A few scrimmage nuggets

Advertisement
Advertisement
Drop rate is the most realistic statistic to determine a receiver’s hands. PPF tracks drops vs catchable passes. Dee Wiggins had the second highest drop rate for any receiver with 50 or more total targets at 16.2%. Mark Pope wasn’t far behind at fourth highest rate of 15.8%.

Other interesting drop rates for current players: Charleston Rambo dropped 13.8% of his catchable passes in 2020 but caught 42 of 43 catchable passes in 2019 so for his career he’s been reliable.

Will Mallory would have led the nation in drop rate in 2019 if he had enough targets to qualify. His 27.3% rate makes Pope look like Jerry Rice. But he improved to a very solid 8.3% in 2020.

Mike Harley only dropped one fewer pass than Pope and Wiggins (they both had 6) but was targeted a lot more and posted a good 8.1% rate.

Guys who get targeted the most will likely have a lot of drops but that doesn’t mean they have bad hands. Everyone drops one once in a while so large volume is going to equal more drops. That’s why the comparisons to star receivers with lots of drops is ridiculous.
I don't think Jeudy was targeted a lot last year.

Do you watch football by just looking at numbers or do you even trust your eyes? cot**** man.
We don't know how to develop WR's here, recently. How would you rate WR coaching this past decade? You acting like I said Pope and Wiggins are all-americans, I'm just saying I wouldn't call them trash based on drops when everybody drops passes.

Advertisement
We don't know how to develop WR's here, recently. How would you rate WR coaching this past decade? You acting like I said Pope and Wiggins are all-americans, I'm just saying I wouldn't call them trash based on drops when everybody drops passes.
they are trash based on drops because they drop way more passes than the average.

i am amazed i have to tell you this considering five others have done this already.

It’s also not just that our favorite receivers drop too many passes, it’s that they also struggled getting open and beating man coverage. The also fail to consistently win on contested balls. Pope in particular plays like he’s afraid of contact. I understand a slightly built guy not wanting to put his head down and take unnecessary hits but he plays like he’s scared of being tackled and that’s why he loses concentration and drops balls.

Advertisement
It’s also not just that our favorite receivers drop too many passes, it’s that they also struggled getting open and beating man coverage. The also fail to consistently win on contested balls. Pope in particular plays like he’s afraid of contact. I understand a slightly built guy not wanting to put his head down and take unnecessary hits but he plays like he’s scared of being tackled and that’s why he loses concentration and drops balls.
The great teams of our past used to say games were easy compared to practice. Seeing that hit Pope took in scrimmage, that may be the case for him this year.

The big problem with Pope and Wiggins imo is the fact their drops cost us our last game leading into what has felt like an eternal off season.

If either catches the last pass thrown to them in our last game the vitriol would likely be far less.
The other problem is that we were not at all surprised when they dropped those passes.

Advertisement
The big problem with Pope and Wiggins imo is the fact their drops cost us our last game leading into what has felt like an eternal off season.

If either catches the last pass thrown to them in our last game the vitriol would likely be far less.
Poor WR play, outside of Harley’s second half was a season long issue though. Yes, if those guys don’t have the crucial drops during the bowl game, we probably win and the hate is replaced by cautious optimism but the overall play needs a significant improvement.

He caught 33 passes?
Your dumb *** really wanna keep digging in that hole, huh? Nah you're not a troll, just challenged. I apologize for those harsh words, my mother has taught me better. You keep digging that hole, man. You will get there.

tenor - 2021-03-30T085839.733.gif

Advertisement
Back