8th signee is Zion Nelson

More moron talk from this goofball. Dude has never been the same since he spent a few months chasing Dan Sileo Jr for recruiting info.
Hopefully this will add to his long list of being wrong. Im still waiting for Dalvin Cook to arrive at Miami.

Advertisement
I want to believe man I really do.
But Idk if some on here are just wanting to believe.
What we’re hoping that this young man does is a near impossibility. To start at left tackle as a freshman at a major p5 program has been done at a very very low rate. So low that the only logical conclusion is that this position is scary thin and of poor talent. So while he may start it doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be very good.
It also possible that everyone just whiffed and we got **** lucky.
Mitch Hyatt started as a true freshman at Clemson left tackle. The first frosh to start at left tackle at that school since 1944!!!! He came in at 6’5” 270 and he was a **** stud. Maybe this dude is the goods.
But I’ll temper my expectations. At the very least he’s gettting some of the best experience at left tackle. Only a few schools can match what he’s seeing at practice on a daily basis.
I know what we’ve heard and what the coaches have said. But spring camp is just that.
Last year’s spring made me numb.
If Zion does in fact play a lot at left tackle he's not going to be left regularly on an island. He'll be getting help from our TEs. Their further development as blockers is key.

....I still don't think he's going to be truly ready. ONLY reason he's even getting this much PT is cause Kennedy was a bust, George Brown sucks ****, and we didn't get Evan Neal. I think John Campbell will be ahead of him after Summer too. Looks like he had a great spring though and seeing as how our OT's are plain bad, I hope he's ready to play, cause we might need him unfortunately.

But yall really need to pump the brakes on the hype right now.

....I still don't think he's going to be truly ready. ONLY reason he's even getting this much PT is cause Kennedy was a bust, George Brown sucks ****, and we didn't get Evan Neal. I think John Campbell will be ahead of him after Summer too. Looks like he had a great spring though and seeing as how our OT's are plain bad, I hope he's ready to play, cause we might need him unfortunately.

I / we really need Zion to succeed he'll use the fire in him , I put the bar for him higher then any other. I see him freshmen All American.

WHY NOT BROTHERS WHY NOT ZION WHO PLAYS WITH PASSION AGAINST ALL ODDS ,WHO HERE CAN JUDGE THE FIRE IN MANS HEART TO PUT IT ALL ON THE LINE SACRIFICE IT ALL FOR A DREAM.

BROTHERS I'M PUMPED FOR ZION WE HAVE A "WARRIOR" HERE WITH A LUNCH PAIL PULLING THE YOKE OF NAYSAYERS BEHIND HIM.

YES HE'S THE ONE I WANT IN MY FOX HOLE AND PROTECTING MY BLIND SIDE.

A TREMENDOUS STORY IS UNFOLDING BEFORE US ALL.

sorry for the CAPS just pumped for our teamate.

GOCANES

It’s good thing he’s competing, but he’s done nothing so far, and he’s competing against a bunch of scrubs for PT at tackle.

No one is right or wrong in this argument yet.

Advertisement

No need to pump the brakes. The kid playes at a much higher level than even the coaches expected per their own words. That means he will get playing time as a freshman and should be great by the time he's a junior. He's not great now, bit his ceiling was raised several notches higher after his Spring performance.

You kind of look foolish now that we found a diamond in the ruff.

Be excited, for sure. He came in and worked hard to gain about 30 lbs. and appears ahead of schedule. But it's a little early to start crowning someone as "a diamond in the rough." Zion probably needs to play in at least one college game before that happens.

Be excited, for sure. He came in and worked hard to gain about 30 lbs. and appears ahead of schedule. But it's a little early to start crowning someone as "a diamond in the rough." Zion probably needs to play in at least one college game before that happens.
I hear ya, but he's ahead of guys that have been here 2-3 years. So, I call that a diamond recruit. Now, he needs to play like it when it counts.

Advertisement
You definitely look like an idiot now proclaiming we unearthed a gem after a few practice reports.
Gee. That's a really nice comeback given that the kid is probably going to start and at minimum plays a lot. He has clearly exceeded expectations thus far per the coaching staff. Obviously, he needs to show out in the games. Your comment is lacking and quite frankly is childish.

Last edited:
Gee. That's a really nice comeback given that the kid is probably going to start and at minimum plays a lot. He has clearly exceeded expectations thus far per the coaching staff. Obviously, he needs to show out in the games. Your comment lacking and quite frankly is childish.

The hardest words to say in the English dictionary is, “I was wrong.”

Advertisement
I’m not a message board guy, but I did laugh when I saw the Hurricanes message boards and what they said about him when he signed,” Barnes said. “I remember saying, ‘I can’t wait to talk you in about 12 months.’ I tell people all the time, the NFL does it for a living, has scouts everywhere and they’re 50-50 on accuracy. So people don’t know near as much about players as they think they know. "

Evaluation is not for everyone yet everyone has an opinion. There will be more recruits like Zion and I'll be here for the fans who want to dig deeper than offer lists and star ratings.

Any summary of what it says?
Pretty long article, but it says that Zion wasn't recruited because he weighed 240lbs.

Played cello before football. Mom played basketball. Didn't play football until 8th grade. Played tight end before tackle in high school.

They write about us losing tarquin and eguakun and then finding Zion at the last minute. Smart kid who took college classes the last two years of HS.

Mom lost her job, her and Zion moved into her father's house to get by. He didn't gain much weight in HS because, mom had to pay bills or food.

Advertisement
Pretty long article, but it says that Zion wasn't recruited because he weighed 240lbs.

Played cello before football. Mom played basketball. Didn't play football until 8th grade. Played tight end before tackle in high school.

They write about us losing tarquin and eguakun and then finding Zion at the last minute. Smart kid who took college classes the last two years of HS.

Mom lost her job, her and Zion moved into her father's house to get by. He didn't gain much weight in HS because, mom had to pay bills or food.

Sounds like a good humble kid who has already overcome adversity in his life. We have not heard one bad thing about Zion since he signed, he just keeps raising the bar for expectations. I'd like to see if we recruit any other lineman in his mold this cycle like Barry had mentioned when he enrolled.

The recruiting sites love to rank based on measurables like weight so he obviously took a lot of heat from that, I'd love to know where they'd rank him if they saw him at 270. And if he actually ends up being a baller for us, I'd love to know how we found him and what liked about him.

I’m not a message board guy, but I did laugh when I saw the Hurricanes message boards and what they said about him when he signed,” Barnes said. “I remember saying, ‘I can’t wait to talk you in about 12 months.’ I tell people all the time, the NFL does it for a living, has scouts everywhere and they’re 50-50 on accuracy. So people don’t know near as much about players as they think they know. "

Evaluation is not for everyone yet everyone has an opinion. There will be more recruits like Zion and I'll be here for the fans who want to dig deeper than offer lists and star ratings.

The thing about this kid is that people tend to overlook is that he was an Appalachian State commit.
People scoffed at this because this is not a P5 program, but that program had some pretty solid
Olinemen and I think for several years they had the best OL unit in their conference.
Moreover, if you look at his video, has pretty good length and looked to be well-coached.
So I have no issues with him.
Too many of our fans don't know what they are looking at, they simply rely on how many stars are appended to
their name.

Advertisement
Back