Coley's offense gets ****ted on

Problem2

All-American
Premium
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/...illip-dorsett-miami-scouting-report-breakdown

Why in the **** didn't Miami's Phillip Dorsett get the ball thrown his way more often last season?!

No, seriously, I want an answer!

Here I am trying to evaluate this kid and I can't focus because I'm getting angrier and angrier as I watch more film. Miami out and out refused to feed him the **** ball in any of those five games. (For the purposes of this breakdown I went over to Draft Breakdown and watched Miami play against Arkansas State, Georgia Tech, Cincy, Florida State and Virginia).

When they did give Dorsett opportunities down the field he torched pretty much every cat who lined up across from him. The problem, and I'm basically repeating myself here, is the coaching staff just didn't find ways to increase his opportunities.

Again, somebody needs to explain that **** to me. Or better yet explain it to the handful of Hurricanes fans left.

Check it, Dorsett was third on the team in receptions. Third... Behind a tight end and a running back.

Dude...........

But check this: he was also first on the team in receiving yards by **** near TWO HUNNIT over the aforementioned tight end, Clive Walford. That's because Dorsett averaged 24.2 yards a reception! That's more than two first downs worth of field position this kid was giving the Canes on average when he caught the ball and yet Dorsett only tallied more than three catches four times last season. Let's be real now, three catches a game ain't ****. If you can't do better than that to showcase your most explosive receiver, your offensive coordinator ******* sucks!

Oh, and I also must point out that 10 of Dorsett's 36 catches went for touchdowns. Scoring a touchdown every 3.6 times you catch a pass is frigging nuts!

How is it that a player with world class speed (4.33 at the Combine, 4.27 at his pro day) who only had two drops in five games can't even get to 40 catches on the season?

How, Sway?

Or how about this, how in the **** do you throw only one screen pass in five games to Dorsett?

One.

Even then, that screen pass was meant for Dorsett to turn and throw it down the field rather than run it. I **** you not.

And lest you think to yourself "well, maybe they used him on a bunch of reverses/end arounds to get the ball in his hands instead," nope. NOPE!

That failed double pass screen bull**** counted as one of the two carries on the ground Dorsett had on the season.

That's why I don't want to hear any got **** excuses about Miami having a young quarterback. When you have a guy behind center who hasn't played a lot of games, that is the perfect situation to employ all kinds of screens because those are easy passes. ****, it's not like Miami didn't run any screens.

But see, instead of throwing him the screens, they used all 5'10, 185 pounds of Dorsett as a blocker on screens for other, lesser wide receivers on their roster. You're **** right I said lesser, and I didn't stutter. Phillip Dorsett was by far the best wide receiver on Miami's team last season, but he might as well have been some random walk-on at times from they way they used him. Or didn't use him, more accurately.

I give Dorsett a ton of credit for his blocking because most guys his size throw those "look out" blocks. You know, run hard at the guy then just kinda stick your elbow out at him as he goes by you and you shout "look out" to the running back. Dorsett at least endeavored to get his hands on the guys he was trying to block.

At the same time it just didn't make the sense that Miami didn't find more ways to include him in the offense. How their offensive coordinator still has a job is beyond me. What I do know, however, is that Dorsett's best days are definitely ahead of him.

Dorsett isn't just fast, he is also explosive (37-inch vertical at the combine). Maybe best of all, he is very good at tacking on extra yards after the catch. Because of his size he may not ever be a true No. 1 receiver, but I can see Dorsett being one **** of a complimentary receiver. A guy who can take the top off a defense and also take a shallow crosser to the house.

If Phillip Dorsett ***** around and goes to a team with a good offensive coordinator, a good quarterback and a decent offensive line, you better watch the **** out. As I pointed out last year before the draft when I broke down Kelvin Benjamin, a lot of those kinds of teams tend to pick at the bottom of the first round of the draft.

I know most people see Dorsett as a second round pick or maybe even worse, but I'm not so sure he won't end up being one of the top three or four guys in terms of production from this draft, eventually. So if I'm picking late in the first round, I would have to at least consider taking him, especially if my quarterback and offensive line were already set.

This kid checks off **** near all the boxes when it comes to what you want in a wide receiver. And even though he isn't tall by today's standard, he isn't exactly short either when it comes to NFL wide receivers. Then you also have the option of using him on returns as well, even though he didn't exactly impress me as a return man in the games that I watched. I think about Brandin Cooks and that first year he had with the Saints and I think you could possibly get similar production out of Dorsett in the right situation.

It's just a shame his college coaches did not have a ******* clue.

DALE

Gonna be a long, long year.

Advertisement
I tried to tell people...now, scouts/analysts are saying the same thing. Love that article.

