7-6, a Bronx Tale

k9cane

Senior
So it's over. Miami's finishes the season at 7-6. Yeah, it is what it is. The Hurricanes ended the 2023 campaign with a 31-24 loss to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Early on the game looked like it would be a blowout for Rutgers as they raced to a 14-0 lead. Miami defenders seemed averse to contact whenever Kyle Monangai got the ball. But things settled down, and after a slow start, Jacurri Brown, started to lead the offense.

They actually had a 17-14 lead early in the third quarter. There was hope in Yankees Stadium that Miami would break their bowl drought, and hey, an eight win season is better than seven, right?

But alas, special teams blunders, ill-advised penalties, shoddy tackling and an offense that bogged down for much of the second half doomed them.

This season at one time held so much hope. And I don't want to make too much of this loss. The reality is that unless you're in the playoffs, bowl games dont mean much any more. The squads that you see from Labor Day weekend to Thanksgiving weekend, aren't the ones you're going to see in these corporately sponsored ballgames. With an influx of opt-outs all over the country, these games are really nothing more nowadays then an early extension of spring practice.

But once again the way this game was coached left a lot to be desired, and has you questioning certain aspects about Mario Cristobal's game management. Look, there's no questioning this guys ability to build a roster, and upgrade the talent, and create a solid culture.

However, the way he runs a game from the sideline has you questioning if he will always be a liability in a close game.

You can argue that him not calling a timeout on Rutgers last possession in the first half (which allowed a lot of time to run off the clock) was questionable. But the Miami offense was very methodical and perhaps he just wanted to make sure Miami got into the half down by just one possession, given the inexperience of his quarterback. OK, I can live with that.

But the lack of tempo on the drive where Miami was down 28-17 in the fourth quarter was maddening. Down two scores with under 11 minutes to go, if there was ever a time to go no-huddle and quicken the pace, it was at this point. Finally, at 31-17, the Hurricanes went tempo, and guess what, they were still grinding and methodical, as the took a lot of time off the clock.

Was that the slow-up, no-huddle offense?

It's why they had less than 30 seconds on the clock down by a touchdown after Tecory Couch recovered an onside kick. Then in the final maddening sequence, all four throws -- as they needed a touchdown -- were passes that were short of the sticks. Yeah, Cristobal is not the play caller, but at a certain point doesn't the staff have to let Brown know that they need to get the ball downfield just a little bit. Or, was he following their instructions?

The final completion from Brown to Xavier Restrepro was short of the first down, ending Miami's hopes. It was an appropriate ending for this game and season.

- Speaking of Restrepro, he had 11 catches for 99 yards, and a touchdown, to finish well over 1,000 yards. X put up one of the great statistical seasons in Miami history. Congratulations to him. I still don't get the derision he receives from a portion of the fan base. All this guy does is consistently produce and play hard. Is Miami really a better team without him moving forward?

- Rough day for Jacolby George. It wasn't just the lack of production ( 2 catches, 13 yards) but a series of key penalties that stifled a couple of drives. He also had a drop on a quick pop pass that looked to be set up for big yardage in the fourth quarter. George has been a productive player, but he's also been a petulant one at times who has hurt the team. Hey, you either coach it, or you allow it. Regardless, George really has to mature as a player moving forward.

- When I look back at this 2023 season, Rueben Bain will be one of the bright spots. This young man, who was the ACC Defensive Freshman of the Year, and made a slew of All-Freshman teams, was a consistent bright spot, and he surpassed all expectations in year one. We as a fan base better enjoy him, he wont be here for all four years (knock on wood). Bain gives us hope for the future.

- I have no idea where Brown stands on the quarterback pecking order at UM. Maybe this was his swan song. But I thought he showed some flashes, and over time he could develop into a really effective college quarterback. I was hoping to see some tempo to help him out, and spread things out a bit more, but maybe what was run today by Shannon Dawson is all that he's capable off at this juncture. You just wonder why we didn't see him sooner in the season, especially after his redshirt was preserved.

