8/12/2014 Sports Buzz

theibisrules

Senior
### As many as nine starting jobs on UM’s defense remain up in the air, and nose tackle has emerged as a four-way battle with Earl Moore (wore a starter’s jersey until Monday when Calvin Heurtelou replaced him), Heurtelou, Courtel Jenkins and Michael Wyche (still trying to lose weight).

Heurtelou was somewhat of a disappointment when he arrived in the spring, but Al Golden said Monday that he “changed his body dramatically, got himself in great condition the past five months.” And Golden said Jenkins “is having a great camp.”

### Expect Duke Johnson to catch more passes this season, Golden said. “Every time he touches the ball, he’s trying to go 20 to 30 yards.”

### UM’s defensive backfield is so deep that barring injury, it’s difficult to envision a defensive role for Ray Lewis III.

UM, at least for now, decided against moving Lewis back to running back, where he played in high school.

Lewis, who was suspended for UM’s bowl game, admitted to reporters on Monday (including Susan Miller Degnan): “I feel like I wasn't mature enough to handle some of the things that were thrown at me when I came to Miami. You don't got mommy with you anymore. Everything's on you, everything's on how much you mature, on whatever your parents instilled in you over time. They definitely did teach me right, and I feel like I kind of got sidetracked when I first got here.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

I think Courtel Jenkins is gonna be a real bully on that football field....he is right down mean out there. They call him lil Terrio but I think that's gonna **** him off more. Watch out for this guy.

Advertisement
We recruited one CB last year who some think may be more suited to safety. We have yet to get a verbal commitment from a CB this year. If the trend continues, Lewis will compete for a lot of playing time in 2015. It has also been reported that he has brought his 40 time down to 4.5. He is a terrific athlete who I thought might be a little slow for the CB position, but 4.5 is plenty fast enough to excel at CB.

Let's hope NT is a "four-way battle" because he have four guys that can actually play.

If so, our season just started to look a WHOLE lot better IMO.

We recruited one CB last year who some think may be more suited to safety. We have yet to get a verbal commitment from a CB this year. If the trend continues, Lewis will compete for a lot of playing time in 2015. It has also been reported that he has brought his 40 time down to 4.5. He is a terrific athlete who I thought might be a little slow for the CB position, but 4.5 is plenty fast enough to excel at CB.

In 2015 we should have the following CB's if they stay:

Howard
Crawford
Burns
Elder

We need to pick up a few guys, NSD is a long ways away, but we should be set there for 2015.

Advertisement
Time is on our side though. Now if there are no verbal commits from any dbs in Jan...push and hold the PANIC button.

In 2015 we should have the following CB's if they stay:

Howard
Crawford
Burns
Elder

We need to pick up a few guys, NSD is a long ways away, but we should be set there for 2015.

No one should e leaving early out of that group which should give us two very good starting CB's for the next 3 seasons. Hopefully Ray Ray can be one of those guys.

I liked what I saw from Hertelou in the spring game. Plays nice and low and on the other side of the LOS. Could be a steal.

Will be sure to neg later for implying that Artie Burns can't play CB

Will be sure to neg later for implying that Artie Burns can't play CB

Pretty sure he was talking about Mays. Artie Burns was class of '13

Advertisement
If Earl Moore has the been the top NT so far, that is cause for concern. Unless he has drastically upped his game, I recall him being pretty ineffective last year.

Advertisement
Said it since the get go that Lewis III does nothing for us at DB.

Give the boy a shot at RB

Advertisement
Back