This is why I think people are dumb as **** when they say get rid of Chumley, but let Pricko Suave become the HC.

People should really try to understand that Pillars and Core Values take precedent over individual stats and team success. Who wants to to win without Pillars and Core Values? I surely do not...neither do my players.

Sincerely,

Al Golden

LMFAO and in another thread on here we have porsters talking about how lucky we are to have Corley.

LMFAO and in another thread on here we have porsters talking about how lucky we are to have Corley.

I like to refer to them as the undiscerning folk. One would pretty much have to be to find any satisfaction with any aspect of our coaching since 2001.

Advertisement
Coley doesn't get enough heat around here IMO.

If Dorsett had one of these innovative spread guys as his OC he would've put up foolish numbers. Watching Sarkisian speak at an Orlando coaching clinic was all I needed to see to realize how pedestrian Coley is.

No reason why Dorsett shouldn't have gotten the ball 50+ times this year.

He was severely underutilized during his career at UM, which is a **** shame.

Losing Duke is going to hurt more than some want to admit. And for what it's worth he hasn't paid off as a recruiter as many hoped he would.

Advertisement
Our defense has been so mind boggingly awful the past few years, we haven't had time to realize that our offense sucks too.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/...illip-dorsett-miami-scouting-report-breakdown

Why in the **** didn't Miami's Phillip Dorsett get the ball thrown his way more often last season?!

No, seriously, I want an answer!

Here I am trying to evaluate this kid and I can't focus because I'm getting angrier and angrier as I watch more film. Miami out and out refused to feed him the **** ball in any of those five games. (For the purposes of this breakdown I went over to Draft Breakdown and watched Miami play against Arkansas State, Georgia Tech, Cincy, Florida State and Virginia).

When they did give Dorsett opportunities down the field he torched pretty much every cat who lined up across from him. The problem, and I'm basically repeating myself here, is the coaching staff just didn't find ways to increase his opportunities.

Again, somebody needs to explain that **** to me. Or better yet explain it to the handful of Hurricanes fans left.

Check it, Dorsett was third on the team in receptions. Third... Behind a tight end and a running back.

Dude...........

DALE

Gonna be a long, long year.

That stat right there confuses me. How is a wide RECEIVER 3rd on the team in receptions?! That is ridiculous. Was hoping the article was more about scouts take on Dorsett's knowledge on WR basics, playbook, what he learned/didnt learn at UM. Honestly sounded like a canes fan writing the article.

Everyone knew Amari Cooper was a beast, and Kiffin still found ways to get him open. And he did it with a QB who will likely never play a meaningful snap in the NFL as a QB ...

That's what quality coaches do.

Nobody on our staff is untouchable.

And people need to understand ... Jimbo Fisher coached QBs at FSU, not James Coley. And when Jimbo didn't coach them, he let Dameyune Craig do it. The only time Coley coached QBs before he came to us was when he was at FIU. Check his resume ...

So, giving Coley any credit for Ponder, Manuel, or Winston is RI-****-DICULOUS!

Kaaya is his test sample ... We'll see if there is a sophomore slump for him.

If Dorsett had one of these innovative spread guys as his OC he would've put up foolish numbers. Watching Sarkisian speak at an Orlando coaching clinic was all I needed to see to realize how pedestrian Coley is.

several people say coley was hand cuffed by gollden during the season

Advertisement
WOW!!!
That guy just put the staff on blast. Very difficult to argue with any of his many issues with how PD was utilized over the past couple of seasons. It's just remarkable how completely inept this coaching staff is. Especially when you consider another point that this guy failed to mention...Miami could run the ball pretty well.

several people say coley was hand cuffed by gollden during the season

The O will move at a Snails pace this year. Folden will again do everything in his power to keep the Defense off the field.

Last year is the past. Golden and Co have made tons of changes that nobody from the outside can see. He said it himself, so it must be true. Trust the process. Ignore the noise.

Advertisement
My lasting Memories of Dorsett will always be him being wide open and ****ed the ball never was thrown his way. thats why Stacey Coley gave up. too. its like whats the point of running routes if the QB is not even looking at you.

My lasting Memories of Dorsett will always be him being wide open and ****ed the ball never was thrown his way. thats why Stacey Coley gave up. too. its like whats the point of running routes if the QB is not even looking at you.

Sorry.......The Notre Dame Game. 3 Crucial Drops.

I think it important to note yet AGAIN, that Coley's offense is high schoolish, he never coordinated a college offense until coming here and he's not the pro caliber OC we need here. That same can be said for Dorito! Given Golden's inabilities as a HC, we have less than average written all over us.

Advertisement
Back