- Speaking of tempo, I thought Rutgers did a really nice job in employing it, as it kept Miami off-balance a bit defensively. You don't have to be Art Briles Baylor all the time, but mixing it in can really aid an offense.

- And there it is, another season in the books. I want to thank DMoney for allowing me to do this. It's been fun as always conversing with you guys. What do they say?

Misery loves company.

Advertisement
So it's over. Miami's finishes the season at 7-6. Yeah, it is what it is. The Hurricanes ended the 2023 campaign with a 31-24 loss to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Early on the game looked like it would be a blowout for Rutgers as they raced to a 14-0 lead. Miami defenders seemed averse to contact whenever Kyle Monangai got the ball. But things settled down, and after a slow start, Jacurri Brown, started to lead the offense.

They actually had a 17-14 lead early in the third quarter. There was hope in Yankees Stadium that Miami would break their bowl drought, and hey, an eight win season is better than seven, right?

But alas, special teams blunders, ill-advised penalties, shoddy tackling and an offense that bogged down for much of the second half doomed them.

This season at one time held so much hope. And I don't want to make too much of this loss. The reality is that unless you're in the playoffs, bowl games dont mean much any more. The squads that you see from Labor Day weekend to Thanksgiving weekend, aren't the ones you're going to see in these corporately sponsored ballgames. With an influx of opt-outs all over the country, these games are really nothing more nowadays then an early extension of spring practice.

But once again the way this game was coached left a lot to be desired, and has you questioning certain aspects about Mario Cristobal's game management. Look, there's no questioning this guys ability to build a roster, and upgrade the talent, and create a solid culture.

However, the way he runs a game from the sideline has you questioning if he will always be a liability in a close game.

You can argue that him not calling a timeout on Rutgers last possession in the first half (which allowed a lot of time to run off the clock) was questionable. But the Miami offense was very methodical and perhaps he just wanted to make sure Miami got into the half down by just one possession, given the inexperience of his quarterback. OK, I can live with that.

But the lack of tempo on the drive where Miami was down 28-17 in the fourth quarter was maddening. Down two scores with under 11 minutes to go, if there was ever a time to go no-huddle and quicken the pace, it was at this point. Finally, at 31-17, the Hurricanes went tempo, and guess what, they were still grinding and methodical, as the took a lot of time off the clock.

It's why they had less than 30 seconds on the clock down by a touchdown after Tecory Couch recovered an onside kick. Then in the final maddening sequence, all four throws -- as they needed a touchdown -- were passes that were short of the sticks. Yeah, Cristobal is not the play caller, but at a certain point doesn't the staff have to let Brown know that they need to get the ball downfield just a little bit. Or, was he following their instructions?

The final completion from Brown to Xavier Restrepro was short of the first down, ending Miami's hopes. It was an appropriate ending for this game and season.

- Speaking of Restrepro, he had 11 catches for 99 yards, and a touchdown, to finish well over 1,000 yards. X put up one of the great statistical seasons in Miami history. Congratulations to him. I still don't get the derision he receives from a portion of the fan base. All this guy does is consistently produce and play hard. Is Miami really a better team without him moving forward?

- Rough day for Jacolby George. It wasn't just the lack of production ( 2 catches, 13 yards) but a series of key penalties that stifled a couple of drives. He also had a drop on a quick pop pass that looked to be set up for big yardage in the fourth quarter. George has been a productive player, but he's also been a petulant one at times who has hurt the team. Hey, you either coach it, or you allow it. Regardless, George really has to mature as a player moving forward.

- When I look back at this 2023 season, Rueben Bain will be one of the bright spots. This young man, who was the ACC Defensive Freshman of the Year, and made a slew of All-Freshman teams, was a consistent bright spot, and he surpassed all expectations in year one. We as a fan base better enjoy him, he wont be here for all four years (knock on wood). Bain gives us hope for the future.

