A few scrimmage nuggets

Advertisement
It’s still early. I started not to mention it but I was told the same thing last year but I didn’t think it was right to post that about a true fr. I’ve been told he has trouble separating.

Ive seen guys who needed work look lost or play slower than their actual speed and normally it’s thinking rather than playing. The speed of the game could be an issue , then the light comes on for them two , three years later. Or maybe he’s just who we thought he was. Either way it’s still too early to give up on him.
Crib,
I'm curious if you have heard similar things about Jeremiah Payton? Every time I have seen his play it seems as though he also has great difficulty getting separation. Maybe it is injury related. Payton seemed to be a very good prospect coming in but so far he has shown nothing. No flashing nothing.

Interesting note on Redding and Pope.

Not surprised they keep throwing life rafts to Pope.
Surprised Redding is slow. Wasn’t he a low 4.4 guy with crazy good physical numbers?
Creating separation against a DB is different than running a straight 40-yard dash. If a player is too stiff, 40-yard dash times don't correlate to production on the field.

That said, if Smith and Restrepo are the goods, we're batting .500 for the class of '20 WRs, which isn't bad. Though it's still a bit early to give up on Redding.

Crib,
I'm curious if you have heard similar things about Jeremiah Payton? Every time I have seen his play it seems as though he also has great difficulty getting separation. Maybe it is injury related. Payton seemed to be a very good prospect coming in but so far he has shown nothing. No flashing nothing.
Payton’s issue is all mental and maturity. He flashes but then loses focus , runs a wrong route or something like that. Pretty frustrating cat. I haven’t heard anything on him lately , not sure if that’s good or bad.

Creating separation against a DB is different than running a straight 40-yard dash. If a player is too stiff, 40-yard dash times don't correlate to production on the field.

That said, if Smith and Restrepo are the goods, we're batting .500 for the class of '20 WRs, which isn't bad. Though it's still a bit early to give up on Redding.
Still this offense would explode with an Ahmon Richards type WR. Could Brinson be that guy?

Advertisement
You must be heavily inebriated. Bc if you watched the games you would see why Restrepo was getting **** on by most posters on the board. If he only dropped one punt people wouldn’t be ****ting on the young man.

Did I bring up Pope? No I didn’t. Proof is in the pudding there.
I don't even drink.
And I'm sure I would forget any plays made by one of my favorite players in 14 years of coaching.

Why don't you tell me what games he dropped punts. I'll wait.

It’s still early. I started not to mention it but I was told the same thing last year but I didn’t think it was right to post that about a true fr. I’ve been told he has trouble separating.

Ive seen guys who needed work look lost or play slower than their actual speed and normally it’s thinking rather than playing. The speed of the game could be an issue , then the light comes on for them two , three years later. Or maybe he’s just who we thought he was. Either way it’s still too early to give up on him.
His problem is the way we're starting to stack talent now and with the portal is a couple years go by and there's another 7-8 dudes at his position ready to take over.

Advertisement
I don't even drink.
And I'm sure I would forget any plays made by one of my favorite players in 14 years of coaching.

Why don't you tell me what games he dropped punts. I'll wait.

I think you’re getting trolled.

Don’t go by me too much, but I just remember 2, and as has already been said I believe one of those was a free gimme that he could take a chance on.

Shlt, I remember Santana Moss dropping a sure touchdown when he was wide open against FSU. I don’t think some of these people were around during that season, but I wonder what they would’ve said. It wasn’t his only dropped pass that year either

Advertisement
Whatever happens this is starting to get fun and I haven't said that in a really long time.
I'm not satisfied or having fun till I watch this season. My excitement is all the way low waiting for the collapse. I'm in show me mode and week one will be brutal. After the Diaz hire I always said this game vs bama is the death of the program.

Advertisement
6 is going to be out there dropping passes on 9/4 and I’m just going to laugh my *** off. I’m done being upset about it. Him and his HS teammate literally lost our last game for us with their bullsh*t after doing the same stuff all season but he keeps getting these 1st team reps/chances. Whatever.
Restrepo had COVID last year so he’s behind. He might never be able to make up for that asymptomatic week he was laid up.

I remember a TD punt return Davon Johnson had, I was at the game, I think it was Virginia, where a Virginia player was almost killed with a blindside block.

His body went limp as my dyck when I spy one of Partotnose’s 600 lb wildebeests. You know, I’ll be honest, I don’t even know if those kind of blocks are legal anymore.

They keep fūcking around with those rules.

Edit - WAIT: Am I thinking of Thearon Collier? Somebody tell me. I just saw his name, and I said to myself, “wait a second, my mind has fused Davon and Thearon together I can’t remember which is which”
I don’t think Davon ever had a PR TD. Collier did though.

Had an interception in man coverage and some big tackles. Got off Restrepo block and blew up a screen. Just generally looked long, fast, fluid and aware.
And he's being coaches up by Aristide right? I know people were not willing to give him a chance lol

Advertisement
Back