A few scrimmage nuggets

Pope had way too many drops but some on this board have a “You’re only as good as the last thing I remember “ mindset.

Before the bowl game he was playing good stretch of football for us.
What? At no point has he ever had a good stretch , he dropped balls all year. An unreal amount , 22 % of his targets were drops. That didn’t just happen in the bowl game lol. If you’re comparing to Pope to Pope of previous years he improved. But he was still bad.

Advertisement
Pope is an exceptional athlete.

Pope is not a football player.

With that said, you can make a great athlete useful in college if used correctly. He will never live up to the five star rating bc you need to be a football player to be great.

He can be useful tho. Just have to use him right. I would be interested to see the distance of yards traveled on his dropped passes.

With that said, you can make a great athlete useful in college if used correctly. He will never live up to the five star rating bc you need to be a football player to be great.

He can be useful tho. Just have to use him right. I would be interested to see the distance of yards traveled on his dropped passes.
I don't think he is an exceptional athlete.

In what way is he an exceptional athlete.

Advertisement
What? At no point has he ever had a good stretch , he dropped balls all year. An unreal amount , 22 % of his targets were drops. That didn’t just happen in the bowl game lol. If you’re comparing to Pope to Pope of previous years he improved. But he was still bad.

I was comparing Pope to Pope. He was averaging 5 for 65 more or less going into UNC. Had longs of 38, 39 and 36 with a couple of TD.

Thought he was improving before the wheels came off again at OK St.

That's assumption. We don't let our WR's get into a rhythm here, which has been part of the problem too.
Thats not an assumption, thats a fact.

Popes and Wiggins' drops are not a result of a lack of rhythm. They just lack hands/focus/mental capacity, whatever the case might be. When they drop screen passes, it has nothing to do with hands. Most of the time they take their eyes off the ball, because they want to see if someone hits them.

I dont even want to count the yards and receptions 6 and 8 left on the field.

If they had average drop numbers even, we wouldnt talk about young guys needing to replace them.

That's assumption. We don't let our WR's get into a rhythm here, which has been part of the problem too.
Yea and Pope would've dropped that rhythm, too.

Film doesn't lie, but y'all still will justify and try to come up with the most cLeVeR aRgUmEnT to try to support your argument. That **** never cease to amaze me.
Your handle says win but obviously with this capping for Mark Dope and Pee Wiggles shows me otherwise. Yes, Mark Dope and Pee Wiggles. Their names until proven otherwise and do their best impression of Mike Harley.

I hope they run out around but they haven't shown us anything to prove us otherwise.

Advertisement
Anyone could have put up Pope's numbers last year. He's replacement level. Give Marshall Few or apfenny all of those looks and they put up those numbers, too...they probably wouldn't drop over 20% of the balls thrown their way, either. That's a ridiculous number of drops.
Exactly. When you drop that many passes you’re useless. Just like a qb throwing for tons of yards but throws 3 ints. I don’t fault the kids , it’s the coaches rolling them out every week. At some point you’re making a joke out of the kids and making the staff look even sillier. We had two guys leading the acc in drops by a good margin.

Pope was Class of 2018. Let that sink in. He's going into his 4th year in the program, and we're still hoping, wishing and guessing whether he can be trusted when the ball is thrown his way. And he muffs punts so you can't put him on STs.

As said above, he's just not a football player. He's had ample chances when we had little competition in the WR room and still couldn't get it done.

I wouldn't be cold-blooded enough to push him out, but I wouldn't stop him from moving on. Think for his own good, maybe a change a scenery will be best for him and Wiggins to be honest.

Just too many other young guys we can't afford to lose while trying to wait for the light to come on for these two guys. Payton - probably one foot out the door, Redding, Worsham, Smith, Restrespo plus Brinson, George and Brashard.

Yea and Pope would've dropped that rhythm, too.

Film doesn't lie, but y'all still will justify and try to come up with the most cLeVeR aRgUmEnT to try to support your argument. That **** never cease to amaze me.
Your handle says win but obviously with this capping for Mark Dope and Pee Wiggles shows me otherwise. Yes, Mark Dope and Pee Wiggles. Their names until proven otherwise and do their best impression of Mike Harley.

