A History Lesson RE: the gator

My wife and I have been discussing this Florida pre paid college fund, as we are trying to start a family. Do you know if it can be applied to tech school? My whole family is in education and I'm proud to have a degree but I have a trade that doesn't require one and pays me much more than most college grads. Personally, I believe trade school is more valuable for income and job security.

More people need to think like you. I don't believe it can be though, which is a whole nother rabbit hole. This facade that a degree is necessary to live a happy successful life. The two wealthiest guys I know, one is a plumber the other is an HVAC guy, but Ohhhh, look at my paper and my Human Studies degree?!?!
We, as a country, need to get back to respecting people that can provide a service or trade, god knows there's no one you're happier to see than the AC guy in August when your compressor blows.

Advertisement
They absolutely will not schedule us for maybe a decade if they win in August.

I truly believe one of the only reasons they scheduled us this time was bc of pressure from their South Florida alumni base.

More people need to think like you. I don't believe it can be though, which is a whole nother rabbit hole. This facade that a degree is necessary to live a happy successful life. The two wealthiest guys I know, one is a plumber the other is an HVAC guy, but Ohhhh, look at my paper and my Human Studies degree?!?!
We, as a country, need to get back to respecting people that can provide a service or trade, god knows there's no one you're happier to see than the AC guy in August when your compressor blows.
Absolutely, I know many people aside from myself with trades and it's definitely the way to go. It's so hard to compete with all the college grads trying to get into the workforce, while trades are always in demand and pay very well. I have a friend that went to electrician school after we graduated high school and he's now a master electrician. He gets flown by helicopter to wire up large ships off the east coast, makes about 200k plus hotels and per diem, it's crazy.

I absolutely agree that the days of getting hired simply because you have a 4 year degree are gone. Nowadays 'generic' degrees that don't tool you for a specific field or job are close to meaningless from an employment perspective. Other than the benefits on the social/personal development side, there's no doubt that it is likely more advantageous to specialize in a skill than simply to go to college.

My wife and I have been discussing this Florida pre paid college fund, as we are trying to start a family. Do you know if it can be applied to tech school? My whole family is in education and I'm proud to have a degree but I have a trade that doesn't require one and pays me much more than most college grads. Personally, I believe trade school is more valuable for income and job security.
I really don't know too much. I do know that there are a bunch of options when you start a Florida pre-paid account. From full room and board all the way down to 2 year tuition after 2 year community college. I know that you can always get your money back if your kid doesn't go to college for whatever reason but whether or not you can apply the prepaid towards trade school, I'm not sure.

Advertisement
Wanna know how we do it in my family? When I was applying to schools, I asked my dad for $60 to apply to UCF, UF, and FSU. We knew we couldn't afford UM, and I knew my dad would never pay for UF, but I was interested to see if I could get in to each school. It cost $20 to apply to a state school back then.

He walked into his room and returned with $40. When I looked at him confused and said, "I said I needed $60.....it's $20 each", he replied, "If you want to apply to the sheep****ers, find your own ******* money. Those pricks will never get a dime of mine."

That's how Canes roll.

I hope you'll pardon me when I say this but you probably turned out as ignorant of an *** as your father. Possibly not.... But we are both canes so I'd buy you a beer at any tailgate. In the grand scheme of things, a college education is worth far more than any Fandom to most.

Some of you guys crack me up, "a different kind of kid goes to UF"...seriously, my son goes to UF and virtually all of the kids I've met from there are just like every other college kid.
Funny I went to their spring game two years ago and wore my Miami hat, we went to a coupe of tailgates and even a frat house and no one said a peep to me, even in the stadium we talked about Richt and their concerns about Franks and Mullen.

Congrats?

If you think Gator fans aren't special you're not really a Cane fan.

with regards to the "gator flop". you wont see me crying or complaining about it. that's a gator and nole trait. to the victors go the spoils i say. and id hope that if we ever found ourselves in that same situation, we'd do the exact same thing.

over here sounding like randy shannon after urban kicked a field goal. accept the *** whooping and everything that comes along with it, keep your mouth shut, and do everything ******* possible to ensure that you dont end up in that same situation again.

Absurd commentary.

I have high school friends who went to UF but are Miami season ticket holders. Let's be honest, a lot of people simply can't afford to attend private schools and UF is by far the most prestigious state school available. Especially if your parents set up a Florida Pre-Paid account for you when you were a kid. You can only use that money at a state school.

