closer and closer to Week 1 and a date with the gator in Orlando. I've been seeing more and more posts on here about Game 1, and rightfully so. It's a HUGE game for this program as we transition into what we all hope is a very successful Manny Diaz era.

But I want to make sure that all Canes fans FULLY understand the hatred that exists between these 2 programs. I want each and every one of us to be worked into a fervent lather as this game approaches, because not only do we want to smash these cousin****ers, but we want to embarrass and disrespect them as well. Because, frankly, that's what they've done to us throughout their history when they could. Because they're the scum of the earth, and I want everyone on this site and in this fan base to understand that.

First of all, a few times a year, a thread will pop up about "Who do you hate most?" and there are always several answers. FSU, obviously. Notre Dame. Some of you hate other schools we've had history with, like OSU or Pedophile State. And that's fine...I understand those answers. But for the older Canes, the ones who FULLY know the history of the program, there is only 1 answer: the gator. I understand if you hate FSU. We play them every year, they've been good lately, there's a lot of alumni in South Florida, you probably know dozens of FSU fans, etc. etc. But at the root of the history of the program, there is a mutual respect between Miami and FSU. We hate each other, but we respect each other. This is how it's always been. But with UF, there is ZERO respect. None. It is pure guerrilla warfare. And I think this is lost on some of the younger fans because they don't truly know the history. Hopefully this thread can educate some of you on why we not only want to beat these spineless pricks, we want to embarrass and humiliate them. And then laugh in their faces while fingerbanging their women. Well, the 3 or 4 hot ones out of the 25k that go there.

It really all started with the Gator Flop in 1971. In one of the most classless and embarrassing displays in the history of the game, the gators LAID DOWN ON THE FIELD in order to let Miami score so they could get the ball back to their QB John Reaves, who was about to set the all-time NCAA record for passing yards. I encourage all of you to read about it HERE. It's hard for me to articulate how embarrassing and disrespectful this was. UF was winning the game 45-8 at the time, and all of their defenders fell down on the field to let Miami score. And then, to make matters worse, many of their players jumped into the fountain at the Orange Bowl that used to house Flipper, the Miami Dolphins mascot (who of course, also played at the Orange Bowl at the time). So you beat our *** (remember, Florida was a MUCH better program at this time), you flop onto the field to let your chicken**** QB break a record on our field, and then you jump into our fishtank? Nope. That **** doesn't fly here. Read up on the Gator Flop. It's truly one of the most despicable and disrespectful acts in the history of the game.

OK, let's fast forward a little bit. Through the 70s and into the 80s. Now, you need to remember 2 things: Miami and Florida had played every year since 1939 into the 80s. That's 49 straight years of football (save 1943 for a little thing called War War 2). So they were our FSU at the time. And also, Florida was MUCH better than Miami in the late 60s and through the 70s. From 1968 to 1977, the gators beat Miami 9 times to Miami's 1. The gator administration had NO PROBLEMS beating the **** out of Miami every single year at this time. But then something funny happened. Miami actually got good at football. And from 1978 until the series ended in 1987, Miami beat UF 7 out of 10 times. Uh-oh. This tomato can we've been pummeling for years and years is actually ruining our seasons. So what do these cowards do? They cancel the ******* series. And what's the excuse?? They say they "want to play a more national schedule". Oh really? Well, after the 1987 game in which they scored FOUR ******* points on 2 balls snapped over Miami's punter's head for 2 safeties (and they lost 31-4), instead of opening with Miami, they instead played Montana State in 1988...a game they won 69-0. Yep. Bunch of tough guys. Oh, and the 1987 game at Miami was the last time they opened the season outside of Gainesville until 2017. They got tired of getting their *** kicked by Miami, so they dropped them and played a home opener for the next THIRTY years.

So let's recap. We play every year for a generation, you usually kick our ***, you lay down on the **** field so your QB can break a record, and then you jump in our fishtank. You lose 7 out of 10 games, and cancel the series. The last game we play, you score FOUR points (that we gave you). While Miami has built their program on the "anyone, anytime, anywhere" mantra we all know, the university of florida hadn't played a road OOC game outside of the state of Florida since 1991...until the Michigan game 2 years ago when they got blown off the field. Add in the fact they kicked a FG with 25 seconds left when they had a dominant team in 2008 that was totally meaningless and 10000% running up the score.....and we're going hunting for blood in August. I hope we kill these soft *** ********. Every single one of 'em.

So, next time someone asks you who Miami's biggest rival is....if you want to say FSU or OSU or whoever, that's your prerogative. But for the true historians of the program, the answer is really that scum that resides in CANESville. They truly are the softest program in the country, and there is no debate.

Just so the record is straight John Clifford a safety from Coral Gables and my neighbor was the only one who did not lay down. Much respect to him and a horrible memory for me.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just so the record is straight John Clifford a safety from Coral Gables and my neighbor was the only one who did not lay down. Much respect to him and a horrible memory for me.

I always heard there was one gator who did not lay down. Kudos to John Clifford.

I was just at a wedding at Isleworth a couple weekends ago. Made sure to wear Canes gear Friday night and Saturday before the wedding...Orlando is seeming to be more and more gator country.
Its ALWAYS been UF territory.....Two of UFs biggest Boosters have companies downtown....both are Mega Rich....

I hate the Gaturds with the fury of 1000 suns......and I always will.

Same here, my in-laws are all Gayturd fans and boy do they love rubbing it in of their success recently versus our 15+ years of futility. 2017 shut their asses up real quick especially after the Michigan game and our 10-0 start. Not a **** beep out of one of them. That was until they destroyed Michigan in their bowl game, going 10-3 last year. One whole year break is what I’ve had in 29yrs of marriage. I would love nothing more than to watch Franks get snapped in half, their starting tailback maimed beyond recognition, a bizarre play involving the “accidental” breaking of Mullen’s knee caps on a tackle out of bounds, and them going 0-11 for the entire year, losing to the Canes by 50pts. Thanks mate, now you’ve got my blood boiling....

Advertisement
I also won’t forget when urban meyer called a timeout to kick that fg. randy was not happy after the game. I have absolute zero respect for them.

Semper Canes!!!

With FSU they irritate me, but they get a slight nod of respect because they play us every year and play us hard.

With the Gators there is no respect. They took their ball and went home and they were tired of losing. I remember them thumping their chests so hard in '08. First win in 30 years, and it took their historically best team to do it.

And their '08 team would be run out on rails by our '01 team. Not. Even. Close.

They call us ScUM. They call us thugs, they call our fanbase all sorts of things.

I loathe the Florida Gators football team. If I could see them lose every game they ever play against us for all eternity, I could die contented.

To **** with them.

Please don't use an "s" after "Gator" or Gaytor."
It's simply "Gator."
That's how our Hurricane Legend, Leader among Men, the late Coach Walt Kichefski would have wanted it.

You're disrespecting his memory.

Just as an aside, the UM QB who carried the ball into the endzone during the infamous Gator Flop, John Hornibrook, is the great-uncle of FSU's new QB. We have some unfinished business with the younger Mr. Hornibrook. Keep that in the back of your mind.

Advertisement
Back