I hope they run out around but they haven't shown us anything to prove us otherwise.
What I don't like is how y'all blamed the WR's but didn't blame King ONCE for all the bad throws. Keep it fair... and y'all hate the players instead of hating the corches for putting them on the field!

What I don't like is how y'all blamed the WR's but didn't blame King ONCE for all the bad throws. Keep it fair... and y'all hate the players instead of hating the corches for putting them on the field!
uhm, king performed well. in fact he performed so well, we went from scoring no points against la tech to scoring a lot of points.

and we dont "hate" the players pope and wiggins. they just suck, thats not hate, thats a fact lol

Advertisement

We saw some four wide last year. With his air raid schooling under Dykes and a full offseason, he will install more. I think King can handle it too, but with more trips. I wish we would mix up the pace instead of near 100% hurry up so we can switch between 10, 11, and 20 personnel in the same drive.

I am a huge advocate of designing and deploying plays based on the receiver skill set. If a certain guy runs a certain route well, put him in. I think this is more important than who starts and who knows all the plays. This gets us playing less productive guys in roles that don’t suit them.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Poe on the outside to Berrios in the slot. Berrios didn’t get open much before 2017. I blame Richt for most of that though because if Richt designed the passing game better, I think Berrios and Brad would have had a great connection on short and intermediate routes. Brad was a pure 3 step passer Richt forced to hold the ball way too long.

Let Pope compete and the chips fall where they fall. The thing is, don’t be so stuck on who knows every play. **** if King gotta huddle and tell guys what route to run, do it. GET THE PLAYMAKERS ON THE FIELD TO MAKE PLAYS.
Yeah I feel like breakneck tempo is like playing with 1 hand tied behind your back at times. You don't need tempo the first few plays of a drive when you're trying to get in a rhythm. And if tempo isn't helping your run game then what's the use? Playing fast just to throw 1on1 9 routes to the outside and go 3&out in a blink is stupid.

The great teams like Brady Patriots or Bama/LSU of recent years use tempo as a situational tool. And yeah it's not uncommon to have an experienced QB run the offense on his own at the line. It certainly happens in the NFL a ton, and Trey Lance had a ton of autonomy as a rFr at NDSU.

uhm, king performed well. in fact he performed so well, we went from scoring no points against la tech to scoring a lot of points.

and we dont "hate" the players pope and wiggins. they just suck, thats not hate, thats a fact lol
Dude is a troll. Maudes should forcefully change his handle from win to loser. He over here with his bull**** arguments of MaYbE iT wAs KiNg ThAt Is WhY PoPe AnD wIgGiNs DrOpPeD bAlLs....

His *** sounds like Cal Naughton Jr... I don't wanna win... man FOH ppl like that on this board really **** me TF off. I don't care give me an infraction, @WIN is as dumb as a bag 9f ******* rocks and makes as much sense as a left handed football bat with this argument

In what way is he an exceptional athlete.
You dont think Pope is athletic?

His speed and quickness is very likely in the top half of D1. He's a track guy.

I think Pope is athletic. That is what made him a 5 star.

Now before I get more people jumping on me. Dont forget the fact that I said he is not a football player. Hands suck, small frame, mentally soft, lacks aggression, etc.

But don't think it's fair to say he is not a very good athlete.

Advertisement
Dude is a troll. Maudes should forcefully change his handle from win to loser. He over here with his bull**** arguments of MaYbE iT wAs KiNg ThAt Is WhY PoPe AnD wIgGiNs DrOpPeD bAlLs....

His *** sounds like Cal Naughton Jr... I don't wanna win... man FOH ppl like that on this board really **** me TF off. I don't care give me an infraction, @WIN is as dumb as a bag 9f ******* rocks and makes as much sense as a left handed football bat with this argument
No fans likes you aren't needed, obviously football is too serious for you! So everybody should have the same opinion as you?? Sounds like you don't have a life outside of Canes football, relax bud basement can't be that hot today. King threw bad passes AND WR's dropped passes, BOTH are true! So bash the WR's AND King!

Oh so just because our offense is better than our offense was in a meaningless bowl game where the players quit on Enos, means are offense was great? Not sure if you know but it doesn't take much to have a better offense than Enos, so that shouldn't be the standard.

Advertisement
Back