A History Lesson RE: the gator

Advertisement
Please don't use an "s" after "Gator" or Gaytor."
It's simply "Gator."
That's how our Hurricane Legend, Leader among Men, the late Coach Walt Kichefski would have wanted it.

You're disrespecting his memory.

Just as an aside, the UM QB who carried the ball into the endzone during the infamous Gator Flop, John Hornibrook, is the great-uncle of FSU's new QB. We have some unfinished business with the younger Mr. Hornibrook. Keep that in the back of your mind.
check out Elvis on how he sings it. polk salat anny your GATOR ATE YOUR GRANNY. IS THAT POLITICALLY CORRECT. Mister Biden.

just like the young man that got his head bashed in 3 weeks ago. freedom of speech. it goes both ways. polk salat anny, the GATOR ate your granny. 🤕🤕

This post got my juices flowing. You young dudes need to take notes. I remember in 1988 when they dropped us and stated they wanted to go to a national schedule. Who did they replace us with the great college powerhouse Montana State?

Florida went out and played Montana State. The Gators won, 69-0. While that might sound like a mismatch, the game got out of hand only because Montana State was looking past UF to its big confrontation the following week against traditional rival Mesa College. {Ouch}

Some other great canes lead the way for this hatred the one and only Yamma Yamma and his classic cheer “Alligator Bags, alligator shoes. If you’re a gator you’re born to lose.

The greatest gator hater of all time. Walt Kichefski who was recognized by the school with the title “The Gator Hater.” Walt Kichefski is also listed in Wikipedia as “The Gator Hater”. You don’t just make it to Wikipedia with that title without practicing what you preach. The man lived pure hate for the gators 24 7. I was very fortunate to have meet this man while I was a student at the U. He gave me a true understanding of the hatred for the gators. When that man spoke about the gators his veins would pop out of his neck, his eyes would say it all. Walt Kichefski a true Cane.
Some old time canes can add to the memory of Walt Kichefski, you young dudes need to take notes and store this.
I knew Walt and spent a few times at his kitchen table talking about the Gator. The hatred starts from the very beginning! They refused to play the “little school down south”. It took the Florida legislature to force them to play us! When Miami bussed up to Gainesville for that first game, Walt was a player. And Miami won that game! Walt would fume telling stories of how they treated our coaches that day, basically giving them a closet for our coaches box! He was brought into the locker room every year to give the pre-game speech and fire up the team, such a great guy!

That was a nice hysterical perspective and read. I wasn't born then, close, but I've read and heard different stories and versions through the years.

To be honest, the Gator flip doesn't matter to me. It was an eternity ago, so whatever. It's an interesting historical point in how and why what happened. To me, it's a lame *** way to set a record that I just shake my head at.

As for Gator fans, I've been to probably 50 games at different venues throughout the country. I've met far more good people than bad wherever I was. It seems to me that the actions of a few really taint a lot of your judgements in this thread. Either that or your attitudes while on hostile ground evoked some of the opposing fans reactions. By the same token, anything I've seen an opposing fan do, I've seen one of ours do wherever the venue.

Fact is, every fanbase has their share of idiots. In most cases, I would say alcohol was involved. It is what it is and I've been the brash, ****sure, obnoxious, Miami fan before and had to deal with school x's version of that as well. Those we're the younger years and age has humbled that......or perhaps it's been our downturn. Either way, it's silly to associate hate with a game, at least to me.

Advertisement
Much respect for taking to time to educate youngins properly. I’d like to add to anyone who hasn’t seen a video of the gator flop to google “Gator Flop 1971”...it will NEVER be forgotten nor forgiven.
This was before my time. I was lucky enough to have my Dad explain to me what happened at the game. He was a student at UM and at the game when it happened. I knew from a young age to watch out for UF people. They are scum 99.99% of the time. The only UF fans I associate with are ones in my family. All of those except for one I wouldn’t associate with except for one if he wasn’t blood. I’ve lived in FL my whole life and grew up in Duval. The UF hate is real.

Last edited:
That was a nice hysterical perspective and read. I wasn't born then, close, but I've read and heard different stories and versions through the years.

To be honest, the Gator flip doesn't matter to me. It was an eternity ago, so whatever. It's an interesting historical point in how and why what happened. To me, it's a lame *** way to set a record that I just shake my head at.

As for Gator fans, I've been to probably 50 games at different venues throughout the country. I've met far more good people than bad wherever I was. It seems to me that the actions of a few really taint a lot of your judgements in this thread. Either that or your attitudes while on hostile ground evoked some of the opposing fans reactions. By the same token, anything I've seen an opposing fan do, I've seen one of ours do wherever the venue.

Fact is, every fanbase has their share of idiots. In most cases, I would say alcohol was involved. It is what it is and I've been the brash, ****sure, obnoxious, Miami fan before and had to deal with school x's version of that as well. Those we're the younger years and age has humbled that......or perhaps it's been our downturn. Either way, it's silly to associate hate with a game, at least to me.

You don’t get it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back