A few scrimmage nuggets

Are you suggesting his numbers were still "improving" after the NC State game? Doesn't that ignore the fact Duke and UNC, games that happened after NC State, were two of his worst 5 performances of the season?

And lol @ anyone, anywhere arguing over whether Pope is an All American. That's about the craziest straw man ever constructed around these parts. If that was the argument, I might ask @RVACane to get your IP address out to the authorities to find you for a mental health examination under the Baker Act. Nobody is calling him an All American. Nobody is calling him All ACC. Nobody is calling him a draftable WR next draft. Most people aren't even calling him a "good WR" (though you are getting danger close with your "he was playing good stretch of football for us" comment). The "debate" is whether Pope even deserves to be a top 3 WR on this team next season (which, to be clear, the answer is no. Wiggins is worse, but Pope doesn't deserve it either).

As far as your completely unsupported, throw-away statement about what a 2nd leading WR is doing (numbers-wise) in college, below I post Pope's stats against the No. 2 leading WR in each ACC team (along with how many games they played). Clemson, NC State, UNC, UL, and Pitt's No. 2 WRs all blow Pope's season out of the water. When you consider VT's No. 2 WR wins every statistical category in 1 fewer game, I think that's a clear win for VT's No. 2 WR. Similar story with Wake's No. 2 WR, and to a lesser extent UVA's No. 2 WR. Even GT's No. 2 WR's stats are essentially a wash with Pope if extrapolated over 11 games (though he'd whip Pope in TDs and have more yards). The only No. 2 WRs in the ACC Pope is arguably ahead of based on last season's numbers are Syracuse and Duke's. And we already know Pope and Wiggins were the two worst WRs in the ACC for drop rate last season, giving Pope the worst drop rate of any of these WRs. End of the day, he was statistically among the worst No. 2 WRs in the ACC last season (easily bottom third, likely worse).

Here's Pope again (in 11 games):

Louisville's 2nd leading WR (going by yards, this is Atwell in 9 games... Fitzpatrick's numbers are about double Pope's yards and more catches and TDs, too):

UVA's 2nd WR (still going by yards... in 10 games):

VT's 2nd WR (in 10 games):

GT's 2nd WR (in 7 games):

Duke's 2nd WR (in 11 games):

BC's 2nd WR (in 10 games):

NC State's 2nd WR (in 11 games):

Clemson's 2nd WR (in 11 games):

UNC's 2nd WR (in 12 games):

FSU's 2nd WR (Terry... keeping in mind FSU only played 9 games, but Terry only played 5 games):

Syracuse's 2nd WR (in 11 games):

Wake Forest's 2nd WR (in 8 games):

ND's 2nd WR (in 9 games):

Pitt's 2nd WR (in 11 games):

Sorry but there isn't a huge difference in most of these stats. Like I said, he had too many drops. Without them the gap would be even smaller.

He was ok and getting better then had a horrific bowl game. Hopefully if he gets a shot in the slot he can finally put it together this season.

Shrug.

Advertisement
Sorry but there isn't a huge difference in most of these stats. Like I said, he had too many drops. Without them the gap would be even smaller.

He was ok and getting better then had a horrific bowl game. Hopefully if he gets a shot in the slot he can finally put it together this season.

Shrug.

Well, I tried....

1617055920322.png

Yes.
Two years on the bench at Baga. Transfer to UM. Be handed the starting job last season. Suck balls for the year.
Virtually the same result.
I remember when fans wanted to run off Gus Edwards and Lawrence Cager because they were too soft, good times!

Advertisement
Thats exactly what I was saying , straight line speed doesn’t mean you play fast. I was told this last year ( by somebody different ) and kept it off the board.
Seen some of the fastest wr I played with in hs and college never get open. Usually for two reasons
1. Don’t know the playbook -or-
2. Haven’t learned /can’t execute route mechanics.

from watching his tape it looks/sounds like it’s a combination of the two. Route running didn’t look great

Advertisement
I'm not satisfied or having fun till I watch this season. My excitement is all the way low waiting for the collapse. I'm in show me mode and week one will be brutal. After the Diaz hire I always said this game vs bama is the death of the program.
I feel you bro but I think you're going a bit overboard. Bama may drill us but I don't think that one game is going to define this season or the program. I can understand why you feel that way though.

I already know what is going to **** me off about this game. We're going to roll up our sleeves, get in our phone booth offense and try to establish the run. We will continue to try to establish the run until we are down 38-10. Then we will start throwing it all over the place and score 3 TDs a little too late and Baga "holds on" 45-31.

Last edited:
I feel you bro but I think you're going a bit overboard. Bama may drill us but I don't think that one game is going to define this season or the program. I can understand why you feel that way though.

I already know what is going to **** me off about this game. We're going to roll up our sleeves, get in our phone booth offense and try to establish the run. We will continue to try to establish the run until we are down 38-10. Then we will start throwing it all over the place and score 3 TDs a little too late and Baga "holds on" 45-31.
I'll take that loss I don't want us blown out but I have it 39-13 Alabama. They will run for plus 150 if Trey Sanders is starting that will be his hello America game.

Advertisement
Ah, you're one of those trolls. Not even a slurp mope or straddling the fence. Just an obvious
thundercunt of a troll.. so... View attachment 145094

First off, I don't live in my mother's basement. But I sure as **** helped her remodel her basement with her Midwestern flooding problems and spent a pretty penny doing so and with that CDL job that wouldn't have been possible so suck my unit and **** you very much, try another 2nd grade insult, ***cboy.
Secondly... oh blame King for the bad throws.... you dumb fück. What QB doesn't have a bad throw? But since you bought it up... what's a QBs main objective? GET THE BALL TO THE WR. And them balls got to them no matter how they looked and they dropped it. Ball hit em in the hands, they dropped it but it's King's fault? Are you ******* serious?

Ah and football is too serious for me. If it is, I should have a podcast-oh wait, me making my $$$ and taking care of my family seems to be more important than that, so again. FAIL.

Don't @ me no more. I ain't one of these CIS rooks, son. So you can take your little troll slurp, corny *** insults and your stupid little arguments somewhere to the kiddie table, son. Fück you very much and have a very blessed day and God bless, slapnuts.
I love this man

I'll take that loss I don't want us blown out but I have it 39-13 Alabama. They will run for plus 150 if Trey Sanders is starting that will be his hello America game.
Sanders isn't even practicing with the RBs yet. Still working on the side, working to come back. Wouldn't worry there. He's at leat 4th in line right now

Advertisement
Drop rate is the most realistic statistic to determine a receiver’s hands. PPF tracks drops vs catchable passes. Dee Wiggins had the second highest drop rate for any receiver with 50 or more total targets at 16.2%. Mark Pope wasn’t far behind at fourth highest rate of 15.8%.

Other interesting drop rates for current players: Charleston Rambo dropped 13.8% of his catchable passes in 2020 but caught 42 of 43 catchable passes in 2019 so for his career he’s been reliable.

Will Mallory would have led the nation in drop rate in 2019 if he had enough targets to qualify. His 27.3% rate makes Pope look like Jerry Rice. But he improved to a very solid 8.3% in 2020.

Mike Harley only dropped one fewer pass than Pope and Wiggins (they both had 6) but was targeted a lot more and posted a good 8.1% rate.

Guys who get targeted the most will likely have a lot of drops but that doesn’t mean they have bad hands. Everyone drops one once in a while so large volume is going to equal more drops. That’s why the comparisons to star receivers with lots of drops is ridiculous.

Advertisement
Back