#93 Campbell

i agree 100% on the move ... but based on last it seemed that once guys won a spot, they stayed there ... that being said, i'm intrigued with bell ... if he can get coached up he has the tools ... he has length (pause) to cover up mistakes he may make technique wise
Once they win a spot they stay there usually. But also if your 6th man IS a OG or is an OT what are you gunna do? Just rock with 7th guy instead? Or 8th guy if that 7th guy is a center? What do you do if your center goes down and you backup is the 8th or 9th best lineman?

It seems simple really Carpenter is our center. Then the staff thinks the best 4 are Rivers, Mauigoa, Cooper, and Okunlola. And they likely believe Rivers/Okunlola/Mauigoa can play any OG/OT spot. And imo the most important position on OL are OTs and Center.

The competition now appears to be for OL6. Last year that was McCoy and he came in a lot as a blocking TE and in heavy sets. However he wasn’t the clear OL6 because Cristobal played a lot in bowl game and Rodriguez played as backup center… so Actually it appears McCoy has moved up in the pecking order at Guard.

Advertisement
I think losing Javion and Matt Lee is going to hurt a lot more than originally anticipated.

Carpenter didn't look good and I'm not sure there's a legitimate option at LG unless Bell can take over RT and Francis can slide to LG. I've yet to see anything from Samson that makes me think he can play RT or LG at an above average level.
I guess some of you forgot that Rivers and Matt Lee both looked pretty bad in last year's spring game and went on to have great seasons. These kids have 4 months to get better before UF.

Last edited:
…as for Carpenter I would bet money not a single one of you payed any attention to Carpenter even on 1 play in the spring game lol.

Like yeah you got your first look at Ward but we’re choosing to watch our ******* center instead lol. Come on. And yall **** sure haven’t rewatched our spring game 5+ times to watch every snap of our center, and qb, and DT, and rt, and olb, etc lol
This a thousand percent. One cane’s content creator has spear headed it and everyone lost their ****. Ofcourse there going to be drop off from Matt Lee but carpenter isn’t trash.

Advertisement
For what he is being paid .... Pancake may not be around much longer.
another reason i would love to see him ready to play earlier than most ... didn't want to delve into on this thread ... but checks have been cut, have services been rendered tho? i'll give him the injury ... need you to show up this fall ready to go

I think losing Javion and Matt Lee is going to hurt a lot more than originally anticipated.

Carpenter didn't look good and I'm not sure there's a legitimate option at LG unless Bell can take over RT and Francis can slide to LG. I've yet to see anything from Samson that makes me think he can play RT or LG at an above average level.
some1 finally said it

Advertisement

Why not bump rivers back to guard and let Samson play tackle

I'm assuming Samson has a lucrative NIL deal, hope he can get it together. It was all good just a week ago.

another reason i would love to see him ready to play earlier than most ... didn't want to delve into on this thread ... but checks have been cut, have services been rendered tho? i'll give him the injury ... need you to show up this fall ready to go
@ageezy @mik303 i would pause for a moment before going down the “what services have been rendered path” as it applies to Samson. No, I’m not his protector or parent. It’s because true freshman OL RARELY do much. I came across a piece by Phil Steele who tracked top 50 true freshman OL starts and playing time over the last 3-4 seasons. Here’s the story:

Cliff’s Notes version:
70% of top 50 true freshman OL redshirt.
2-4 true freshmen OL started all season.
A handful more had spot starts.

That said, how on Earth could the collective realistically start thinking it’s time to boot him based on no ROI?? OL success is strongly correlated with time.

@ageezy @mik303 i would pause for a moment before going down the “what services have been rendered path” as it applies to Samson. No, I’m not his protector or parent. It’s because true freshman OL RARELY do much. I came across a piece by Phil Steele who tracked top 50 true freshman OL starts and playing time over the last 3-4 seasons. Here’s the story:

Cliff’s Notes version:
70% of top 50 true freshman OL redshirt.
2-4 true freshmen OL started all season.
A handful more had spot starts.

That said, how on Earth could the collective realistically start thinking it’s time to boot him based on no ROI?? OL success is strongly correlated with time.
great find ... i ended the post with i hope he's ready to go this fall ... but i also think it's a layered process ... first off, I WANT SAMSON OKUNLOLA TO SUCCEED AT MIAMI ... that being said the portal era has accelerated the demand to win ... can we tie up money for on a guy waiting for development vs. get a guy whose ready to produce the moment they step on campus?

Advertisement
great find ... i ended the post with i hope he's ready to go this fall ... but i also think it's a layered process ... first off, I WANT SAMSON OKUNLOLA TO SUCCEED AT MIAMI ... that being said the portal era has accelerated the demand to win ... can we tie up money for on a guy waiting for development vs. get a guy whose ready to produce the moment they step on campus?
I hear where you’re coming from. I think the 5 stars and high fours require some NIL to get their signature on NSD. No money, no honey. However the larger concept of ROI is not lost on me.

For what he is being paid .... Pancake may not be around much longer.

I think it depends on what the coaches see. OL is a developmental position. At some point, coaches need to determine whether or not it's going to amount to anything. Samson missed a lot of last year due to injury and he was already a raw kid to begin with. I'm sure his athletic/physical profile has given him a long leash with the coaches. How long is that leash remains to be seen but if I'm the coaches, giving up now is too early for a prospect like that. I'd give him one more season to see what his trajectory is. If it continues the same way and he continues to struggle, yeah, I think you need to cut bait.

Francis to LG and either Bell or Pancake at RT. I have spoken

GIF by One Chicago

Why would Francis give up his RT spot to Pancake, if Francis is the better player?

Advertisement
Why would Francis give up his RT spot to Pancake, if Francis is the better player?

Get the best 5 out there, and from what I have read since I am nothing close to a OL guru, Francis projects better as a OG at the next level.

Get the best 5 out there, and from what I have read since I am nothing close to a OL guru, Francis projects better as a OG at the next level.
They can still both be out there with Samson at LG. Leave Cooper and Francis together on the right side and shore up the left..which is exactly what the plan is when Francis returns

They can still both be out there with Samson at LG. Leave Cooper and Francis together on the right side and shore up the left..which is exactly what the plan is when Francis returns

If that is best 5 and best combination for their skillsets then lets go with that. I wasn't sure if Samson was strong enough yet to deal with DT's every play.

93-Campbell was very active at the spring game.

Campbell, Gore, Cook, Clark are each 6th year seniors.

Supplemented by Moten, Horton, Scott, Jones, Russell.

Call me what you will but we should ride with what we got imo.

Advertisement
Back