A Picture that I Think Means So Much More

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
IMG_5354.jpg

That may look like a picture of our 3rd and short defense. It may look like I previously tried to show that we were essentially playing a lot of the game - regardless of position on field - with 6 in the box vs 8 (QB was a run threat). 2 of our 6 players are being kept approximately 5 yards off the ball to avoid the wash. The Wash? Yes, basically the wash of our defensive linemen who are asked to 2-gap, play contain and generally control the line so that players could, theoretically, fill. Our 2 Safeties, considering the down and distance, are relatively deep. 1 of the 3 LBs on the field is hedging over the slot WR who the offense has placed there essentially to manipulate our defensive formation.

It might look like a critique or at least a very concerned question about our defensive call. To me, it's more.

I am and have been concerned with the direction of the entire program because that picture is representative of what we saw during low points in previous games and seasons. It shows a seemingly unwavering loyalty to a particular approach. It shows that, if we think something will or should work, we'll stick by it even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it won't. On narrower levels, it shows:

- a conservative approach that is predicated on awaiting for the opponent to make mistakes
- a theoretical approach that hinges on players potentially doing things that don't maximize their talents
- that we *actually got a stop* on that particular play, and therefore some throw support behind instances of success instead of whether or not something we make decisions - a scheme, an approach, a general direction - that are sustainable in a meaningful way. For meaningful games.

Most of all, it all adds up to something bigger: a program many have associated with aggression now seemingly operates on fear.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Braveheart, your a smart dude. I will unite the clans in the north, if you lead the march on Coral Gables. Al Golden can take our money, but he will never take our foooooooooottttttbbbaaaalllllllll!!!!!!

you show my a butch davis defense with safety's closer to the back end zone line then the goal lined I will show you a poster who will never post again

Last edited:
View attachment 25745

That may look like a picture of our 3rd and short defense. It may look like I previously tried to show that we were essentially playing a lot of the game - regardless of position on field - with 6 in the box vs 8 (QB was a run threat). 2 of our 6 players are being kept approximately 5 yards off the ball to avoid the wash. The Wash? Yes, basically the wash of our defensive linemen who are asked to 2-gap, play contain and generally control the line so that players could, theoretically, fill. Our 2 Safeties, considering the down and distance, are relatively deep. 1 of the 3 LBs on the field is hedging over the slot WR who the offense has placed there essentially to manipulate our defensive formation.

It might look like a critique or at least a very concerned question about our defensive call. To me, it's more.

I am and have been concerned with the direction of the entire program because that picture is representative of what we saw during low points in previous games and seasons. It shows a seemingly unwavering loyalty to a particular approach. It shows that, if we think something will or should work, we'll stick by it even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it won't. On narrower levels, it shows:

- a conservative approach that is predicated on awaiting for the opponent to make mistakes
- a theoretical approach that hinges on players potentially doing things that don't maximize their talents
- that we *actually got a stop* on that particular play, and therefore some throw support behind instances of success instead of whether or not something we make decisions - a scheme, an approach, a general direction - that are sustainable in a meaningful way. For meaningful games.

Most of all, it all adds up to something bigger: a program many have associated with aggression now seemingly operates on fear.

Dude I took the same pic and was texting like a mad man. Look at the safeties and lb's depth .

Advertisement
Defense by its very nature is reactionary but that's the struggle. The best defenses are the ones who are able to dictate what the offense does. The more you can dictate the better you will be, has this defense dictated anything over the last 4 seasons?

Defense by its very nature is reactionary but that's the struggle. The best defenses are the ones who are able to dictate what the offense does. The more you can dictate the better you will be, has this defense dictated anything over the last 4 seasons?

I think the D is way to conservative but only a mad man is aggressive 100 percent of the time but Safety playing deep on a goal line?????? They no room behind you it makes no sense

Great post OP, unfortunately we've been posting pics like this for the last 4 games now and the mouth breathers simply ignore or tell you your a mope

Your trying to teach calculus to a bunch of ****** amateurs

Advertisement
Yes Fear fits perfectly. DInofrio is afraid to make the big mistake . By doing so he has a defense that feels chained up, unable to burst out and make a big play. There is no innovation. A high school coach could know where to g because the pre snap formations dont vary.

That picture is basically a synopsis of Onfrio's run here at the U.

I'll put it this way...I don't want to win that way. I don't want a team that , even if everything goes perfect, is going to basically be a Dave Wannstedt coached team. They play bend but don't break to another level...the only thing this approach is conducive to is a bunch of 19-16, 14-10, and 17-14 kind of wins. Maybe you get lucky and have a year like the Phins had with Pennington that one year and win a bunch of close games and basically luck yourself into a "good" year.

But every other year you'll be consistently losing 2-3 games a year that you shouldn't...cause you allowed lower level teams to hang with you due to the ultra conservative nature of Golden and his staff.

I can honestly say at this point I don't want him to succeed here at this point. I don't want THAT kind of team. The absolute worst thing that can happen at this point is we go on some sort of mini run and back our way into a 7 or 8 win year....which might be construed by the idiots that run our program as some sort of abstract form of "improvement".

We need an implosion at this point. The disease that is this coaching staff (and their entire approach to the game) needs to be eradicated from South Florida.

Advertisement
Amazes me still how we recruit these athletes in the secondary and we play them off the ball like they run 5 second 40's.

I could have hellen keller read me the stat sheet to tell me our defense sucks.

It's like when the allies made that fake inflatable army to attack Brittay when Normandy was the real target.

Prob too deep for this crowd but.......

BUTCH DAVIS!!

Advertisement
Back