- I have no idea where Brown stands on the quarterback pecking order at UM. Maybe this was his swan song. But I thought he showed some flashes, and over time he could develop into a really effective college quarterback. I was hoping to see some tempo to help him out, and spread things out a bit more, but maybe what was run today by Shannon Dawson is all that he's capable off at this juncture. You just wonder why we didn't see him sooner in the season, especially after his redshirt was preserved.

- Speaking of tempo, I thought Rutgers did a really nice job in employing it, as it kept Miami off-balance a bit defensively. You don't have to be Art Briles Baylor all the time, but mixing it in can really aid an offense.

- And there it is, another season in the books. I want to thank DMoney for allowing me to do this. It's been fun as always conversing with you guys. What do they say?

Misery loves company.

Fire Guidry and Dawson

Dorsey OC, bring back Shannon as DC (I would also accept Ed Orgeron). Let's not half *** it anymore with our coaching staff, just go all-in with "UM GUYZ"

Fire Guidry and Dawson

Dorsey OC, bring back Shannon as DC (I would also accept Ed Orgeron). Let's not half *** it anymore with our coaching staff, just go all-in with "UM GUYZ"
200w (12).gif

Advertisement
depleted team, poorly prepared will usually will lead to a loss. Rutgers was an inferior team but they were ready and exploited our weaknesses like the block punt that was coming all season long but hey we’re ready and got it. Definitely missed the safeties and LT. the Oline was bad today so we need the big boys playing and not Rodriguez and cristobal Hope fletcher is fine. Restrepo was player of the year with all due respect to Bain who was a monster all year long. Let’s see how we do next yr as we do have two solid classes and we can better assess the team and coaching.

@k9cane, excellent write up as always. Misery is an apt description of Miami fandom now unfortunately.

We interacted briefly sometime back in November about Mario's level of self awareness RE offensive scheme issues. Have you had a chance to poke around to learn more from anyone in his camp? Does he see these issues or is he just full steam ahead on forcing the square peg.

It's mind boggling to see the lack of creativity, flow, and aggressiveness with this scheme. I get QB issues have been a factor, but good coordinators all over CFB seem to find more successful ways to work with inexperienced and/or handicapped QBs all the time.

It's just killer to go from a really well called and schemed game at BC to this.

Advertisement

Misery loves company.
Another great write up my friend.

Hit on all my points.

We need to play the portal wayyy more heavy than we currently are

Great write up.

Bright spots for this season - Rueben Bain, Significantly improved WR and OL (not elite but getting there), Kiko (so glad he's coming back), and actually really good CB play despite a group of smaller corners, recruiting class

Negatives - GT game, Mario's gameday coaching, QB room and position, TE usage, 1st Round/AA Kam Kitchens busted coverages to let up TDs (alot), missing on Jeremiah Smith, Dawson sucking or being handcuffed by Mario

Last edited:
Advertisement
7-6. Right on schedule. The average record the last 20 years. Bring on 2024 and another 7-6 to 8-5 season.

Advertisement

Misery loves company.
Funny how all of this could have been avoided. If only...... I guess he who shall not be named is having fun going to a NY6 game 2 out of the last 3 years and bringing in the #1 portal class (also brought in the #3 and #2 portal classes in 2023 and 2022). Oh well

I would add that we need to have players stick it out and play 4 years. There is an enormous difference betweeen freshman and sophomores taking on 4 and 5 year players and this game was exhibit A. Rutgers roster is littered with 3 star players but all sticking ot out 4-5 years. Cannot understate the importance of this. They were stronger and more mature mentally even though they were lesser rated. This did not happen in the 80’s, 90’s and 2000 teams. I get it that you should jump to NFL but with NIL now in play if we can hold on to some dudes via NIL this phenomenon can change. Cannot play young dudes against teams that have 4 and 5 year seniors and expect to win. This played a big role in our loss not just this game but throughout last 3 years.

Advertisement
Back