8 win teams playing in major bowls

Dghustla

Junior
A by product of the CFB Playoff system. Crazy to see multiple 9 win teams in these games also. The games have been competitive with the teams with the lessor records going 2-0 so far but that speaks
more to the committees inability to properly rank teams.

I remember when spots in these games were reserved for the teams that truely had great seasons.

Advertisement
A by product of the CFB Playoff system. Crazy to see multiple 9 win teams in these games also. The games have been competitive with the teams with the lessor records going 2-0 so far but that speaks

I remember when spots in these games were reserved for the teams that truely had great seasons.

8-4 with big wins over UVA, Duke and Pitt has been celebrated as a great season hear, I notice. :)

8-4 with big wins over UVA, Duke and Pitt has been celebrated as a great season hear, I notice. :)

Hey Hey!! We should have been given a Sugar Bowl Bid!

The problem isn't the playoffs, the problem is the bowls that insist on tying themselves to conferences. The Sugar Bowl insisting on having an SEC team doesn't workout so well when the 2nd best SEC team is 14th and this matchup would have happened under the BCS too. Now is this exacerbated by the playoff games with more teams not available to the traditional big bowls? Sure, but they could solve this by getting rid of the league tie ins.

Advertisement
I was thinking the exact same thing but not in the context of being critical of the Playoff. I was thinking how 8 wins in the mighty SEC pretty much can allow you to be knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking going into bowl season and will guarantee you get slurped by the broadcast team as possibly being on the verge of greatness the following season.....even as you get worked during said bowl this year. But yeah, seeing all those 8-4's next to these team names on the scoreboards was noticeable to me too.

Those 5-7 bowl participants were the real disgrace though.

yes they keep ranking these sec teams so high it takes them losing five games to get out of rankings no matter who beats them all they have to do is beat a fake power house sec team and get points while other teams who lose drop instantly. cant watch espn because they think everyone wants to watch these sec teams play their repeat games on almost all the channels i mean enough is enough. at lease when we was on top we beat everybody and played everybody who wanted to play us i haven't seen alabama play the schedules like miami florida state and notredame played in the past, true champions play the best of every conference hats off to clemson they played a tough schedule battle tested the right way.

I was thinking the exact same thing but not in the context of being critical of the Playoff. I was thinking how 8 wins in the mighty SEC pretty much can allow you to be knocking on the door of a top 10 ranking going into bowl season and will guarantee you get slurped by the broadcast team as possibly being on the verge of greatness the following season.....even as you get worked during said bowl this year. But yeah, seeing all those 8-4's next to these team names on the scoreboards was noticeable to me too.

Auburn being in the Sugar Bowl didn't have anything to do with the 'mighty SEC', it's a conference tie-in issue. The game features the Big 12 champion vs. the SEC champion but because the SEC champion (Bama) is in the playoffs the spot defaults to the SEC's #2 team. It's the same reason FSU ended up in the Orange Bowl against Michigan despite having 3 losses and not winning their division. Where is all the whining about that? With UF losing the SEC Championship game then by default the spot went to the SEC team with the second best conference record which was Auburn. Just turns out the SEC on the whole was really down this year so you end up with a 4-loss team in a major bowl. Its going to continue to happen in cases where the conference champs are in the playoffs unless they drop conference tie-ins.

Advertisement

Hey Hey!! We should have been given a Sugar Bowl Bid!

pitt the only team who beat clemson plus it must have meant something since the acc dominated the bowl games and we unranked kicked west virginia to sleep and who was ranked? beat thier hillbillie coached to.

I don't remember if it was just auburn, but i thought i remember another example where my thought was "how is an 8-4 team ranked in the teens"

Auburn being in the Sugar Bowl didn't have anything to do with the 'mighty SEC', it's a conference tie-in issue. The game features the Big 12 champion vs. the SEC champion but because the SEC champion (Bama) is in the playoffs the spot defaults to the SEC's #2 team. It's the same reason FSU ended up in the Orange Bowl against Michigan despite having 3 losses and not winning their division. Where is all the whining about that? With UF losing the SEC Championship game then by default the spot went to the SEC team with the second best conference record which was Auburn. Just turns out the SEC on the whole was really down this year so you end up with a 4-loss team in a major bowl. Its going to continue to happen in cases where the conference champs are in the playoffs unless they drop conference tie-ins.

i disagree sec have their own channel on espn so they have to sell the product keep the ratings up no matter how bad they are. when other conferences in the power five play cupcakes and than play their conference they get penilized for a weak schedule while mizzu or vanderbilt get praised if they beat one of the fake favorites, they get ranked alabamie come along and beat fake hype and woola just because espn put them up there and its nothing we can do unless you break up that monopoly.

I couldn't care less about the conference tie-ins. They are what they are. What was noticeable was that in a major bowl you had a freakin 8-4 team that was somehow ranked #14 that had one "quality" win (over a highly overrated LSU team) and the entire broadcast is still spent slurping them and their bright future....even as Oklahoma smokes them. Then again you had broadcasters saying "Hey now! They're talking about OUR conference!" when the Oklahoma fans started mocking the S-E-C chant.

Advertisement
I don't remember if it was just auburn, but i thought i remember another example where my thought was "how is an 8-4 team ranked in the teens"

The jorts wearing swamp hillbillies? They have to be the most overrated team in the polls.

I agree with Shogungts. The bowl tie-ins are messing up the match-ups. Also, bowls want teams with fans that will travel.

I couldn't care less about the conference tie-ins. They are what they are. What was noticeable was that in a major bowl you had a freakin 8-4 team that was somehow ranked #14 that had one "quality" win (over a highly overrated LSU team) and the entire broadcast is still spent slurping them and their bright future....even as Oklahoma smokes them. Then again you had broadcasters saying "Hey now! They're talking about OUR conference!" when the Oklahoma fans started mocking the S-E-C chant.

They're polishing a ****. What else do you want them to do? The matchup was neither even nor exciting, they aren't going to say "hey we have a 4-loss team in the game that's only here because of a conference tie-in, man I wish we had a more intriguing matchup!" on air. FSU doesn't have a quality win either and it didn't stop them from playing in the Orange Bowl for the same reason. Blame the playoffs and the stupid conference tie-ins.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back