A Deep Dive into the Sludge - Past Recruiting

Do you have any ideas of schools you would like me to look at? I thought about this as well, comparing to other schools.. but the only teams that have really competed for national titles since the playoff started are Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio St. Sure you have a couple of one-offs in there, like Cincy, Notre Dame, and Michigan but they are not sustaining that success either. It feels like you do need to have 99-02 talent to sustain championship-level success.
Let’s start with Michigan. Feels like our build will be very similar to theirs in some ways.

Advertisement
Interesting regarding the recruitment of the blue chip guys. My brother and I were just discussing that last week, wondering just how coveted our four+ star players were and how they're likely overrated for their ranking. I had a feeling they weren't heavily recruited by the big time programs.
There’s a big difference between the player ranked #40 and the player ranked #500… but they’re both 4 stars

Just going off 247 rankings these are how our classes actually have lasted... 23 have transferred out (did not include transfers in)

2018 8th ranked class
jordan 4* (#33)
blades 4* (#97)
scaife 4* (#149)
harris 4* (#173)
frierson 4* (#200)
mallory 4* (#211)
reed 4* (#259)
ivey 4* (#353)
campbell 3* (#481)
rousseau 3* (#485)
miller 3* (#NA)
12 transferred out

2019 17th ranked class
smith 4* (#188)
huff 4* (#207)
harvey 4* (#210)
blissett 4* (#294)
couch 4* (#340)
jhh 3* (#519)
brooks 3* (#750)
traore 3* (#87 juco)
elgammal 3* (#NA)
nelson 3* (#NA)
clark 3* (#NA)
matocha 3* (#NA)
hedley 3* (#242)
5 transferred out

2020 11th ranked class
williams 4* (#45)
williams 4* (#85)
knighton 4* (#106)
chaney 4* (#114)
rivers 4* (#128)
tvd 4* (#222)
harrell 4* (#233)
dunson 4* (#325)
roberts 4* (#358)
washington 3* (#376)
mammarelli 3* (#418)
restrepo 3* (#624)
smith 3* (#709)
balom 3* (#757)
flagg 3* (#830)
6 transferred out

Do you have any ideas of schools you would like me to look at? I thought about this as well, comparing to other schools.. but the only teams that have really competed for national titles since the playoff started are Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio St. Sure you have a couple of one-offs in there, like Cincy, Notre Dame, and Michigan but they are not sustaining that success either. It feels like you do need to have 99-02 talent to sustain championship-level success.
I myself would be happy if we were in the discussion of even getting to a playoff, a consistent top 8-12 team.

Advertisement
The COACHES are a FUGGING disaster. Period. And starts with Wario...
YES!! Let's burn it all down, and start over again with a new staff next year!!! And then the year after that, and after that!!! It's the only way to success! LFG!

I myself would be happy if we were in the discussion of even getting to a playoff, a consistent top 8-12 team.
I don't want to settle for top 8-12. I am a Miami fan because of 5 national championships, players who were ALPHAS when they were at the top, swagger, confidence. No thank you to top 8-12 every year. I'll look at Michigan as another poster suggested to see what they have done with their talent. My guess is pretty good since they've been 21-2 the last 2 seasons so far.

I don't want to settle for top 8-12. I am a Miami fan because of 5 national championships, players who were ALPHAS when they were at the top, swagger, confidence. No thank you to top 8-12 every year. I'll look at Michigan as another poster suggested to see what they have done with their talent. My guess is pretty good since they've been 21-2 the last 2 seasons so far.
8-12 is probably peak for Mario. He finished top 10 once in 4 years with Herbert as his QB for 2 of those years. Teams that win national titles have the talent and have the coaching from top to bottom.

Advertisement
Back