A few scrimmage nuggets

Advertisement
You won't hear about Wiggins or pope catching covid since they dropped that attempt on numerous occasions. Harley doesn't get a pass either as all wr positions should be up for grabs. If not this staff is trash.

Well, watch the tape then if you dont think King holds the ball too long.

And if you dont buy that argument, apparently you are not buying what Lashlee sees on tape
Lol That is correct, I don’t hold too much water to what coaches say to the media. QB’s, and rightfully so, will take the blame for many things going poorly with the Offense because that is expected from a leader.

Remember when Williams was blamed for all those sacks against Florida? I guess the rest of the year was just a coincidence..

If a nfl player who is better and has more time to work on his game has 14 drops, how is a college player with less than half that amount trash?
Pope is trash. No sense in trying to justify it in some weird *** way. Not sure if Wiggins and pope along with Diaz got together at the little white chapel in vegas but that group needs to be broke up by any means.

Advertisement
Pope is trash. No sense in trying to justify it in some weird *** way. Not sure if Wiggins and pope along with Diaz got together at the little white chapel in vegas but that group needs to be broke up by any means.
Trash because of drops right? Pope and Wiggins combined for 12 total drops together for the year, meanwhile Juedy had 14 and Tyreek Hill had 11 by themselves.

Berrios was a very polished route runner in 2017. And he caught the ball. I watched the ND game recently and Berrios' TD route was a thing of beauty with stairstep release footwork to leverage outside then an explosive break toward the sideline. That's teaching tape stuff. Pope is nowhere near that caliber of route runner. X and Brashard are shiftier, stronger dudes and better route runners imo.

The problem with the 4-wide theory is the offense hasn't been designed to be built off the pass game. Lashlee is running a tempo spread with a foundation of zone read/DUO and simple, limited pass concepts that leverage off that (RPO slant/glance, screens/leak routes, verts). Trading a TE for a WR hurts run blocking and takes away the leak/rail routes that were effective against Ds that overcommitted to the run.

If TVD or Garcia are at QB then it's a different story and the pass game needs to open up. Until then I'd like to see WRs in roles that suit them. Use Redding in the redzone not on jailbreak screens. Use Brashard or X on crossers not 9 routes. Let Rambo run the 9 routes but save the in-breakers for Smith or Brinson. Etc. I'm afraid we're just gonna run a bunch of 9 routes with Rambo, Harley and maybe Pope getting most of the snaps and it will be a feast or famine (mostly famine) pass game.

We saw some four wide last year. With his air raid schooling under Dykes and a full offseason, he will install more. I think King can handle it too, but with more trips. I wish we would mix up the pace instead of near 100% hurry up so we can switch between 10, 11, and 20 personnel in the same drive.

I am a huge advocate of designing and deploying plays based on the receiver skill set. If a certain guy runs a certain route well, put him in. I think this is more important than who starts and who knows all the plays. This gets us playing less productive guys in roles that don’t suit them.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare Poe on the outside to Berrios in the slot. Berrios didn’t get open much before 2017. I blame Richt for most of that though because if Richt designed the passing game better, I think Berrios and Brad would have had a great connection on short and intermediate routes. Brad was a pure 3 step passer Richt forced to hold the ball way too long.

Let Pope compete and the chips fall where they fall. The thing is, don’t be so stuck on who knows every play. **** if King gotta huddle and tell guys what route to run, do it. GET THE PLAYMAKERS ON THE FIELD TO MAKE PLAYS.

Advertisement
Lol That is correct, I don’t hold too much water to what coaches say to the media. QB’s, and rightfully so, will take the blame for many things going poorly with the Offense because that is expected from a leader.

Remember when Williams was blamed for all those sacks against Florida? I guess the rest of the year was just a coincidence..
i would suggest you stop using sacks as a metric for an o line performing poorly. cause sacks are a qb stat.

williams took a lot of negative plays that counted as sacks because he didnt throw the ball away. that was the main point against him right from the get go.

miami is good in pass protection. they are **** in run blocking.

saying how garbage this unit apparently is doesnt make much sense to me considering the offensive performance the team put up (and left on the field considering the dropped passes we had)

1. Jeudy plays in the NFL. Pope plays in the ACC. 2. Jeudy got targeted over 110 times. I dont even need to look up Popes number, it was far less.

Thats two big differences right there.
So one could argue that Pope needed more targets too right? Who had better passes thrown to them?

Tyreek Hill got targeted 135 times last season.

Its proven that drop numbers go up with targets. Wiggins and Pope led the nation in drop percentage.

Advertisement
Jerry Juedy had 14 drops last year.
Mark Pope had 6 drops last year.

Does this mean Juedy is trash? Just asking for the difference

Out of how many targets or catchable balls?

Meaningless statistics otherwise. Honestly, do you think we’re dumb?

Here’s one back at you: how many snaps did each play, how many games do they they play in college vs how many games they play in the pros.

Your stat is totally out of context and meaningless without that additional data.

No, if you would target Pope more, he would drop more passes.

If Pope would be targeted at the amount of times Jeudy was targeted, he would break records for drops.
That's assumption. We don't let our WR's get into a rhythm here, which has been part of the problem too.

Advertisement
Out of how many targets or catchable balls?

Meaningless statistics otherwise. Honestly, do you think we’re dumb?

Here’s one back at you: how many snaps did each play, how many games do they they play in college vs how many games they play in the pros.

Your stat is totally out of context without that additional data.
Point is, Cane fans believe WR's shouldn't have any drops and if you do your trash. It's hard to get into a rhythm when you only get targeted 10 times in 3 games. Plus when you have 5 steps on the DB and your QB under throws every pass, makes it tougher.

Cribby, I trust your info . . . but how can anyone be that loyal? It's one thing if a coach is setting up a player to win the job or giving someone every opportunity to succeed (even to the detriment of others). But we were still trotting these guys out at the end of the year when it was clear that neither really had it in him. It's like the old saying about leading a horse to water. At some point, the coach has to tell the guy, "hey, I gave you every opportunity but I can't support this any longer."

Personally, I just don't think any of the freshmen were ready to supplant either #6 or #8 and we just didn't have much of a choice. A covid-shortened camp certainly didn't help the freshmen WR.

By making expectations for the freshmen too high. Yeah Pope and Wiggins know the playbook inside out, but they came up small in too many big moments on game day. It pains me to write this because I caped HARD for Harley, Pope, and Wiggins last offseason. Only Harley stepped up.

I don’t think it’s a problem that Pope and Wiggins played or even started. The problem is they got way too many reps when they were struggling. You don’t want to yank a guy for a mistake and destroy his confidence. You also don’t want to leave him out there struggling too long either. That kills confidence just as fast. Not only that, but you turn the fan base against their own players and they have to deal with that mental obstacle too.

We did the same **** to Malik and destroyed a ballsy gunslinger. They didn’t need to be permanently benched, especially with the Covid issues, but the young guys who were available needed a lot more snaps when Pope and Wiggins were not producing.

Advertisement
Back