A few scrimmage nuggets

Advertisement
If you only knew who was one of the folks I got that info from, you’d feel real dumb, it’s funny you run it defending a player not doing **** but just say X is a “ green tree all American”, and he’s actually one of the better wr’s. Then again you slurped and defended Pope for three years even though he was terrible. You go get in your feels when people speak the truth about him.

I don’t have favorites , I just post what i’m told, sorry you don’t understand playing slow vs running 40 yards on a track. Btw, D money was there , I don’t see him disagreeing.
I was going to say your info is based on fact not feeling.

I see what you mean. Personally, I don’t want Pope starting anywhere.

But I think back to Berrios. He never showed his track speed or elusiveness before 2017. He caught punts well, but never looked dynamic. We squandered him on the outside and he was a ghost. Most on here maligned him as a bust. Moved him inside and he became a legend.

I think Pope has the same potential and he would settle down and show things we haven’t seen in the slot. The problem is the slot is crowded with Harley, Restrepo emerging, and Smith having elite potential.

But there is an easy solution: Run more 4 wide receiver sets. It will keep Mallory healthy and let us ease in the young tight ends. You get more opportunities for everybody to prove themselves on the field if they earned the reps in practice.

The thing is, it’s time to shorten the leashes and pull guys who aren’t performing well, even if it is only for a series or 2 to settle them down.
Berrios was a very polished route runner in 2017. And he caught the ball. I watched the ND game recently and Berrios' TD route was a thing of beauty with stairstep release footwork to leverage outside then an explosive break toward the sideline. That's teaching tape stuff. Pope is nowhere near that caliber of route runner. X and Brashard are shiftier, stronger dudes and better route runners imo.

The problem with the 4-wide theory is the offense hasn't been designed to be built off the pass game. Lashlee is running a tempo spread with a foundation of zone read/DUO and simple, limited pass concepts that leverage off that (RPO slant/glance, screens/leak routes, verts). Trading a TE for a WR hurts run blocking and takes away the leak/rail routes that were effective against Ds that overcommitted to the run.

If TVD or Garcia are at QB then it's a different story and the pass game needs to open up. Until then I'd like to see WRs in roles that suit them. Use Redding in the redzone not on jailbreak screens. Use Brashard or X on crossers not 9 routes. Let Rambo run the 9 routes but save the in-breakers for Smith or Brinson. Etc. I'm afraid we're just gonna run a bunch of 9 routes with Rambo, Harley and maybe Pope getting most of the snaps and it will be a feast or famine (mostly famine) pass game.

Correct.

Pope is called noodles , Harley has been a stick for 3-4 years yet played , Wiggins has looked super skinny.
Some of these dudes (we know who) are always trying to defend and explain things away in favor of the HC at the expense of the truth and the players.

God forbid they have to admit that there’s been some issues with favoritism in the past.

Advertisement
Some of these dudes (we know who) are always trying to defend and explain things away in favor of the HC at the expense of the truth and the players.

So you’re saying Restrepo should have started? Where? In place of Harley or out wide?

Payton showed you enough?

How about Redding after what you just read?

Smith who missed 30 spring and fall practices as a true frost and had Covid?

Who was your stud being left on the bench to rot?

If you only knew who was one of the folks I got that info from, you’d feel real dumb, it’s funny you run it defending a player not doing **** but just say X is a “ green tree all American”, and he’s actually one of the better wr’s. Then again you slurped and defended Pope for three years even though he was terrible. You go get in your feels when people speak the truth about him.

I don’t have favorites , I just post what i’m told, sorry you don’t understand playing slow vs running 40 yards on a track. Btw, D money was there , I don’t see him disagreeing.
Get out your feelings, it ain’t that deep my boy. There’s no way you can be slow if you running a verified 4.54 40. Literally impossible,can he run his routes better and more efficiently? Of course, obviously needs work there, been that way since highschool. And ain’t nobody defending anything other than the claim of him being “slow”. Plus I aint Mentioned pope in months, i don’t even post on here like that anymore chill out lol.

I dont have Nothing against restrepo so go ahead and stop that agenda lol. Go back and look at my posts about him, he’ can play and did very well going against the top competition in south Florida

Last edited:
How come Matocha didn't get any reps? I thought he was at least competing. I presume he was out?

You mean the 2 star we stole from an FBS school and chose us over walking on at Texas A&M that was handpicked by Dan Enos?

Feel free to delete him from seriously factoring into the QB competition.

Advertisement
So you’re saying Restrepo should have started? Where? In place of Harley or out wide?

Payton showed you enough?

How about Redding after what you just read?

Smith who missed 30 spring and fall practices as a true frost and had Covid?

Who was your stud being left on the bench to rot?
How about Pope and Wiggins continuously being trotted out to start and get reps, huh?

To quote Barry Scheck in the OJ trial: What about that Mr. Fung, huh... how about that?

How about sitting those 2 continuous fails and playing Keyshawn Smith, Harley and Restrepo, even if Harley goes outside? At a minimum, Key Smith should’ve started and got reps over either of Pope & Wiggins and you can’t remotely defend otherwise objectively.

Get out your feelings, it ain’t that deep my boy. There’s no way you can be slow if you running a verified 4.54 40. Literally impossible,can he run his routes better and more efficiently? Of course. And ain’t nobody defending anything other than the claim of him being “slow”. Plus I aint Mentioned pope in months, don’t even post on here like that chill out lol.

