6 Games In....What Have We Learned

Oh boy, the mob is gonna come after you now!! Seek refuge and shelter!!!

(Great post, BTW)

As for the Oline, I read that we are going with Scaife at RT and kicking Donaldson inside(where he belongs). This is a good step, I still think we have too many JAGS on this unit and the underclassmen seem to have a much higher ceiling than the upperclassmen.

I'll say this again: outside of Clemson, who has more NFL material than UM in the ACC? This roster isn't perfect but it's also really good.

I agree Clemson has more NFL talent. But We should have more than anyone else, the ACC is not very good this year.

Advertisement
Don't bother with Fin, dude loves Rosier and will take any shot he can at Perry.

It's creepy to be honest

Your soft *** thinks that was a shot. Disagreeing with a poster's determination that the wheels were taken off of him in the second half when he actually threw the ball more in the first isn't a shot. The implication that Richt was holding Perry back is an incorrect one. He played poorly in the first half. If you can't handle that then get your ***** *** off the board.

Last edited:
Your soft *** thinks that was a shot. Disagreeing with a poster's determination that the wheels were taken off of him in the second half when he actually threw the ball more in the first isn't a shot. The implication that Richt was holding Perry back is an incorrect one. He played poorly in the first half. If you can't handle that then get your ***** *** off the board.

Sure thing Mrs. Rosier

What I have learned the good and the bad

The Defense is still solid and they keep improving game by game.

Miami has solid WR's and RB's.

The OL needs to improve big time if we plan on doing big things this year.

Perry has lots of potential but by the play calls on offense you get the feeling that Richt has the handcuffs on him throughout most of the games which is likely due to Perry's inexperience so its a wait and see if things continue that way or if Richt starts giving Perry more freedom as the season goes on.

Still garbage kickers that have cost us big time and could cost us any given close game and this is a major concern for me and most fans.

Miami has lots of slow starts in games which can be cause for concern a bit but that was the case last season as well and Miami did pretty good but hopefully Miami can start having more dominating complete games especially against the weak competition.

What I have learned the good and the bad

The Defense is still solid and they keep improving game by game.

Miami has solid WR's and RB's.

The OL needs to improve big time if we plan on doing big things this year.

Perry has lots of potential but by the play calls on offense you get the feeling that Richt has the handcuffs on him throughout most of the games which is likely due to Perry's inexperience so its a wait and see if things continue that way or if Richt starts giving Perry more freedom as the season goes on.

Still garbage kickers that have cost us big time and could cost us any given close game and this is a major concern for me and most fans.

Miami has lots of slow starts in games which can be cause for concern a bit but that was the case last season as well and Miami did pretty good but hopefully Miami can start having more dominating complete games especially against the weak competition.
Sorry but does ur reference to handcuffs mean the same as training wheels? I'm new to this stuff, only been a fan since 1970s. Just asking.

Advertisement
What I have learned.

This team is not ready to compete with the big boys yet.

The good thing is that they do not have to be ready at this point of the season.. There's still half a season left to go and the young players on both offense and defense should mature and get better.

The kicking and punting game obviously is the elephant in the room. It concerned me before the season started and it has made me feel worse as the season has progressed.
Hopefully we can improve to the point it does not come back to haunt us.

if you guys remember last year, Rosier didnt really start running the ball himself until after the first 5 games or so. I think letting Perry do this more often will help everything in the end. it should keep the defense more honest and free up passing lanes, etc. Richt definitely needs to use play action a lot more, since he seems committed to the run even if its not working. his offense is supposed be more of a pro-style offense but he isnt using the running backs in the passing game like they do at the pro level. he needs to start doing that a lot more.
I think these three things: Perry running more, play action and tossing it to the backs could really take the offense to the next level.

You know what team had really bad special teams at times? Our 1987 team. They were comical to some degree. And there was a guy named Feagles on it! Though that had nothing to do with it, the elder Feagles was really good. It was the snapping and coverage that got sideways.

Even Nick Saban doesn’t play around with his punters. He got JK Scott who was drafted in the 5th round (reason why Justin Vogel, who made a pro bowl, was cut by the Packers)

Advertisement
Perry is still being handled with training wheels.

... when the offensive line plays better, when the running game is more consistent and when receivers catch balls they're supposed to catch—this will chance.

You say "still" being handled this way; dude, the kid has started two games and (significantly) played in three. Relax. He just got in there as starter, after not being ready in spring, summer, or fall—forcing coaches to stick with Rosier. He is just now starting to understand what's going on, while showing the maturity needed to start at Miami. The playbook will open up in due time.

... when the offensive line plays better, when the running game is more consistent and when receivers catch balls they're supposed to catch—this will chance.

You say "still" being handled this way; dude, the kid has started two games and (significantly) played in three. Relax. He just got in there as starter, after not being ready in spring, summer, or fall—forcing coaches to stick with Rosier. He is just now starting to understand what's going on, while showing the maturity needed to start at Miami. The playbook will open up in due time.

What is this playbook being opened, you speak of? B/c for 3 years now we've been talking about this infamous playbook being opened. Could it possibly be that this is what it is?

What is this playbook being opened, you speak of? B/c for 3 years now we've been talking about this infamous playbook being opened. Could it possibly be that this is what it is?
Probably not. I've still yet to see us run Richt's Power Toss he made so many RBs at UGA 1st round money with.

Here's a little piece on it... http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/t.../23/jim-chaney-nick-chubb-and-the-power-toss/

The problem we have now is the two Golden Girls still hanging around on the O-line. We have guys that know what to do, but can't ahead of guys who probably can, but don't yet know how.

You see it on every film break down. We either get beat because an upperclassman got his *** whipped or because an underclassman missed an assignment. It's unfortunate, but right now we're stuck in a void along the o-line where we have talent and experience...just not talented experience.

It will get better though. Scaife emerging as a force at tackle is going to be huge. Not only does it allow ND to slide back to his natural position, but it forces Jones (one of the Golden Girls I mentioned above) to the bench.

If Cleveland Reed can step up and take Mahoney's reps before December, we'll beat Clemson's ***.

Advertisement
People can talk about the OL all day. Of course, if we had an all American OL we would be better….every team would. If Perry had six hours to throw of course he would look better.

Problem is…the OL is what it is…and yet Richt is still calling plays like he has an All American OL.

A simple adjustment to the Offense and that OL does not have to do as much to be successful. Perry was holding the ball for nearly 2 seconds or more on many pass plays…this OL is not going to consistently provide that kind of protection…Richt should know this by now.

Instead, he tries to help the blocking by often leaving the RB and TE in to block. Having just three WRs on third down does not help your offense.

Little things that go unnoticed like the FSU LBs playing run first on every play. The middle of the field was open all day. Even the few play actions that were called had the LBs toasted but there was no WR pattern to the middle of the field to take advantage.

Its stuff like this that makes the play calling so bad.

Advertisement
Back