A few scrimmage nuggets

Advertisement
This is what confuses me, it makes no sense that Manny would overrule the position coach and OC particularly for a side of the ball that is not his specialty when they played so poorly, but... people who clearly have legit connections on this board are saying that is the case. Assuming that those connections are not giving biased information and Manny is doing this, why? Does he think it will help with recruiting b/c of connections? They show up in practice and he wants to keep giving them chances b/c he thinks they will break through? He just likes them better?

Maybe I missed it, but I don't believe I have ever seen the reason as to why he favors them.
Manny is very close with the south ridge kids. As well as others on staff. You might want to hear a school recruiting against UM, for as long as I can remember it’s been “
They play favorites to the home town kids , you won’t get a fair shot being oos”. That goes back yo the Arthur Brown days or further lol. Not saying it’s always true but it has happened.

I think it’s obvious why 6 and 8 played so much especially Pope. We’ve lost so many talented guys to Bama, Manny was like look we have to give pope every opportunity to develop into a star to show the younger kids they can come here and be great. They forced fed him the ball so they could go to the Brandon Innis’ of the world and say see you don’t have to leave. Unfortunately, 6 “dropped” his opportunities away. The silver lining in this though is that Harley can be the guy they wanted Pope to be. Homegrown kid developed into the all time leading receiver, 1st team All conference player.

I have no inside information like you but if I was the coach that would be my logic. This year is the Harley/Mallory show rotate at other spots to see who steps up.
Yes sir.

People here at like coaches are perfect and don’t have emotions involved. But who’s to say they haven’t learned from previous mistakes. Manny has known some of these kids since they were in middle school or Jr high. He’s a loyal dude. To a fault.

I've seen this topic come up a few times, particularly in regards to Pope. I'm not suggesting it's impossible, but wouldn't you agree that the idea that better, talented players are on the bench because Pope/Wiggins (or whoever the case may be) is someone's favorite is very . . . conspiratorial? I mean, we had a 1st time OC and WR coach with fresh eyes from the prior staff and those guys (#6/#8) still got snaps.
No

Lmao.

Your plan, in a season of that had an unprecedented loss of practice time, is to move by far your most productive receiver to a new position in order to insert two true freshmen?? Not even gonna get into who had Covid and when.

Can you imagine any other successful team in America doing anything like this?

Jfc come on. This place is turning your brain to mush.

The best part of your preposterous suggestion is you’ll go back to a slurper neme and make it about “defending the coaches “
That’s all you do is slurp and shill. You can’t objectively defend Wiggins and Pope both continuing to start over Key Smith and you know it. Now you’re arguing contrary to the Cribster, who undoubtedly knows more than you and me about what transpired, but my brain’s mush? How about you’re 96.5% unable to be objective?

Advertisement
6EE4B2E5-C223-4533-BE0A-C5309D281CF7.gif

Lmao.

Your plan, in a season of that had an unprecedented loss of practice time, is to move by far your most productive receiver to a new position in order to insert two true freshmen?? Not even gonna get into who had Covid and when.

Can you imagine any other successful team in America doing anything like this?

Jfc come on. This place is turning your brain to mush.

The best part of your preposterous suggestion is you’ll go back to a slurper neme and make it about “defending the coaches “
This is a perfect example of why we need a slurp emoji.

Yes sir.

People here at like coaches are perfect and don’t have emotions involved. But who’s to say they haven’t learned from previous mistakes. Manny has known some of these kids since they were in middle school or Jr high. He’s a loyal dude. To a fault.
Exactly. I actually believe this is going to change this year because I think he sees it’s a one way ticket out - or at least I hope that’s the case. But “some people” on here will literally search for the proverbial needle excuse in the haystack to avoid harming a hair on Manny’s chinny chin chin.