You are exactly right. All my kids and my niece and nephew are on the prepaid Florida plan. Just because we went to a different institution for a degree makes us no less diehard cane than the rest. Money talks. The blowhards saying otherwise either have no college education or had a spoonfed life growing up in the wealthy 1%ers

Advertisement
I hope you'll pardon me when I say this but you probably turned out as ignorant of an *** as your father. Possibly not.... But we are both canes so I'd buy you a beer at any tailgate. In the grand scheme of things, a college education is worth far more than any Fandom to most.

A million pardons, sir. Both my father and I do just fine. If we're ignorant asses, so be it. I wouldn't have it any other way. We both have college educations and earn good livings. But we didn't get our degrees at UF, a place that I'd rather be broke than support in any way, shape, or form. If you attended that institution, there's a good chance I don't like you. Just the way it is. Fandom aside, the majority (not all....the majority) of people there are arrogant pricks. I'm quite confident if you did have a beer with me, you wouldn't feel the way you portrayed in your post, but either way, certainly no offense taken. Fandom or not, I despise them. And I'm aware how ridiculous this sounds, "in the grand scheme of things", as you put it. It's not life and death...it's college football. But I can't change how I feel, and I want that entire program and everyone associated with it to crumble in misery.

You are exactly right. All my kids and my niece and nephew are on the prepaid Florida plan. Just because we went to a different institution for a degree makes us no less diehard cane than the rest. Money talks. The blowhards saying otherwise either have no college education or had a spoonfed life growing up in the wealthy 1%ers

Dumbass post is dumb.

Keep up the good work society needs it niche of idiots.

This thread has nothing to do with where you went to school, how wealthy you are, how much of a diehard Cane you are, etc. We've had a billion threads on this site about who is a bigger cane fan based off who went to what school, blah blah blah. This isn't a **** measuring contest. This was simply started ONLY to educate even 1 younger Cane fan about the history with the sheep****ers. If you went there, great. Couldn't be me, but knock yourself out. If you're on this board, chances are you're OK with me. And if you didn't go there, even better. But that has nothing to do with this thread.

This thread is to simply show the pure, rabid hatred that exists between the programs and to educate those who may not know it in detail. That's all. So **** them, and everyone they associate with. On 8/24, I want to bury their asses. And I want it violent and disrespectful.

A million pardons, sir. Both my father and I do just fine. If we're ignorant asses, so be it. I wouldn't have it any other way. We both have college educations and earn good livings. But we didn't get our degrees at UF, a place that I'd rather be broke than support in any way, shape, or form. If you attended that institution, there's a good chance I don't like you. Just the way it is. Fandom aside, the majority (not all....the majority) of people there are arrogant pricks. I'm quite confident if you did have a beer with me, you wouldn't feel the way you portrayed in your post, but either way, certainly no offense taken. Fandom or not, I despise them. And I'm aware how ridiculous this sounds, "in the grand scheme of things", as you put it. It's not life and death...it's college football. But I can't change how I feel, and I want that entire program and everyone associated with it to crumble in misery.

So am I safe to assume that both you and your father went to Miami?

Advertisement
This thread has nothing to do with where you went to school, how wealthy you are, how much of a diehard Cane you are, etc. We've had a billion threads on this site about who is a bigger cane fan based off who went to what school, blah blah blah. This isn't a **** measuring contest. This was simply started ONLY to educate even 1 younger Cane fan about the history with the sheep****ers. If you went there, great. Couldn't be me, but knock yourself out. If you're on this board, chances are you're OK with me. And if you didn't go there, even better. But that has nothing to do with this thread.

This thread is to simply show the pure, rabid hatred that exists between the programs and to educate those who may not know it in detail. That's all. So **** them, and everyone they associate with. On 8/24, I want to bury their asses. And I want it violent and disrespectful.

And I couldn't agree more

So am I safe to assume that both you and your father went to Miami?

No, sir. Like the probable majority of this board, we are both native South Floridians and grew up with a borderline psychotic affinity for University of Miami athletics. Where I went to school would have never and did not impact my passion for UM. We were not wealthy enough when I was a kid for me to attend UM. But that's what I meant by my last post. This thread has nothing to do with where you went to school. It has everything to do with how much Miami and UF hate each other, and how, for the real historians of the program, the gator is by far our most hated rival.

I just think that since we don't play often, sometimes that's lost, especially on the younger or more casual UM fans.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back