A few scrimmage nuggets

I said toughness making catches in traffic and run after catch are areas where he's lacking relative to most good slots.

I don't think I said he won't play better inside. He obviously has issues dealing with physical press coverage and that would alleviate some. The problem with moving Pope inside is he's a downgrade from Harley, and Harley outside is a downgrade from Harley inside, so now you're limited at all 3 WR positions with very flawed players.

Harley should remain a slot. He was the one mostly reliable WR Miami had last year. If his presence there gets in the way of Restrepo or Brashard seeing the field then you move Harley ahead of Rambo (at Z/flanker) and put someone else at X/split end. How many plays were missed last year because Wiggins and Pope were too soft on in-breakers or vertical shots? Rambo and Harley aren't any better in that department. We need to see if Payton can have a breakout, if Redding can be a Kelvin Harmon type, if Brinson can add weight and play like Dyami Brown, if Keyshawn Smith has alpha traits. I liked Worsham as a prospect but he's not a scheme fit anymore so I assume he's gonna transfer. Those are the options.

I see what you mean. Personally, I don’t want Pope starting anywhere.

But I think back to Berrios. He never showed his track speed or elusiveness before 2017. He caught punts well, but never looked dynamic. We squandered him on the outside and he was a ghost. Most on here maligned him as a bust. Moved him inside and he became a legend.

I think Pope has the same potential and he would settle down and show things we haven’t seen in the slot. The problem is the slot is crowded with Harley, Restrepo emerging, and Smith having elite potential.

But there is an easy solution: Run more 4 wide receiver sets. It will keep Mallory healthy and let us ease in the young tight ends. You get more opportunities for everybody to prove themselves on the field if they earned the reps in practice.

The thing is, it’s time to shorten the leashes and pull guys who aren’t performing well, even if it is only for a series or 2 to settle them down.

Advertisement
You must be heavily inebriated. Bc if you watched the games you would see why Restrepo was getting **** on by most posters on the board. If he only dropped one punt people wouldn’t be ****ting on the young man.

Did I bring up Pope? No I didn’t. Proof is in the pudding there.
I'm pretty sure @Coach Macho knows a lil more about Xavier than you. I mean, he did coach him and I'm pretty sure he's in contact with the staff as well. Imma go with the coach point of view rather than from a fan's perspective. Nothing against you.

If Pope (or Wiggins for that matter) see any kind of significant burn at the position this year, I simply question how good the rest of the bunch is. WR is a position you should be making an impact early if you are legit. If Pope's bummy self is still getting burn over the what...7, 8 freshman or sophomore WRs we have...then, idk what that says for those 7 or 8. But its usually very telling (as we are now seeing with Payton, for example).

These guys will catapult themselves face first into Manny’s lap faster than Woody Allen into his 6 year old daughter’s. Careful, friend.

I was told by CIS's Diaz Devotees' Club that any time there is the possibility of a coaching error, it's almost always one or more players underperforming. And in the rare case where it is a coaching issue, we look first to the position coach, then the coordinator, and lastly the HC.

Advertisement
I see what you mean. Personally, I don’t want Pope starting anywhere.

But I think back to Berrios. He never showed his track speed or elusiveness before 2017. He caught punts well, but never looked dynamic. We squandered him on the outside and he was a ghost. Most on here maligned him as a bust. Moved him inside and he became a legend.

I think Pope has the same potential and he would settle down and show things we haven’t seen in the slot. The problem is the slot is crowded with Harley, Restrepo emerging, and Smith having elite potential.

But there is an easy solution: Run more 4 wide receiver sets. It will keep Mallory healthy and let us ease in the young tight ends. You get more opportunities for everybody to prove themselves on the field if they earned the reps in practice.

The thing is, it’s time to shorten the leashes and pull guys who aren’t performing well, even if it is only for a series or 2 to settle them down.
I think we've all seen enough of Pope at this point. That said, you never know. At the end of the day, these are 18-22 year old kids. The light comes on a little later for some (although IMO, Pope's deficiencies appear to be inherent flaws in his game).

Thanks.. Just saw him in the highlight reel. Is he behind Garcia?
After yesterday I’d say he is. It’s early but I imagine tvd is still one but Garcia’s will push him. Both played well, Garcia might just be better than I expected. I had questions about him. Garcia / Tvd will probably go right down to the last couple prescribed for Kings backup.

Advertisement
So, super early hot take: Harley gets moved outside permanently and the y position gets put up for grabs.

I was told by CIS's Diaz Devotees' Club that any time there is the possibility of a coaching error, it's almost always one or more players underperforming. And in the rare case where it is a coaching issue, we look first to the position coach, then the coordinator, and lastly the HC.
Good friend, you are clearly well studied in the hierarchy of the ball tonguers.

Advertisement
And even then, it's a recruiting issue because we don't drop bags.

One scrimmage in and some here are looking for some kind of gotcha moment or smoking gun. Why can't it just be the most logical answer, that the coaches were overly loyal to two most experienced guys but the younger guys weren't ready?

Saw a pic of Restrepo this morning and he looked like a grown *** man compared to what he was last year. Isn't it possible he just wasn't ready last season and after a year of lifting, practice and learning the system he's more comfortable and confident?

Pope and Wiggins was going to play , there’s a reason they dropped a quarter of the passes thrown to them and they didn’t lose burn. Obviously Likens had no say there.
So why has it changed in your prediction that more rotation will occur in 2021

Advertisement
One scrimmage in and some here are looking for some kind of gotcha moment or smoking gun. Why can't it just be the most logical answer, that the coaches were overly loyal to two most experienced guys but the younger guys weren't ready?

Saw a pic of Restrepo this morning and he looked like a grown *** man compared to what he was last year. Isn't it possible he just wasn't ready last season and after a year of lifting, practice and learning the system he's more comfortable and confident?
No

So why has it changed in your prediction that more rotation will occur in 2021
There’s multiple reasons , one being the obvious. How can I keep starting two guys that both blew the conference away with drops per game ? I believe it was 22 percent of their attempts were dropped. I’ve never seen two guys on the same team do that in 35+ years of watching football. I’m sure it’s happened but you rarely see something that bad.

Yet they didn’t lose burn.

Btw they’re quite liberal with the drop stat, it pretty much has to be a pretty obvious drop to be called one.

Imagine playing with those two and watching that comedy show each week and still not getting much burn? Teams already use the south Florida bias against us in recruiting , you know the ole “coaches show favoritism to the home town kids over oos kids” deal?Eventually kids will be like “f this , I’m out”. Which then can hurt recruiting. So yeah , there’s motivation to not losing a locker room.

If the snaps doesn’t look drastically different and more guys aren’t playing I’ll happily eat my words.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back