Advertisement
We sit here and debate this one or that one, but who knows how missing spring practice and possible covid issues came into play. All I know is that if I see a sht ton of dropped passes this year from the same old cast of characters, I'd better see every other receiver walking around on crutches because the only excuse.

fwiw bigger guys look slow even when they're running fast.

also fwiw I dogged you for being an undying JT4 truther and seeing his 2017 tape again was eye-opening. I forgot how good he was. Speed, sudden route breaks, ball tracking and ball skills, run after catch. I checked out his twitter and he's talking like he gets it now so we'll see if he can get back on track.
Jt was a special athlete and could go up and make the spectacular catches our wrs missed last year easily. He screwed himself not coming back his senior year and it’s a shame

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yes sir.

Cribby, I trust your info . . . but how can anyone be that loyal? It's one thing if a coach is setting up a player to win the job or giving someone every opportunity to succeed (even to the detriment of others). But we were still trotting these guys out at the end of the year when it was clear that neither really had it in him. It's like the old saying about leading a horse to water. At some point, the coach has to tell the guy, "hey, I gave you every opportunity but I can't support this any longer."

Personally, I just don't think any of the freshmen were ready to supplant either #6 or #8 and we just didn't have much of a choice. A covid-shortened camp certainly didn't help the freshmen WR.

Yes sir.

It’s a double edged sword. People always want what they haven’t seen until they realize there’s a reason they haven’t seen it lol. Everyone wanted Pope to get more opportunities before last year and the coaches did just that.

Not saying this kid is like Pope but I see the same stuff about from fans about how we need Huff to get more snaps. I’ve been around coaches that can’t see the talent they have and opt for older guys but there’s no hiding a dominant player in practice with the amount of film these guys watch.

The hope is that at positions where the starters were terrible last year like WR and LB coaches give equal opportunity to everybody until a few dudes step up and take the jobs. But if we’ve got juniors and seniors that are even close to the freshman and sophomores IMO play the younger guys.

Manny is very close with the south ridge kids. As well as others on staff. You might want to hear a school recruiting against UM, for as long as I can remember it’s been “
They play favorites to the home town kids , you won’t get a fair shot being oos”. That goes back yo the Arthur Brown days or further lol. Not saying it’s always true but it has happened.
It's actually hard to avoid playing favorites when you're losing, IMO.

When you're winning, you can solve all things for winning. When you're not, you start to lose focus. Morale, next year's recruiting class, local chatter, all these things start to pop up as noise.

Advertisement
It’s a double edged sword. People always want what they haven’t seen until they realize there’s a reason they haven’t seen it lol. Everyone wanted Pope to get more opportunities before last year and the coaches did just that.

Not saying this kid is like Pope but I see the same stuff about from fans about how we need Huff to get more snaps. I’ve been around coaches that can’t see the talent they have and opt for older guys but there’s no hiding a dominant player in practice with the amount of film these guys watch.

The hope is that at positions where the starters were terrible last year like WR and LB coaches give equal opportunity to everybody until a few dudes step up and take the jobs. But if we’ve got juniors and seniors that are even close to the freshman and sophomores IMO play the younger guys.
I get playing Pope and Wiggins when people asked for it just like Restrepo and Key Smith now. If the older guys aren’t great, we might as well see what we got and develop after that. But when they are the older guys and not getting it done then they too become subject to the same calls for their replacement.

Lol. Dennis “Go Canes!!” Fung is running around upvoting posters who are guessing and asking how there could be favoritism yet ignoring what @Cribby is saying when we all know that the Cribster is the truth.
Fung was never this big of a coach leg humper before. I think he found a niche where he’s getting more attention than he’s ever mustered.

It’s like the wrestler who struggles for 10 years bouncing around from bad gimmick to bad gimmick then hits it big suddenly. Reminds me of Big Scott Hall and his nondescript baby face run for many years. Then, he becomes Razor Ramon and the rest is history.

This Manure felching angle for Fung is his Razor Ramon. Fung went from Big Scott Hall to white hot right now.

Advertisement
Back