A few scrimmage nuggets

i think frierson was also rumored to leave, obv thats not happening anymore

i would assume guys like austin-cave and miller, whom someone mentioned earlier. but thats just my guess

edit: matocha also came to mind. tvd and garcia appear to be ahead of him rn and jacurri comes in too.

Advertisement
I’d guess keontra smith. Going into third year stuck behind frierson again. Dude is too good to not be playing.
Would be a shame. Either Frierson or Smith would be an upgrade at ANY linebacker spot by default.

Advertisement
I feel like we have a logjam at the Striker position. We've got Frierson, Smith and Chase at that spot.
That's too much athleticism sitting the bench. Move Smith to Linebacker yesterday and train Chase to takeover for Frierson next season. That's get more overall explosiveness on the field.
Smith is big enough to play LB in today's game and he's a nasty fvcker.

It’s worked before....

**** I stopped by the WEZ the other day and they have a 20 page thread on Billie Eilish for ***** sake... If I posted 15-0 in that thread I may have been murdered.
It might have been appropriate in their 20 page thread on the fleshlight.

The issue is fans think guys are amazing until proven otherwise. That mindset means they'll always prefer the untested to the proven, because few players prove to be what fans hope.

Coaches, meanwhile, have almost the opposite view. A kid is unproven until he proves something. We see the failings of some guys on the team. Coaches also see what they've done (game time and practice), what they know, how serious and hard they prepare, and the lack of all that by others.

I'm not defending all their personnel decisions, but the monotonous repetition of this discussion for most of 2 decades tells you it's not about one staff or their behavior. What it's about is we haven't recruited enough underclassmen who can legitimately take food from the plate of juniors and seniors. The NFL draft ends up confirming this, as our talent pipeline has dried up a ton. Fans think every promising recruit is the next ____. Well, they haven't been, not for a long time around UM.'
This pretty much sums up the entire discussion. I could not agree more.

Advertisement
I was going to post a thread but f it lol.

Keep an eye out for some transfers post spring. Not just bench guys , I could see guys who doesn’t expect to win position battles bouncing. There’s a handful , one was rumored last year , but decided to stay.

Miller.

I feel like we have a logjam at the Striker position. We've got Frierson, Smith and Chase at that spot.
That's too much athleticism sitting the bench. Move Smith to Linebacker yesterday and train Chase to takeover for Frierson next season. That's get more overall explosiveness on the field.
You forgot Huff is there too.

too logical

Advertisement
How does Borregales look? Man we got so spoiled last year.
Made his only attempt from 40ish. Obviously no way to tell with a kicker until the lights go on. I wonder if he does the same routine his brother does. I forget which game but one of the reporters interviewed him about it, the steps he takes, how he counts, shoulders back, says he does it every time because it is such an in depth routine it just helps keep him in rhythm and blocks everything else out, no different from kick A to kick B.

Facts. Darius Leonard is one of the best LBS in the NFL up there with Davonte David, Kevin White and Devin Bush.
Leonard weighs 215 pounds at LB.
Smith can play LB. We are still stuck on the prototypical look for a LB not realizing these young men are getting smaller at LB but stronger and faster at the same time. ****, both Smiths can play LB.

Advertisement
too logical
Exactly. And I hate to keep bringing up a Coach Spo term that he used during the Big 3 era down here but we need to go "positionless" in that back 7...Like Coach Macho said, WAY too much talent just sitting the bench waiting their turn. Its a no brainer to have Frierson and KSmith on the field together at this point..

More kids will transfer out in the future due to the logjam at Striker and Safety if Manny and crew dont find a way to get your best players in that back 7 on the field.

When we are recruiting at the level we should be on an annual basis and stacking the type of talent we need in order to get back to the upper echelon, every single position should have pressure to perform. Every single starter should know that the guy behind him is just as talented if not more, and they can be replaced if/when needed without a single ounce of dropoff in performance.

No one's spot is locked. There should be no such thing. We don't have the time to wait for 3rd and 4th year guys who are not linemen to put it together. That **** is for lower tier teams. Again, unless you are a lineman, if you are not a heavy contributor by Year 3, then you've got a decision to make - either embrace your role as a serviceable backup with the hope you may get an opportunity to start or move on to greener pastures. Because if we are recruiting like we should every year, by your Year 3 we've got at least two other younger guys at your position who should be talented enough to play immediately.

My point is - For far too many years now, we've had to stick with certain players at certain positions because it was the best we could do despite their obvious limitations. That should not be our situation going forward.

We should expect to lose a few underperforming upperclassmen every year. It's the nature of the beast. Because otherwise, we are holding onto those guys too long at the expense of talented young players who simply will not wait long.

Advertisement
Back