75 Zalon'tae Hillery

Hillary won't be a surprise to me. Kid caught my eye immediately at Paradise year before last. Insane potential and athleticism. He's no slob either. Dude looks like a power forward and moves like one too. With a good year with Gus under his belt I think he is ready to make a push for serious playing time and a starting spot is not beyond his reach although I think 2019 may be his true breakout year.

Don't look now but this OL is really starting to put the right pieces together. Expect to see this unit get better and better over the next 1-2 years. We're building something special here. Look at the embarrassment of riches we are stacking at the skill positions and we have all talked about how good we could be with good QB play. Add a dominant OL to that equation and this offense could really be something to behold. Exciting times indeed.

Advertisement
Some guy named Doug Gould is doing evaluations on incoming freshmen for the PBP. His write up on Scaife:

On Tuesday, 10 true freshmen will hit Miami’s practice field for the first time. Before we see them live during spring drills, Post contributor Daniel Gould offers a scouting report for each player, plus a grade, a projection and other interesting tidbits.

Gould is a Dallas-based data analyst who has been charting UM games for four years and reviewing signing classes for the last six. His evaluations are mostly based on reviews of high school highlight films, which are readily available on sites like Hudl and YouTube. He grades players on a 10-to-5 scale, rating their current skills and projecting their potential:

10: five-star caliber now, eventual All-American and immediate impact player.
9: upper-tier four-star, All-ACC caliber.
8: mid-tier four-star, impactful multi-year starter without as high a ceiling.
7: lower four-star, solid starter but not someone to build around.
6: high three-star, a role player with physical limitations that prevent a full-time starting job.
5: mid-tier three-star, likely a project or a special-teamer.
Below 5: Not a scholarship-level player at Miami.

Leading up to March 20, we’ll post Gould’s takes on UM’s early enrollees — the players who will participate in spring ball — and then move onto those arriving in the summer. (See previous posts below.

Next up: offensive lineman Delone Scaife, a prep All-American and one of three O-linemen Miami signed this cycle:

DELONE SCAIFE

Gould’s grade: 9

Scouting report: “Height is OK at 6-3 but has long arms and a thick build. Explosive burst forward off the snap. Smooth movements and good flexibility. Crushes on down blocks and moves players out of the hole. Climbs to the second level easily with good angles. Pulls a little high but identifies defenders well and strikes. Can absolutely stone rushers on jump sets. Not much of a punch but locks guys out when he gets his hands on them. Leverage in pass-pro isn’t great and doesn’t have the anchor to overcome the initial loss. Footwork is erratic and panicky. Trench bully who likes to get under the skin of the defense. Played all over the line in high school including defensive tackle. Teammate of signees Mark Pope and Daquris Wiggins for his senior year (at Miami Southridge). Really showed off at the Under Armour All-America Game practices. Has the chance to compete for an immediate spot if he performs well in spring practice. Mauling interior lineman who has the tools to grow as a pass blocker.”

Here’s Campbell’s

JOHN CAMPBELL

LGould’s grade: 6

Scouting report: “Nice length with a decent build. Good balance and positions himself well in pass protection. Pass-pro technique is clean with consistently good hand placement. Drives legs in the run game and is effective on down blocks when he locks on. Always looks for work and finishes plays. Good enough athlete to wall off second level defenders. Struggles to get across the face of down linemen in the run game due to a lack of quickness. Not very explosive and doesn’t make much of an impact on contact. Committed to Miami early over Florida. Won a state title as a senior. On campus for spring ball. Decent all-around tackle prospect but seems to lack the necessary physical capabilities to excel as a starter.”

More Campbell

A lot of what we do on the OL depends on what happens with St. Louis. Like if he switches to LT, I think theres a good chance that Donaldson could kick out to RT too....if Herbert or Hillery aren't ready. Anyways I'm thinking:

LT: Herbert or Hillery > St Louis > Campbell
LG: Boulware > Gauthier > Scaife > Gaynor
C: Gauthier > Gaynor > Dykstra
RG: Donaldson > Mahoney > Scaife or Reed
RT: St. Louis > Hebert or Hillery > Donaldson > Brown jr > Campbell

So I think this is what our depth chart will essentially be, and you can even see how things change when a guy gets injured. The only thing is, we might not want to actually mess with the Center. Like we might want whoever is center to stay as center all yr no matter what injuries happen to the OGs. Like it might be better to leave Gauthier at C, and just put scaife in or even kick Gaynor out to LG, if scaife isn't ready.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see Scaife at RT if St. Louis goes to the left side and the coaches are high on Gaynor. We're really starting to build some depth on the OL.

Tackle: St. Louis, Herbert, Hillery, Brown, Campbell, Johnson, Milo

Guard: Donaldson, Gaynor, Scaife, Boulware, Reed, Dykstra, Jones

Center: Gauthier, Mahoney

Advertisement
Finally getting some real quality depth on the OL. Can't wait for this unit to become a strength of the team.

I think he'll be the starting RT, I got St. Louis at LT this season he's been our best OT since Richt got here.

I was super high on Hillery in the 2017 class I liked him more than Herbert. I remember when it was coming down to the wire & he was still taking visits late to Kentucky, Duke & few other schools I was so glad we kept him. Kid has crazy upside.

My guess for the line going into Fall camp
LT - St. Louis
LG - Delone Scaife
C - Gauthier
RG - Donaldson
RT - Hillery

I think Cleveland Reed will get plenty of snaps at LG/RG as well, I think him & Scaife will be competing for the LG spot. I think Gaynor will be backup Center to Gauthier or a backup Guard too. Plus we get Boulware in the fall who is an interior lineman as well.

Hermano, Scaife/Gaynor/Donaldson in the middle for the 2019 season is going to be flat out monstrous AF...

I don't think St. Louis has the feet to play LT, where he'll be going against speed rushers more often.

Isn't Perry a lefty?!? Shouldn't be that big of an issue since LT will be his front side and not the blind side.

Advertisement
You can't just randomly switch players from RT to LT. It doesnt work like that. There was an interview with St Louis where he specifically addresses how difficult it is to make this transition. There is no point in ruining what's working now.

The OL should be like this:

LT - Hillery, Scaife
LG - Boulware, Mahoney
C - Gauthier, Gaynor
RG - Donaldson, Reed
RT - St Louis, Herbert

Everyone is penciling Scaife as a Guard based on his height but it is his arms that matter. And he has disproportionately long ones to keep DEs in check. And his feet are quick AF as well. Scaife will play LT for us unless Boulware doesn't make it in, in which case switch him down to LG to compete with Mahoney.

St. Louis has played LT here, albeit in small doses. I agree that keeping the right side intact would be best but this would mean playing someone with zero experience at LT.

The wild card is Donaldson...if he can somehow lock down the LT job it would be nice.

Advertisement
Back