I dont have Nothing against restrepo so go ahead and stop that agenda lol
6F91771E-1274-489F-926E-B79C0A13CD06.jpeg

There’s multiple reasons , one being the obvious. How can I keep starting two guys that both blew the conference away with drops per game ? I believe it was 22 percent of their attempts were dropped. I’ve never seen two guys on the same team do that in 35+ years of watching football. I’m sure it’s happened but you rarely see something that bad.

Yet they didn’t lose burn.

Btw they’re quite liberal with the drop stat, it pretty much has to be a pretty obvious drop to be called one.

Imagine playing with those two and watching that comedy show each week and still not getting much burn? Teams already use the south Florida bias against us in recruiting , you know the ole “coaches show favoritism to the home town kids over oos kids” deal?Eventually kids will be like “f this , I’m out”. Which then can hurt recruiting. So yeah , there’s motivation to not losing a locker room.

If the snaps aren’t doesn’t look drastically different and more guys aren’t playing I’ll happily eat my words.
Are you suggesting Lashlee had no authority to decide who played at WR? If so, that’s completely false.

God forbid they have to admit that there’s been some issues with favoritism in the past.

I've seen this topic come up a few times, particularly in regards to Pope. I'm not suggesting it's impossible, but wouldn't you agree that the idea that better, talented players are on the bench because Pope/Wiggins (or whoever the case may be) is someone's favorite is very . . . conspiratorial? I mean, we had a 1st time OC and WR coach with fresh eyes from the prior staff and those guys (#6/#8) still got snaps.

Advertisement
How about Pope and Wiggins continuously being trotted out to start and get reps, huh?

To quote Barry Scheck in the OJ trial: What about that Mr. Fung, huh... how about that?

How about sitting those 2 continuous fails and playing Keyshawn Smith, Harley and Restrepo, even if Harley goes outside? At a minimum, Key Smith should’ve started and got reps over either of Pope & Wiggins and you can’t remotely defend otherwise objectively.

Lmao.

Your plan, in a season of that had an unprecedented loss of practice time, is to move by far your most productive receiver to a new position in order to insert two true freshmen?? Not even gonna get into who had Covid and when.

Can you imagine any other successful team in America doing anything like this?

Jfc come on. This place is turning your brain to mush.

The best part of your preposterous suggestion is you’ll go back to a slurper neme and make it about “defending the coaches “

Last edited:
Get out your feelings, it ain’t that deep my boy. There’s no way you can be slow if you running a verified 4.54 40. Literally impossible,can he run his routes better and more efficiently? Of course, obviously needs work there, been that way since highschool. And ain’t nobody defending anything other than the claim of him being “slow”. Plus I aint Mentioned pope in months, i don’t even post on here like that anymore chill out lol.

I dont have Nothing against restrepo so go ahead and stop that agenda lol. Go back and look at my posts about him, he’ can play and did very well going against the top competition in south Florida
fwiw bigger guys look slow even when they're running fast.

also fwiw I dogged you for being an undying JT4 truther and seeing his 2017 tape again was eye-opening. I forgot how good he was. Speed, sudden route breaks, ball tracking and ball skills, run after catch. I checked out his twitter and he's talking like he gets it now so we'll see if he can get back on track.

Advertisement
I've seen this topic come up a few times, particularly in regards to Pope. I'm not suggesting it's impossible, but wouldn't you agree that the idea that better, talented players are on the bench because Pope/Wiggins (or whoever the case may be) is someone's favorite is very . . . conspiratorial? I mean, we had a 1st time OC and WR coach with fresh eyes from the prior staff and those guys (#6/#8) still got snaps.
This is what confuses me, it makes no sense that Manny would overrule the position coach and OC particularly for a side of the ball that is not his specialty when they played so poorly, but... people who clearly have legit connections on this board are saying that is the case. Assuming that those connections are not giving biased information and Manny is doing this, why? Does he think it will help with recruiting b/c of connections? They show up in practice and he wants to keep giving them chances b/c he thinks they will break through? He just likes them better?

Maybe I missed it, but I don't believe I have ever seen the reason as to why he favors them.

Oops , I can’t believe I forgot that. I don’t want to shake up the rambling wreck in the mannbee hive located in manny’s cheeks. I can see they’re already starting to buzz around in here.
I think it’s obvious why 6 and 8 played so much especially Pope. We’ve lost so many talented guys to Bama, Manny was like look we have to give pope every opportunity to develop into a star to show the younger kids they can come here and be great. They forced fed him the ball so they could go to the Brandon Innis’ of the world and say see you don’t have to leave. Unfortunately, 6 “dropped” his opportunities away. The silver lining in this though is that Harley can be the guy they wanted Pope to be. Homegrown kid developed into the all time leading receiver, 1st team All conference player.

I have no inside information like you but if I was the coach that would be my logic. This year is the Harley/Mallory show rotate at other spots to see who steps up.

fwiw bigger guys look slow even when they're running fast.

also fwiw I dogged you for being an undying JT4 truther and seeing his 2017 tape again was eye-opening. I forgot how good he was. Speed, sudden route breaks, ball tracking and ball skills, run after catch. I checked out his twitter and he's talking like he gets it now so we'll see if he can get back on track.
He’s playing slow , I capitalized it and put an exclamation point because I’ve been told by different people how slow he looks. No separation. They stressed it.

So that tells me he’s thinking rather than playing , meaning he’s probably worrying about getting his assignment right or route running. Or maybe he just doesn’t play fast. That’s why I keep saying it’s too early to throw him in the trash heap. But if he doesn’t get burn or gets passed up we’ll know why.

He’s a big , physical kid with a crazy vertical , who’s to say if he isn’t as fast he can’t change his game? Using physicality ? We’ll see.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back