Miami Lands 2016 WR Sam Bruce

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
July 4th may have passed, but the Hurricanes are keeping the fireworks going. 2016 St. Thomas Aquinas (Fla.) wide receiver Sam Bruce committed to the University of Miami this evening on 560 WQAM with the South Florida High School Sports staff.

“It was great down here. I promised these guys down here that I was going to commit with them my freshman year and I stuck to my word and committed with them. I’m very excited that I committed to the University of Miami and I’m really planning to turn things around down there.”

Bruce said family was a key factor into his decision and ultimately what led him to choose the Hurricanes.

“Family is a big thing to me because I love my family and I don’t want to have them in the predicament where they can’t watch me play or if something happens they can’t get to me. Now that I’m at home there’s no problem at all. They’ll be there for every home game and I can get full support from them.”

The 5’8 177-pound receiver took a trip to Coral Gables recently with his teammate Jordan Scarlett and said thats where he bought in to Al Golden’s plan.

“The last visit we took by ourselves, we really just had that one-on-one time with our positional coaches and talked about what’s coming in the upcoming years and I told him I was all-in with what they’re trying to do and I love the University of Miami and we’re looking to turn it around.”

The Aquinas Raider joins his fellow teammate Jordan Scarlett, who also committed to the Hurricanes today. Bruce said that the term “Teammate” doesn’t define them correctly.

“I don’t consider him as my friend or teammate anymore, I consider him as my brother. He’s been there for me. He’s one of the best big brothers you can have and he’s had a big impact on my recruiting process. Ever since my freshman year we’ve been hanging together. It’s great knowing he’ll still have my back down there at Miami and it’s gonna be a long-time great friendship.”

Bruce also talked about South Florida prospects and the idea of what would happen if the local talent stayed home.

“If all the talent from South Florida stays in South Florida like they used to, there is no reason why we won’t win a national championship. Myself, Jordan Scarlett, Dionte Mullins, we’re all in what we’re trying to do and hopefully we grab some other guys or switch some of them to come down.”

While Bruce still has two years remaining of high school, he sees it as a positive. The extra time will allow him more time to recruit other top prospects.

“Definitely Tyrek Cole, mainly guys that are older than me: Da’Vante Phillips, Devante Peete and I already know we have a strong quarterback in my class so I’m not worried about that. I’m definitely going to try and get Brandon Boyce and Rodrick Archer and have them join the University of Miami tradition.”

Many Hurricane fans see a familiar attitude of confidence and swagger that Bruce carries with him resembling that of old Hurricane greats. Bruce considers himself a passionate player and one that can’t be stopped.

“Of course, I bring a wind of energy to the game. I believe that my teammates will play off of my energy and if they see me get rallied up, they will get rallied up. I hone my skills, I stay in the weight room and I bring a lot of energy to the game and that’s what I can distribute to the University of Miami.”

Bruce’s message to Hurricane fans:

“You’re going to get a great guy, I know I have two years left of high school, but I know these three years will go by fast. I’ll blink my eye and I’m done tomorrow. They’re getting a great athlete and anything the coaches tell me to do and I’ll do it and a little bit more. I’m a hard worker and I have a passion for the game, when you have a passion for the game they’re nothing you can do to stop that.”

Highlights:http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2041971/highlights/112438375

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
121.jpg

Love this kid! Old school Cane swag! 2016 Can't get here fast enough! It's all about the U!!!

Heard his interview. Flat out this kid is the man. So happy to have a quality kid this mature on our side. Hard to believe he is only a junior.

Last edited:
Heard is interview. Flat out this kid is the man. So happy to have a quality kid this mature on our side. Hard to believe he is only a junior.

Honestly, he was more articulate than many NFL players. Steve Smith/Santana Moss type, Beast.

Advertisement
Heard is interview. Flat out this kid is the man. So happy to have a quality kid this mature on our side. Hard to believe he is only a junior.

Honestly, he was more articulate than many NFL players. Steve Smith/Santana Moss type, Beast.
Agreed. He's the Duke Johnson of the 2016 class. I'm very positive we will have the best class in the nation in 2016. And I think these two commits are signs to come for the 2015 class. Could be some good flips and commits coming our way.

He's very well respected like Duke was by his peers. People want to play with him. Gives us a big boost to our recruiting.

Recruitment of Cole, Ridley and SBB far from over like I expected, Good season can give us an edge.

Advertisement
I don't think my feelings have changed more with a prospect than Sam Bruce, from the last year comments and tweets to what he is saying now. shows you can't judge these kids too early

Everytime I read a Sam Bruce interview article, I read it in his voice. Kid sounds older than me

I've read that article 4 times because it's so refreshing. Every time I see a recruit do something stupid, I'm going to come back to Bruce's words in this write up. Miami doesn't need "the 1 recruiting class in the nation". That's all media bs. What Miami needs is to win the State of Miami that we all talk about. They need to keep the best players in their area home and them unleash them on college football. That's what The U is all about.

I am old but is he Kevin Williams, the kid from the 91' squad that was flat out ridiculous with LT and High C, Bell and Spencer? I heard Moss and Kevin Williams as guys from Miami that this kids game resembles. Yikes if true. The kickoff from NE 91' was Canes football, then Rusty sacked the QB 5 times and Kevin Williams was off the charts. I am confident this is the future.

Advertisement
I am old but is he Kevin Williams, the kid from the 91' squad that was flat out ridiculous with LT and High C, Bell and Spencer? I heard Moss and Kevin Williams as guys from Miami that this kids game resembles. Yikes if true. The kickoff from NE 91' was Canes football, then Rusty sacked the QB 5 times and Kevin Williams was off the charts. I am confident this is the future.

Perfect comparison in my opinion. I didn't like the Santana Moss or the Roscoe Parrish comparisons, but Kevin Williams is spot on.

Great stuff. This kid is elite on the field and seems to be the same way off of it. Duke's recruitment seemed like something we would only see once in a lifetime, but it feels like this could happen again. I know we've made comments about future classes having the chance to be "epic" or "biblical" but 2016, with guys like Bruce leading the charge could live up to those expectations.

Advertisement
watch this kid become one of the greatest leaders the university of Miami has ever seen

Anywhere between Kevin Williams and Santana. Think he's gonna have Santana's production, even though Kevin was great too. This kids leadership is beyond his years though, the heart of Michael Irvin, we got a special player last night.

Advertisement
Back